watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why Are We Losing Our Kids?

Started by Mince n Tatties, June 13, 2019, 10:09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fernhurst

Well if this is becoming "the norm" snatching youth players before they sign contracts where is it going to end?
If the kid is not signed I figure an illegal approach does not apply?
Ten year old parents getting a new house?

Time the FA had a look at this and considered ways of improving situation.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Tabby

Quote from: Robertprocter1 on June 13, 2019, 10:35:28 AM

So I don't know but I share your frustrations, especially as we have a track record for actually playing youngsters.

Last season we gave a massive 18 minutes to Elliot, otherwise the the only youngster who played was Sess. The season before it was similar, 150 minutes split between all academy players other than Sess. Season before that, around 200 minutes if we are counting LVC and Woodrow as youngsters.

FFC1987

Quote from: Tabby on June 13, 2019, 01:33:19 PM

So I don't know but I share your frustrations, especially as we have a track record for actually playing youngsters.

Last season we gave a massive 18 minutes to Elliot, otherwise the the only youngster who played was Sess. The season before it was similar, 150 minutes split between all academy players other than Sess. Season before that, around 200 minutes if we are counting LVC and Woodrow as youngsters.

I think that's more a statement about the players than the club. if they are good enough, they will play. Sadly that's the truth of it. Players who have left haven't had much game time so it is what it is.

elgreenio

Quote from: FFC1987 on June 13, 2019, 02:17:52 PM

I think that's more a statement about the players than the club. if they are good enough, they will play. Sadly that's the truth of it. Players who have left haven't had much game time so it is what it is.

and those that left were probably considered our "golden generation" of youths, the current crop are a step down to start with
touch my camera through the fence

Chutney

Quote from: TommyFFCGun on June 13, 2019, 12:46:41 PM
Quote from: Chutney on June 13, 2019, 12:43:07 PM
Its widely known that Ali Mac doesn't allow youngsters who refuse to switch to a Fulham preferred agent to play for the first team. This is partly why some are choosing to leave, Matt O'reilly is by far and away our most talented prospect, even above Harvey Elliot, he won't feature for our first team because he won't switch his agent.

I imagine with Drameh its a similar story, frankfurt are hardly offering the bright lights and wage, they are just offering a realistic chance at game time once he's ready.

Really? That seems highly unlikely. What manager would tolerate that and if you're the owner you risk losing these kids even sooner because no matter how talented they are their development and path to the first team is blocked for non footballing reasons. If this is true then it is scandalous.

Unfortunately its the truth. We are rotten behind the scenes currently.
C O Y W

Chutney

Quote from: grandad on June 13, 2019, 12:54:33 PM
Can´t be that widely known as I havn´t seen any statement from the Club.

There is absolutely no chance the club would come clean and publicly admit to this policy, but its unfortunately true.
C O Y W

FFC1987

Quote from: Chutney on June 13, 2019, 02:27:21 PM

There is absolutely no chance the club would come clean and publicly admit to this policy, but its unfortunately true.

I can't say 100% whether that's true or not but I recall a story concerning a few of our youngsters who left and it being suggested this was a reason.

Tabby

I don't think you can blame the youth players like Cody Drameh for leaving then.

FFC1987

Quote from: Tabby on June 13, 2019, 04:35:22 PM

I don't think you can blame the youth players like Cody Drameh for leaving then.

I don't.

bog

I just hope it is not the thoughts and beliefs of T Khan that are responsible for them all moving. What is the point of having a youth set up then? I was looking forward to possibly seeing S Sess, Elliot an O'Riley come thought this season this season.

092.gif 

We Are Premier League

My understanding is that the sale abroad, most recently Germany, is particularly bad. They don't face the risk of a tribunal fee and will therefore bid even lower...

The domestic clubs, Everton most recently, will at least give some level of fee...

Sting of the North

Quote from: Chutney on June 13, 2019, 02:27:21 PM

So, Ali Mac has authority over the manager when it comes to picking the team?

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Surely it all has to do with the cost of running the academy, including scouting for youngsters against the income generated
from either sales or benefits to the first team and the club, on a short or long term.
I have no idea what the academy costs but let's say
2-5 million per year.
If we can bring through 'gems' such as Moussa 1, Smalling, Sess twins, Roberts, Aderninan, Saha, (maybe Drameh, Ellliot and O'Reilly)
and the sales vs expenditure is higher then that's good business, because that's all it is.
Overheads vs sales = profit.
It's no different to owning a house,

Income = X
Mortgage, maintenance, taxes etc etc = y
Estimated value increase = Z
Cost of alternative rental (dead money)
blah blah blah
Whatever the outcome of these equations is, defines whether the botom line is
a/. Favourable to the club
b/. A loss leader
c/. A taxable deduction
d/. An owners plaything (not so in Mr Khans case, I believe)

Let no one be under the illusion that the club is doing any of these kids a favour, it is not a charity.

