watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

V A R

Started by ex-Pat, August 16, 2019, 11:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ex-Pat

Love the Championship, none of that useless game destroying V A R nonsense,,,,,,,,,,C O Y W.

bobbo

I must agree with you, I know it's making sure the decisions are correct but I don't like it , it seems alien to our lovely game, an invasion, and it was swings and roundabouts before. MONEY  is definitely the reason behind it.
There I've said my bit.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

grandad

VAR & Hawkeye are fine in Rugby, Cricket & Tennis all of which have natural stoppages of play. Football is a more flowing game & it is not suited.
Where there's a will there's a wife

filham

I thought Huddersfield's goal last night was a result of goal line technology. Is there a difference between goal line technology and VAR.

bobbo

Quote from: filham on August 17, 2019, 12:42:46 PM
I thought Huddersfield's goal last night was a result of goal line technology. Is there a difference between goal line technology and VAR.
yes you're right but we were just discussing VAR separately .
1975 just leaving home full of hope

YankeeJim

I also come down against VAR. I forget which one, but I saw a match two weeks ago where VAR called back a goal as offside when the replay showed that you'd need a micrometer to determine if it was offside. Besides, an attacker who fakes a defender into going the wrong way can be called offside for making a fine play. As imperfect as they are, I prefer refs making the calls. Besides, we'll always need some questionable calls to stir the debate in the pub afterwards.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Spirit of 2000

VAR thus far has ruined most games its been used in that I've seen. Not a fan ..  it takes ownership away from officials... and should be only used for clear and obvious errors. .. its not.

Zoppa77

Catch 22 situation. Enjoy flowing football but also want the correct result at the end of the day. Had VAR been in use last season FFC would be playing EPL. Either way, it's here to stay and will improve over time.

Watford_fc

We had a penalty shout last week not given for a much more deliberate handball than the one Man City did which lead to their goal being disallowed against Spurs yesterday.

Not very consistent then .. or getting clear cut decisions right .

toshes mate

It is still a human being calling the shots using two dimensional VAR as distinct from a referee or assistant calling them in three dimensions.  And frankly many of the decisions in VAR I have seen have been highly controversial.  I don't think it solves anything since a TV broadcast monitor has nowhere near the resolution of the naked eye even if a still camera does have sharper resolve.  It is a folly to believe a camera does not lie because a human eye is fallible.  Both are equally fragile and fallible when it comes to what is correct.  Technology is not the answer to better decisions - consistency is.  Train referees in numbers sufficiently large to ensure only the true competent gets to officiate the better games.  VAR is another avoidance of the individual responsibility that society seems so frightened of in this day and age.

cookieg

Offside is offside whether it is 1mm or 12 inches. VAR is there to get the decisions right and it is getting them right. Unintentional handball which leads to a goal being disallowed as in the Spuds game yesterday does seem harsh but thems the rules.

If VAR had been around a few years ago then there wouldn't have  been the "hand of God" goal. Would anyone have complained about VAR then?

toshes mate

Quote from: cookieg on August 18, 2019, 09:22:02 AM
Offside is offside whether it is 1mm or 12 inches. VAR is there to get the decisions right and it is getting them right. Unintentional handball which leads to a goal being disallowed as in the Spuds game yesterday does seem harsh but thems the rules.

If VAR had been around a few years ago then there wouldn't have  been the "hand of God" goal. Would anyone have complained about VAR then?
The handball was pretty obvious to our goalie at the time and judging from the decisions I have seen even VAR at that time there's no telling what decision would have been made.  Some of the greatest events ever human beings have recorded still have controversial accounts when it comes to the truth about them.

The Cravenette

The disallowed goal last night was strange. No one saw the hand ball.  The defenders didn't appeal, the ref as far as I could tell,  hadn't asked for a review. Surely when it's that slight and is not seen at all on first look it should not go to VAR.

Skatzoffc

Personally I like VAR. Decisions have all been correct with the rules from what I've seen. So no probs there.

I do have a worry for the future tho.
The rule about hand ball that leads to a goal is an unnecessary rule. I really don't understand why it was brought in. It only works against attacking play. Not if it's a defensive action as far as I'm aware.

So my worry is... How many more unnecessary rules will be brought in to "spice up the game" for the armchair viewer. We could end up with the garbage computer game sport of F1 in football before long if stupid rules are brought in like this. The rules that have changed the sport of F1 all help the strongest teams win and stop small teams getting anywhere. It's a dead sport now imo.

I worry football may go the same way.

Does anyone know where this rule originated from?
Or whether the club's were consulted? It's a major rule change that appears to have come from nowhere imo.

Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

snarks

It's the offsides that get me, last week it was Stirling's shoulder, it should be on feet as if a striker is leaning towards goal and the defender leaning away it should make no difference.

I think VAR will kill the game, it's supposed to be to stop clear and obvious errors not a check on everything IMHO

Watford_fc

Quote from: Skatzoffc on August 18, 2019, 11:11:26 AM
Personally I like VAR. Decisions have all been correct with the rules from what I've seen. So no probs there.

I do have a worry for the future tho.
The rule about hand ball that leads to a goal is an unnecessary rule. I really don't understand why it was brought in. It only works against attacking play. Not if it's a defensive action as far as I'm aware.

So my worry is... How many more unnecessary rules will be brought in to "spice up the game" for the armchair viewer. We could end up with the garbage computer game sport of F1 in football before long if stupid rules are brought in like this. The rules that have changed the sport of F1 all help the strongest teams win and stop small teams getting anywhere. It's a dead sport now imo.

I worry football may go the same way.

Does anyone know where this rule originated from?
Or whether the club's were consulted? It's a major rule change that appears to have come from nowhere imo.

All the clubs voted for VAR I think this summer having rejected it last year.

Not sure about the rule itself but does seem to be pretty harsh and petty.

I do think it hasn't helped that certain managers and players berated officials for getting even the most minor thing wrong meaning they've all felt so under pressure that they need some help and have no confidence in their own ability to decide for themselves.

Nero

Quote from: cookieg on August 18, 2019, 09:22:02 AM

1mm isnt clear and obvious 12 inches is. Var is still down to human judgement 1mm you may have paused a frame to soon

F(f)CUK

I hate the new rules re handball. Worst new rule in a long time.

Fulhamfan666

I love it.

Win some decisions and lose some.

Mince n Tatties

Worst thing ever,will kill the passion in the game.
As one Burnley player said,"Why don't they just make us play with our hands tied behind our backs"