watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Refinding and enjoying a wonderful old movie

Started by love4ffc, June 23, 2019, 08:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

love4ffc

Flipping through the old movies on Amazon Prime last night with the wife and came across an old movie that I loved yet the wife had never seen.  We both loved the movie and it got me thinking about what other gems are out there for us to rediscover? 

The Movie was "Running on Empty" with Judd Hirsch, Christine Lahti and the deceased River Phoenix. 

Any suggestions for us? 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Matt10

"All the Right Moves" - Tom Cruise, Craig T. Nelson, and Lea Thompson.

Good American football movie, but of course more than that. Chances are you've seen it - but if not, that's a good one.

BestOfBrede

Hobson's Choice
Passport to Pimlico
The Lavender Hill Mob
Marvellous films

Woolly Mammoth

I very rarely watch films on TV due to work commitments. But I have just watched a film called " HEAT " with Robert De Nero and Al Pacino and Val Kilmer, my kind of film, if you have not seen it, I recommend it.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Jem

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 23, 2019, 09:40:03 PM
I very rarely watch films on TV due to work commitments. But I have just watched a film called " HEAT " with Robert De Nero and Al Pacino and Val Kilmer, my kind of film, if you have not seen it, I recommend it.
[/quote
One of my favourites. Also like LA Confidential and China Town.
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Jem on June 23, 2019, 10:17:29 PM
[/quote
yes I remember LA Confidential with Russell Crowe and Guy Pierce, that was good viewing, I cannot remember seeing China Town, I shall keep an eye out for that one and record it. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Milo

[/quote
LA Confidential is one of my favourites too. Detective film - my kind of thing! Se7en etc.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Mince n Tatties

Great movie,we have DVD of it.
There is a right clanger of a mistake in the filming of it though,outside the bank scene the guy with Pacino spots them coming out way back which was impossible, and the bags they filled with money they could hardly pick of floor,yet when getting chased down road they were light as a feather over their shoulders,they wouldn't be able to run with them.
The wife and I like looking for bloomers,we were watching one of the "Only fools n horses" the other day,it has 2 great cock ups in it.

Mince n Tatties

"Last Orders"
Fabulous stuff staring
Michael Caine, Bob Hoskins, David Hemmings,Tom Courtney, Helen Mirren,Ray Winstone.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: BestOfBrede on June 23, 2019, 09:32:58 PM
Hobson's Choice
Passport to Pimlico
The Lavender Hill Mob
Marvellous films

Fab British films.

Dodgin

The Blue Lamp watched yesterday on Freeview 81, lots of exterior shots of 1950a London.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

One night, a long time ago, me and my friends were having a drinking and movie night. We found this film on tv randomly. It featured Bob Hoskins and was directed by Shane Meadows. Being a fan of both, we settled down and watched it. "TwentyFourSeven". Black and white but absolute class film. Hoskins is on top form. One of his best since Mario Bros......(that last bit was a joke). In all seriousness tho, try and find it. Might be hard, think it's quite obscure, but well worth it.
There's also "The Warriors". Classic 70s film. And also "Once Were Warriors" which I picked up in blockbusters by mistake. Harrowing but very very good film from New Zealand.
If you want a bit of light heartedness "Love, Honour and Obey" is one of the best British comedies.
"Sexy Beast" with Ben Kingsley at his best.
And obviously "Lock, Stock and two smoking barrels".

And if you want foreign; "Pans Labyrinth" for Spanish and "Downfall" in German, for possibly the best all round acting of any film ever made.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Jem

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 23, 2019, 10:47:46 PM
[/quote
yes I remember LA Confidential with Russell Crowe and Guy Pierce, that was good viewing, I cannot remember seeing China Town, I shall keep an eye out for that one and record it. 
My mistake, it's one word, Chinatown. Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway. Jack spends half the film with a big plaster over his nose but I won't spoil it for you. Worth watching.
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: BestOfBrede on June 23, 2019, 09:32:58 PM
Hobson's Choice
Passport to Pimlico
The Lavender Hill Mob
Marvellous films

Also...... The Titfield Thunderbolt.
             The life and death of Colonel Blimp
             A matter of life and death
             Went the day well

Cornishnick

RaySmith

Quote from: Jem on June 24, 2019, 08:45:35 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 23, 2019, 10:47:46 PM
[/quote
My mistake, it's one word, Chinatown. Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway. Jack spends half the film with a big plaster over his nose but I won't spoil it for you. Worth watching.

Chinatown is a great film.

Jack Nicholson also starred in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - another old film I saw again recently, and it still seems  brilliant, and very relevant.

Also, Five Easy Pieces , was another good one. He also starred in the influential Easy Rider, and The Last Detail - all well worth watching again.

RaySmith

Quote from: Dodgin on June 24, 2019, 07:24:29 AM
The Blue Lamp watched yesterday on Freeview 81, lots of exterior shots of 1950a London.

Strong childhood memeories of watching the first British, and the only at the time, British TV police series - Dixon Of Dock Green, with Jack Warner -'Evening all'- who starred in The Blue lamp.
That showed an image of the police in this country, and crime here,  that contrasted strongly with American series like Dragnet.
Not so much difference today, I think, though our police are still, mostly, unarmed.

toshes mate

If you do not mind subtitles, here are a couple of thriller/mysteries which are brilliantly executed on film.  Both are up there with the best crime thrillers you will see.  Not oldies, but certainly goldies.

You should know that I am a great fan of Hitchcock's movies with my favourite being, narrowly, 'North By Northwest' (1959) which has the goof of all goofs that Hitchcock apparently chose to leave in the movie.  If you spot it you may understand why he left it there. (Hint: kids in films.)

'Tell No One (Ne le dis a persona)' (2006) is a French film about a doctor suspected, without convincing evidence, of killing his wife, who, eight years after the discovery of her body, seems to be sending him anonymous messages over the internet ...

'The Secret In their Eyes (El secreto de sus ojos)' (2009) is an Argentine film about a retired federal justice agent writing a novel using an old closed case as his source, being dissatisfied with the official outcome.   This film was remade in English (with Nicole Kidman), but the original is very much superior.