watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why Are We Losing Our Kids?

Started by Mince n Tatties, June 13, 2019, 10:09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toshes mate

It is the 'overall' manner a football club is run that determines and influences minds, both young and old, with attention, stability, perception of outlook, and consistency being factors that attract youth.  People, young and old, can take hard punches when they know either they can fight or there is a fighter leading their fight back.  Fulham lack that charismatic character in their upper echelons.  Lower down we may have a fighter in SP if he can tame the beast of his role as head coach but what if he is thwarted in the same manner as Jokanovic was?  FFC appeared not to know what it was doing from the end of May through the whole of last season - leaderless, rudderless, with a complete prat contributing to most of what went wrong.  The prat knows who he is. 

filham

Sean Davis, Patrick Roberts, Dembele and Ryan Sess. are the only youths I can remember us producing in the last twenty years or so that have made the grade in top class football and Sean Davis was pre academy. Something is not working, we should take a closer look at Southampton perhaps.

Tabby

Quote from: filham on June 14, 2019, 11:38:30 AM
Sean Davis, Patrick Roberts, Dembele and Ryan Sess. are the only youths I can remember us producing in the last twenty years or so that have made the grade in top class football and Sean Davis was pre academy. Something is not working, we should take a closer look at Southampton perhaps.

Neil Etheridge deserves a mention I think. He would be the prime example of a player leaving for peanuts that has done well.

Anyway, I'd say we've already taken a look at Southampton. That is where we got Jennings from.

I Ronic

In the last few seasons we have produced a better crop of players at Academy level. It follows that other Clubs would now pay closer notice and young heads will be turned. The one positive will be that we will attract better young players. The knack will be to develop a way of holding on to the talented ones. Im guessing it will involve a rule change somewhere down the line.

filham

Quote from: I Ronic on June 14, 2019, 12:57:12 PM
In the last few seasons we have produced a better crop of players at Academy level. It follows that other Clubs would now pay closer notice and young heads will be turned. The one positive will be that we will attract better young players. The knack will be to develop a way of holding on to the talented ones. Im guessing it will involve a rule change somewhere down the line.
So, where are these young players, a number have been talked about but apart from Sess. I never see them playing for our first team.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Neil Etheridge is mentioned above as one that got away but just look at his record. When he left he played for a load of dross until he was signed for Cardiff. Was that 7-8 years since he left?
Goalkeepers mature and even his way into the first team was by luck.
What is interesting is that at the moment we have a batch of goalkeepers in our U23 and Academy ranks who are the envy of the football world. Just look at our age group international players
I have said before on another thread that there will not possibly be room for all of them so someone is going to have to choose carefully .Some will stay, some will fall by the wayside and drop down the leagues, and others will go on to star for other clubs.
And so,the blame for letting them get away will start again!

Chutney

Quote from: RaySmith on June 14, 2019, 07:58:53 AM
I don't think it's true that young players have been blocked.

If they are good enough they will get their chance, but I think there is an awareness at the club about putting young players in the spotlight too early, especially post-Magath maybe.

Oreilly has 100% been blocked because he refuses to switch his agent.
C O Y W

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Where is the proof of this Agent rule?
Why has the club not admitted to their rule?
Why has an agent who is missing out not leaked this to the Press?
Perhaps O'Reilly not getting a game or bench time is circumstantial evidence of this rule but apparently Harvey Elliott can't wait to get out of the door and yet he is getting game time.
What agent is he with? Along with Sess I thought he was with a big Agent Agency.
I may be wrong with some of my facts but there is something about this story which could be true but has holes in it.

Nero

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on June 15, 2019, 05:12:36 PM
Where is the proof of this Agent rule?
Why has the club not admitted to their rule?
Why has an agent who is missing out not leaked this to the Press?
Perhaps O'Reilly not getting a game or bench time is circumstantial evidence of this rule but apparently Harvey Elliott can't wait to get out of the door and yet he is getting game time.
What agent is he with? Along with Sess I thought he was with a big Agent Agency.
I may be wrong with some of my facts but there is something about this story which could be true but has holes in it.

Or could be his  agent is asking for a stupid fee for his "work" and the club are refusing to pay it and have told O'Reilly hes going to ruin your career you want to think about changing him. i don't know but seems daft we would play one player that wants out the door and not another

The Rational Fan

It seems that anyone under 18 is more loyal to their agent than Fulham, unless we are developing players that want to play for Fulham even if they are good enough for a better team what is the point of developing them, except for a small transfer fee, which they seem to be able to dodge anyway.

The youth academy is required to fund player development without the developing club getting much reward. Fulham is not a show case (or train station) for players to demonstrate there skills to other clubs, we want players whose goal is to play for their club and country (like Jack Grelish for Aston Villa).

Mince n Tatties

Elliott on his way out according to papers
and radio.😠

Roberty

Why is anyone surprised?

They're with our academy in the first place looking for a future in the game and a route to the top. Since we're not at the top and are unlikely to be at the very top, we're always going to be a step on the ladder of a young boys career.

Most don't actually get onto the first step - each year we publish a list of players - mostly academy graduates - that are not going to be retained. I'm sure there are more of them than ones who are offered professional contracts.
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

grandad

I don´t know the benefit of the Academy when every promising U 18 leaves for merely development costs. We do all the hard work & the "big " clubs get easy pickings. On your bike Elliott. See you in 10 years playing non league football.. Our badge should be worn with pride, something you do not feel.
Where there's a will there's a wife

toshes mate

Quote from: Roberty on June 16, 2019, 09:37:44 AM
Why is anyone surprised?

They're with our academy in the first place looking for a future in the game and a route to the top. Since we're not at the top and are unlikely to be at the very top, we're always going to be a step on the ladder of a young boys career.

Most don't actually get onto the first step - each year we publish a list of players - mostly academy graduates - that are not going to be retained. I'm sure there are more of them than ones who are offered professional contracts.
A very rational comment.  There is, of course, also the 'parental' input which may influence choice of agent etc. in the case of anyone who is, legally, a minor.

One Martin Thomas

This is happening to the big clubs too with youngsters leaving for 1st team football or greener grass ! You can't predict who will go where but we've done our fair share of it too ! Modern game....

As we do bring on the better youngsters it does surprise me when our kids jump ship ! Drameh and Elliott should be first team players next yr if we let the Sess twins leave.

bigalffc

Quote from: grandad on June 16, 2019, 09:45:13 AM
I don´t know the benefit of the Academy when every promising U 18 leaves for merely development costs. We do all the hard work & the "big " clubs get easy pickings. On your bike Elliott. See you in 10 years playing non league football.. Our badge should be worn with pride, something you do not feel.
I'm with you Grandad, no loyalty left in the game. These youngsters don't deserve us supporters.
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

Roberty

Quote from: bigalffc on June 16, 2019, 10:47:07 AM
I'm with you Grandad, no loyalty left in the game. These youngsters don't deserve us supporters.

I wonder if Johnny Haynes would have stayed if Trinder hadn't made him the UK's first £100 per week player?

As a point of interest I understand that was a fraction of the weekly income that Trinder had.
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

David I

Quote from: bigalffc on June 16, 2019, 10:47:07 AM
Couldn't agree more... agents, players, Sky.. all down to greed now.

Bill2

I can see us doing a Brentford soon and scrapping the academy, why look to develop youngsters then the big clubs come in and take them for peanuts. Any youngster with half a brain cell know they will not get any first team games but more than likely go out on loan.
The FA has to do something to protect developing clubs hang onto their talent, not such a problem for the big teams but must be very frustrating for teams like Fulham.

Mince n Tatties

Leeds have made a substantial bid for Cody Drameh.