watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sess on as second half substitute

Started by Fernhurst, June 21, 2019, 06:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnOldBrownie

Someone explain to me why Ryan has been at the club the past 3 seasons if the interest from Spurs has been so strong?

Any one of the past two seasons he could have been sold then loaned back to Fulham correct? It's what people think will happen this year. What makes this year so special?

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: JoelH5 on June 21, 2019, 10:18:17 PM
Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on June 21, 2019, 10:01:42 PM
Quote from: jarv on June 21, 2019, 09:17:06 PM
Not bad news if Sess doesn't leave. He should recover his form of last season and value will rise again.

Actually it is bad news. He can leave on a free next year summer.

And what if he gets us promoted

He'll for sure leave the club on a free transfer. Just think of all the clubs who would want him after such a great season and not having to pay us anything for him. Yeah, that would be totally smart.

Two basic transfer market rules are this: You sell any player on your team when someone offers you more than what they are worth and you sell players before they have less than a year on their contract and you don't want them or they don't want you. Ryan Sessegnon chose not to extend his contract with FFC. He doesn't want us. He should be sold now.

AnOldBrownie

Rules are meant to be broken. It's a financial benefit to Ryan to play out his final year.

From a promotion standpoint..Ryan will probably score 15 goals for Fulham this season.

Nero

Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on June 21, 2019, 10:43:49 PM
Not bad news if Sess doesn't leave. He should recover his form of last season and value will rise again.

He'll for sure leave the club on a free transfer. Just think of all the clubs who would want him after such a great season and not having to pay us anything for him. Yeah, that would be totally smart.

Two basic transfer market rules are this: You sell any player on your team when someone offers you more than what they are worth and you sell players before they have less than a year on their contract and you don't want them or they don't want you. Ryan Sessegnon chose not to extend his contract with FFC. He doesn't want us. He should be sold now.

But if he gets us promoted that 100m more then we are going to get as a transfer fee

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on June 21, 2019, 10:41:57 PM
Someone explain to me why Ryan has been at the club the past 3 seasons if the interest from Spurs has been so strong?

Any one of the past two seasons he could have been sold then loaned back to Fulham correct? It's what people think will happen this year. What makes this year so special?

He was under contract at Fulham and wouldn't have gotten any playing time at Tottenham. He really hasn't been on anyone's radar for that long and Tottenham probably wasn't ready to buy him because of Ryan's small sample size of playing first team football at a high level. Now everyone has seen him for a full year in the Premier League and clubs should have a better idea of what he's worth now and will be in the future. This year is special because he has one year left on his contract and he refused to extend his contract. Fulham has to sell him now or get nothing for him next summer.

You should read Soccernomics. It's like the Moneyball of football. There is a lot of good, easy to digest football economics information in there. I don't agree with everything they argue for in it, but you can learn a lot of about what is going on between players, agents, and clubs from it.

Milo

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: Nero on June 21, 2019, 10:57:16 PM

But if he gets us promoted that 100m more then we are going to get as a transfer fee

We can also get promoted without him. That would mean we would get the millions from selling him and the millions from going up.

We could also not sell him and he could fail to get us promoted, and then we will still see him go on a free transfer. Lol at us if that happens!!!

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Perhaps if he is injured and needs a long treatment, assumingly paid for by us, he will 'man up' and sign a contract so
that when he does inevitably leave at some point, we can get some payback for allow for the 'schooling' he got.

Pen to paper Ryan, you owe us for your development
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on June 21, 2019, 10:58:19 PM

He was under contract at Fulham and wouldn't have gotten any playing time at Tottenham. He really hasn't been on anyone's radar for that long and Tottenham probably wasn't ready to buy him because of Ryan's small sample size of playing first team football at a high level. Now everyone has seen him for a full year in the Premier League and clubs should have a better idea of what he's worth now and will be in the future. This year is special because he has one year left on his contract and he refused to extend his contract. Fulham has to sell him now or get nothing for him next summer.