Where it all goes to pot is vast sums of money spunked up the wall.
It doesn't matter how many replica shirts, programs, hot dogs, we sell.

We can blow away any of the profits from the academy by payouts to 'sacked managers'
or donkey signings.
Although it does seem we screwed the Cheese Man

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

The Rational Fan

Well, I guess the reasons we are losing our kids should be pretty obvious to Tony Khan, because i'm sure the parents, agents or players tell them. And, I guess the solutions would also be pretty obvious i) more opportunities, ii) better coaches, iii) better training facilities and iv) higher wages.

The only question is will these players would deliver value (or command a transfer fee) that makes it worth the money that is required to keep them.

"Why Are We Losing Our Kids?" the main Possible Reasons:
1. Lack of Opportunities in 1st Team. Analysis: most of the kids seem to move to teams with even less opportunities so i'd discount this.
2. Coaching Staff not good enough. Analysis: no one seems to suggest this as a problem, but if we can find a great academy coach that would help.
3. Training Facilities not good enough. Analysis: the club seems to be planning to spend on training facilities so this will be less of a problem.
4. Contracts Offered not good enough. I suspect this is the major problem, but no point wasting money unless their is sufficient reward for Fulham.
Can anyone think of any other possible reasons?

Personally, I suspect once (or if) we are an established Premier League Team, bringing players thought the ranks maybe part of the Khan's Plan, but right now any pound that counts for FFP spending needs to be spent to maximise Fulham's promotion push.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Fernhurst on June 13, 2019, 01:07:48 PM
Well if this is becoming "the norm" snatching youth players before they sign contracts where is it going to end?
If the kid is not signed I figure an illegal approach does not apply?
Ten year old parents getting a new house?

Time the FA had a look at this and considered ways of improving situation.

For players under 18, the problem is that players can get out of contracts they regret. Only English Law can fix that not the FA.

For players over 18, the problem is younger players wages are often high due to their potential and they count to the FFP spending.

RaySmith

The Khans have shown that they are prepared to put money into the club, so I don't see why our youth system which has gained such plaudits in the recent past, with a reputation for bringing on young players, has now become 'rotten behind the scenes', with progress to the first team blocked.

I think the recent failure of the first team has led to any problems, there might be, with our best youngsters not prepared to wait for a chance to get into a poorly performing first team, and seeking better elsewhere.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: RaySmith on June 14, 2019, 07:08:04 AM
The Khans have shown that they are prepared to put money into the club, so I don't see why our youth system which has gained such plaudits in the recent past, with a reputation for bringing on young players, has now become 'rotten behind the scenes', with progress to the first team blocked.

I think the recent failure of the first team has led to any problems, there might be, with our best youngsters not prepared to wait for a chance to get into a poorly performing first team, and seeking better elsewhere.

If I was Tony Khan and had some kid complaining about Denis Odoi blocking his path to premier league football, I wouldn't be building the future around such a player.

RaySmith

I wasn't saying it good thing that young players might feel more inclined to leave after relegation, just that this maybe a reason for young talent being more inclined to leave - if this is true.

Our faulure in the Prem after a period of such success, must lead to  some demoralisation around the club generally, though if the, optimistic seeming, Parker gets  good results and we are doing well,  there will generally  be more positivity  around club and fans .

The Rational Fan

Quote from: RaySmith on June 14, 2019, 07:41:49 AM
I wasn't saying it good thing that young players might feel more inclined to leave after relegation, just that this maybe a reason for young talent being more inclined to leave - if this is true.

Our faulure in the Prem after a period of such success, must lead to  some demoralisation around the club generally, though if the, optimistic seeming, Parker gets  good results and we are doing well,  there will generally  be more positivity  around club and fans .

Maybe, the reason these kids path has been blocked to the first team by Denis Odoi is "these kids just aren't very good". I couldn't imagine Paul Parker's path to the first team being blocked by our current established right-backs.

RaySmith

I don't think it's true that young players have been blocked.

If they are good enough they will get their chance, but I think there is an awareness at the club about putting young players in the spotlight too early, especially post-Magath maybe.