watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Inspired signings

Started by Finnans Right Peg, June 22, 2019, 08:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finnans Right Peg

Just wondered what you think was the one signing that you were unsure of at the time but turned out to be a great signing.

Most recent signing would be babbel.Then you would have the likes of Saha ,Boa morte and Hughes but for me the best signing in recent years was Brede both in value  and what he gave us .

Milo

Mitrovic perhaps? Up to a point?

Sir Alec of good Stock

Andy S

I haven't got a clue why we sign certain players. They don't all have to set the world alight. However they do all need to show commitment

Tabby

Quote from: Milo on June 22, 2019, 08:58:48 PM

I was completely expecting Mitro to be a class player. Just that Benitez didn't rate him for personality reasons.

Malone would probably be the one that surprised me most in recent years. Was expecting absolute dross after hearing what the Cardiff fans thought of him, and that they swapped him for Jazz Richards didn't bode well.

Statto

Quote from: Tabby on June 22, 2019, 10:13:52 PM
Quote from: Milo on June 22, 2019, 08:58:48 PM

I was completely expecting Mitro to be a class player. Just that Benitez didn't rate him for personality reasons.

Malone would probably be the one that surprised me most in recent years. Was expecting absolute dross after hearing what the Cardiff fans thought of him, and that they swapped him for Jazz Richards didn't bode well.

I will admit I thought Mitrovic would be a crap signing. IIRC he'd hardly played for Newcastle that season and I thought he'd spend most of his loan with us getting back to full fitness!

Woolly Mammoth

I thought Roger Brown had a massive impact and effect on the Fulham team. We need somebody like him now.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ALG01

well not saha, i thought he was brilliant and would set the place alight if given the right team and tigs was the man
BUT
Chris coleman, steve finan and the horse were all the sort of players I think of as inspired because two of them came from nowhere and cleman seemed his career was over and he took hios second chance...

i also thought that herrera was inspirational and so was cusack at centre back.. also morgan, pantsil and brevitt and so on aso forth plus Ivor

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 22, 2019, 11:02:25 PM
I thought Roger Brown had a massive impact and effect on the Fulham team. We need somebody like him now.

Roger Brown was the master at clearing the ball from the penalty area especially crosses. Close to the best aerial defender that i have ever seen, he would head balls that Fabri couldn't reach and too high for  Rico to catch. He played a very simple football with four moves clear it, pass it, cross it or shoot, while "dribbling is for babies not for Roger Brown". If we had a player like him last season, we wouldn't have been relegated this season. I was so sad we had to sell him, but we were virtually broke back then.

Art Vandelay

I was totally underwhelmed with the double signing of John Paintsil and Bobby Zamora from wet spam but they turned out to be gems.

Camel Club

Zoltan Gera. Didn't think at the time that he'd have been much more than a decent squad addition if I'm honest but what a player. Apart from the goals and the somersault celebration his commitment was something else. Even some 9 years on it's difficult not to watch his reaction at the final whistle against Hamburg without being deeply moved.

simplyfulham

Quote from: Camel Club on June 23, 2019, 08:47:44 AM
Zoltan Gera. Didn't think at the time that he'd have been much more than a decent squad addition if I'm honest but what a player. Apart from the goals and the somersault celebration his commitment was something else. Even some 9 years on it's difficult not to watch his reaction at the final whistle against Hamburg without being deeply moved.

Gera was exactly the one I was thinking of as well but you beat me to the punch.

Generally speaking, it's hard to get too excited about free transfers from West Brom, but he did some special special things for us didn't he?

Maybe an honourable mention for Mahamadou Diarra.

I know he has an illustrious list of clubs played for, but his massive injury problems were well noted. But my god when he was good he was unbelievable.

hovewhite

Quote from: simplyfulham on June 23, 2019, 11:06:50 AM
Quote from: Camel Club on June 23, 2019, 08:47:44 AM

Gera was exactly the one I was thinking of as well but you beat me to the punch.

Generally speaking, it's hard to get too excited about free transfers from West Brom, but he did some special special things for us didn't he?

Maybe an honourable mention for Mahamadou Diarra.

I know he has an illustrious list of clubs played for, but his massive injury problems were well noted. But my god when he was good he was unbelievable.
shame about diarra as was a gem .

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on June 23, 2019, 02:09:56 AM

Roger Brown was the master at clearing the ball from the penalty area especially crosses. Close to the best aerial defender that i have ever seen, he would head balls that Fabri couldn't reach and too high for  Rico to catch. He played a very simple football with four moves clear it, pass it, cross it or shoot, while "dribbling is for babies not for Roger Brown". If we had a player like him last season, we wouldn't have been relegated this season. I was so sad we had to sell him, but we were virtually broke back then.

Agree 100%
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

gang

Brian McBride, when I first saw he had signed I thought "oh no."

Barrett487

Barry Hayles was a big surprise as well. He started slowly, but became a real star.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Chris Baird and Aaron Hughes. Neither with a particularly high pedigree, but both became massively under rated for us.
Also Bullard.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Skatzoffc

Hangeland for me.

Class player
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

bog

I agree with all those listed. I would add Ray Houghton.

filham

Yes, find another Roger Brown and another Tony Gail to partner him and we would have one foot back in the Premier League