You should read Soccernomics. It's like the Moneyball of football. There is a lot of good, easy to digest football economics information in there. I don't agree with everything they argue for in it, but you can learn a lot of about what is going on between players, agents, and clubs from it.
So...after the season he just had...why is Sess more attractive to Spurs now than he was a year ago? Yeah...he played a lot of games and was only impactful in what...4 games?

Can a team pay a player a larger salary if there is no transfer fee paid to the team with the expiring contract?  Yes?

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on June 21, 2019, 10:37:54 PM

I understand the football concept of a club thinking they should get compensation for contributing to a players football career...but actually...do the Khan's really consider his contract running down a loss? The idea is...Fulham has a better shot coming back up with Ryan Sessegnon than without.

What do you think they will do with the $$ they get for Ryan??

Read Soccernomics. It's written for an American audience, like you and I. It'll explain the economics of why Fulham should sell Ryan better than I can explain to you and with more authority.

Selling Ryan Sessegnon has nothing to do with being compensated for bringing him along as a youth. He's already helped Fulham get promoted. Fulham doesn't need Ryan Sessegnon to get promoted again, it just needs a player or a couple of players to replace Sessegnon's value to the team. Think Billy Beane trying to replace Jason Giambi. Jason Giambi helped get the A's into the playoffs. Did they need Jason Giambi to get to the playoffs again? No, they did not. Did the A's replace Jason Giambi with another player or replace him by aggregating a couple of other players to equal his value? Sessegnon, like all other players, is replaceable. Fulham can find other players to replace him. This is why you take the money when it is offered before their contract runs out. This is how clubs maintain their solvency, if not eke out a profit, if not allow them to compete in whatever league they're in for a championship or in Fulham's case promotion to the PL.

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on June 21, 2019, 11:11:05 PM
Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on June 21, 2019, 10:58:19 PM

So...after the season he just had...why is Sess more attractive to Spurs now than he was a year ago? Yeah...he played a lot of games and was only impactful in what...4 games?

Can a team pay a player a larger salary if there is no transfer fee paid to the team with the expiring contract?  Yes?

HE JUST PLAYED AN ENTIRE SEASON IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE!!! People now have a better idea of his actual value as a footballer. Before that all they had was one full season in the Championship and a handful of games the year before. Teams now can make a better judgment on what he is worth... and there is the fact that he hasn't extended his contract with Fulham. Fulham has to sell now or see him leave for nothing next summer.

You're not seeing what football scouts are actually looking at. You're seeing that Ryan kind of sucked this past year relative to the level of competition in the PL. I saw that too. However, scouts are looking at how he did compared to what other players did at his age in the PL or other leagues. Clubs are measuring all kinds of things that fans don't ever notice (like how many feet it takes a player to get to a certain speed, so on and so forth). They've been doing this for a long time and can now compare Ryan to players in past seasons. This helps them to judge how he might progress as a player.

JoelH5

That wasnt my point. My point was if he gets us promoted, its worth it for him to leave on a free
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: JoelH5 on June 21, 2019, 11:55:20 PM

That wasnt my point. My point was if he gets us promoted, its worth it for him to leave on a free

I completely understood your point. I was telling you that I think you are wrong. It's not worth it to let him leave on a free if he were to help Fulham get promoted next season.

If he signs a contract extension, that would change things, but apparently he has done this so that Fulham will sell him this summer like any competently run club would.

Statto

Lyle from Hangeland:

You seem to be making two big assumptions

(1) That any fee we can command for Sessegnon this summer (and I mean the part paid up front, not any deferred, contingent component) will be more than the cost of "a player or a couple of players to replace Sessegnon's value to the team"

(2) That if we keep Sessegnon, and get promoted back to the PL, he'll still be just as determined to leave and won't sign a new contract at that stage

Personally I think both those assumptions are questionable

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: Statto on June 22, 2019, 12:49:53 AM
Lyle from Hangeland:

(1) That any fee we can command for Sessegnon this summer (and I mean the part paid up front, not any deferred, contingent component) will be more than the cost of "a player or a couple of players to replace Sessegnon's value to the team"

(2) That if we keep Sessegnon, and get promoted back to the PL, he'll still be just as determined to leave and won't sign a new contract at that stage

I didn't make the first assumption. I just said Fulham can find a player or players to replace him.

