https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Refinding and enjoying a wonderful old movie

Started by love4ffc, June 23, 2019, 08:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

the right stuff - a film about the start of the US manned Space Program

FFC1987

How old does the film have to be because I think I'll watch the departed till I do the same.

I'm a bit of a horror fan so George A Romero films are my go to.

ALG01

Quote from: BestOfBrede on June 23, 2019, 09:32:58 PM
Hobson's Choice
Passport to Pimlico
The Lavender Hill Mob
Marvellous films

Hobsons choice is a brilliant film, it is sort of forgotten by the masses, love it.

filham

I watch Talking Pictures Channel which runs a lot of old British films, great stars, plots and filming. Funny thing is you can clearly hear every word that is spoken.

WindyCity

Absolutely, in my humble opinion of course, one of the All Time Great Comedies ever made....."Some Like it Hot".

Old movie, made in 1959, just a tad outdated, but still holds up very well, even today.  A real Hoot and a Half.

Mince n Tatties

A couple who have been on channel 81 a few times,"The Long Memory" John Mills,and "Went the day well"... Two smashing films.

NogoodBoyo

The first film I saw about a real life serial killer during and after WWII in Notting Hill formulated an early opinion on the perils of capitol punishment.  It haunts me to this day, even though I only saw it once in the seventies.
Filmed in 1971, it starred Richard Attenborough (in an unforgettable role), Judy Geeseon and John Hurt.
Nogood "dismembering '10 Rillington Place', isit" Boyo

bog

Ealing Studios made many wonderful films. The Lavender Hill Mob is my favourite from there. But otherwise Deliverance is just about my top film.

092.gif   

bog

Quote from: filham on June 24, 2019, 05:13:30 PM
I watch Talking Pictures Channel which runs a lot of old British films, great stars, plots and filming. Funny thing is you can clearly hear every word that is spoken.

+1 I like to look at the old cars, empty roads and spot actors in their yoof. There a film sometimes on called Cosh Boys and near the end there is Roy Bentley caught on camera explaining football in a yoof club.

092.gif

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on June 24, 2019, 06:16:41 PM
A couple who have been on channel 81 a few times,"The Long Memory" John Mills,and "Went the day well"... Two smashing films.

"The long memory" is typical of the great almost forgotten, or in my case never seen films that pop up on TV and really grip you.

Another gripping film is "49th Parallel"  ...........In the early days of World War II, a German U-boat is sunk in Canada's Hudson Bay. Hoping to evade capture, a small band of Germans  attempt to cross the border into the United States, which has not yet entered the war and is officially neutral. Along the way, the German soldiers encounter brave men such as French-Canadian fur trapper Johnnie (Laurence Olivier) and soldier Andy Brock (Raymond Massey).

bobbo

I'm not much of a film watcher , poor concentration span.
But when on a flight which I am a fair bit , can't resist watching "the graduate" if it's available and maybe "sleeping with the enemy" (julia Roberts)
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Holders

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on June 24, 2019, 09:30:08 AM
Quote from: BestOfBrede on June 23, 2019, 09:32:58 PM
Hobson's Choice
Passport to Pimlico
The Lavender Hill Mob
Marvellous films

Also...... The Titfield Thunderbolt.
             The life and death of Colonel Blimp
             A matter of life and death
             Went the day well

Titchfield Thunderbolt but, yes, good call.

I'd add The Admirable Crighton.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Stoneleigh Loyalist

My favourite film as a youngster 'Hue and Cry' made not long after the War.
A classic comedy filmed largely on location and showing the bombed areas of Central London around what is now the South Bank area.
Loads of kids involved in the big chase across the bombsites to catch Jack Warner (?) and the crooks.
Every kid who saw iy would have wished they could have been part of it.

bog

Quote from: WhiteJC on June 24, 2019, 01:16:24 PM

Have you read the book that this film came from?

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on June 25, 2019, 10:38:20 AM
My favourite film as a youngster 'Hue and Cry' made not long after the War.
A classic comedy filmed largely on location and showing the bombed areas of Central London around what is now the South Bank area.
Loads of kids involved in the big chase across the bombsites to catch Jack Warner (?) and the crooks.
Every kid who saw iy would have wished they could have been part of it.

Brilliant film!
Also starring Alastair Sim & a young harry Fowler!

dgnffc

love4ffc

Quote from: dgnffc on June 25, 2019, 04:03:17 PM
I love watching 'Goodbye Mr Chips'
Love Peter O'Toole will have to look this up as a rental. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

WhiteJC

Quote from: bog on June 25, 2019, 02:08:44 PM
Quote from: WhiteJC on June 24, 2019, 01:16:24 PM

Have you read the book that this film came from?

yes I have, interesting read by Tom Wolfe. I read it after I saw the film but I wish I'd read it before. Chuck Yeager was a boyhood hero of mine, if he'd gone to University he probably would have been one of the first US astronauts? 

clanky

Can't bear Will Hay films especially 'Ask a policeman' which finished at Brooklands circuit at Weybridge.

Old, simple humour and you can see how modern comedians took their lead from him

He used to live at Sunbury, not sure he was a Lillywhite though !

Forever Fulham

King Rat...1965 WWII  movie...Changi Prison(?), Singapore.  Aussie, Brits, and American POWs of camp run by Japanese.  James Fox, good performance.  Tom Courtney, excellent.  But the scrounger, American George Segal, maybe his greatest performance. 

Also recommend Viridiana, Luis Bunuel's masterpiece.  1961.  In Spanish.   Bunuel also made That Obscure Object of Desire (1977).  I haven't seen it in decades, but I remember being wowed by it.