I have made the second assumption because Ryan Sessegnon hasn't extended his contract. That is a clear sign he is wanting out of FFC. He is obviously looking to move to a bigger club and bigger clubs are apparently courting him. Sure, he could change his mind tomorrow and extend his contract. And he could even do something crazy and see out his contract at FFC, and then sign a new contract at Fulham. The thing is though... that's highly doubtful, because he's being courted by teams playing in the Champions League who can afford to pay him a higher wage today. Why in the hell would he stunt his career opportunities and his finances to remain at Fulham? Because he loves Fulham so much? GTFO.

Statto

Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on June 22, 2019, 04:59:17 AM
Quote from: Statto on June 22, 2019, 12:49:53 AM
Lyle from Hangeland:

I didn't make the first assumption. I just said Fulham can find a player or players to replace him.

I have made the second assumption because Ryan Sessegnon hasn't extended his contract. That is a clear sign he is wanting out of FFC. He is obviously looking to move to a bigger club and bigger clubs are apparently courting him. Sure, he could change his mind tomorrow and extend his contract. And he could even do something crazy and see out his contract at FFC, and then sign a new contract at Fulham. The thing is though... that's highly doubtful, because he's being courted by teams playing in the Champions League who can afford to pay him a higher wage today. Why in the hell would he stunt his career opportunities and his finances to remain at Fulham? Because he loves Fulham so much? GTFO.

Ok so out of interest, if the Spurs offer is £10m and a replacement will cost £20m and an extra £1m p.a. in wages, do you still think we should "sell him this summer like any competently run club would"?

On the second item, my point was, if we're a PL club paying PL wages, the attraction of moving to higher-placed PL club (for whom he still won't be playing first team football) for only slightly higher wages (perhaps £70k pw at Fulham vs £80k pw at Spurs) the motivation may to move may be significantly less than it is now, where we're a Championship club paying Championship (albeit the higher end thereof) wages.

I also think it's highly debateable that he will "stunt his career opportunities" by turning down the opportunity to sit in Spurs' reserves for 2-3 years, and the fact "he loves Fulham so much" is indeed relevant to this debate. With all due respect I've now lost count of the number of valid points on this thread that you've either not understood or been unduly dismissive of. The situation is far more complex than you seem to appreciate, with lots of different factors and permutations.

I'm sure books like Soccernomics make a convincing read and I suspect it's books like, suggesting football can be distilled into simple economic concepts, that make people like Tony Khan think he can run an English club with no football experience. However most people on this forum have watched Fulham over many decades, from League 2 to the Europa League, and I'd suggest they can give you a lot more useful and comprehensive insight than a little book that's a tenner on Amazon.

Beamer

If it's a long term injury we will probably bid for him ourselves.

toshes mate

"Football is not merely a small business, it's also a bad one. Anyone who spends any time inside football soon discovers that just as oil is part of the oil business, stupidity is part of the football business."
― Simon Kuper, Soccernomics

Obviously very true when it comes to seemingly 'disgruntled' employees, inappropriately appointed DOFs, and nepotism ...

Statto

Quote from: toshes mate on June 22, 2019, 09:22:11 AM
"Football is not merely a small business, it's also a bad one. Anyone who spends any time inside football soon discovers that just as oil is part of the oil business, stupidity is part of the football business."
― Simon Kuper, Soccernomics

Obviously very true when it comes to seemingly 'disgruntled' employees, inappropriately appointed DOFs, and nepotism ...

Kuper is also famous for using a economics and a Tony Khan-style formula to predict Serbia and New Zealand would be the surprise packages of the the 2010 World Cup.

Naturally they both went out in the group stage.

Nero

Quote from: Beamer on June 22, 2019, 09:15:17 AM
If it's a long term injury we will probably bid for him ourselves.

:005: :005: