watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Parker's Managerial Style

Started by MikeCdawg, August 17, 2019, 02:48:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeCdawg

We haven't drawn a game under Parker's tenure in 13 games. (Nailed on for millwall game now  :doh: )

This has got me thinking, what do you all think of his style of play, is it win or bust, simply try to score more than the opposition? Not too dissimilar to Joka's style. Do you think he has simply reverted back to Joka's style or has he stamped his own brand on the team?

The Rock

At the moment similar to SJ, because of the players he has and the style they give him and the league we're in.

It is easy to say they will need to adapt against better teams, and the pressure is on managers for this, but similar to SJ's dilemma last year, it comes down to the quality of players available.

I do think this team is better than it was a year ago and SP will be able to continue to add more and find his way.

WolverineFFC

Think it is early to say for sure tactically what he is. But you can see the possession style he likes. His man mgmt looks to be immense. Thought it was outstanding his interactions with Cav after the match along with the rest of the coaching staff.

I think he is going to be a manager who likes to adapt tactics to opponent, players, and game situations based on his tenure thus far. A lot of comparisons to SJ, but I see where he has adopted several Pochettino like managerial styles which makes sense after bringing Wells over as his #2.

filham

Early days and we have yet to see us against a top Championship side such as Leeds.

He is prepared to mix it more than Jocanovic, we see the odd long ball occasionally and his late substitutions when we are leading are pure. defensive.

WhiteJC

until the defence is sorted we'll need to score a lot of goals so we have to be an attacking side. I can't see many 1-0 games this season

Tabby

Quote from: whitejc on August 17, 2019, 01:35:29 PM
until the defence is sorted we'll need to score a lot of goals so we have to be an attacking side. I can't see many 1-0 games this season

There has been one shot on goal the last two games. The defence has been about as solid as you can expect.

Main problem in the last two has been linking midfield and the forward line. Looked good in the second half against Huddersfield so hopefully it is coming.

Jimmy Hill

1st half on Friday the players looked really street wise by slowing the game down at every opportunity. I feel it had clearly been spoken about as at the start of the second half Fulham upped the pace of the game and Huddersfield couldn't cope. Seemed a deliberate plot and one which worked well. As for playing style looked very similar SJ as both play 4 3 3

toshes mate

Quote from: Jimmy Hill on August 18, 2019, 08:54:28 AM
1st half on Friday the players looked really street wise by slowing the game down at every opportunity. I feel it had clearly been spoken about as at the start of the second half Fulham upped the pace of the game and Huddersfield couldn't cope. Seemed a deliberate plot and one which worked well. As for playing style looked very similar SJ as both play 4 3 3
Judging Parker's comments after the game he thought the exact opposite to this. First half too rushed (going too early); create from the back steadily and ruthlessly in the second half (build up and keep pressure applied). 

WindyCity

Quote from: Tabby on August 17, 2019, 02:09:14 PM
Quote from: whitejc on August 17, 2019, 01:35:29 PM

There has been one shot on goal the last two games. The defence has been about as solid as you can expect.

Main problem in the last two has been linking midfield and the forward line. Looked good in the second half against Huddersfield so hopefully it is coming.

Let's hope the offense can get sorted and be more productive, like we saw second half v Hudd.  To be honest, I could see quite a few 1-0, 0-0 matches if FFC offense can't improve.  I do think we have some pretty good players on the forward, but over the course of 3 games has not looked particularly dangerous.  Also, nice to see defense improving over last two games.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Cannot you experts realise that they are still learning to play together particularly as both wingers must learn when to shoot and when to pass.
A brilliant second goal but other tap ins missed by wingers not shooting and not passing.

WindyCity

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on August 18, 2019, 05:10:54 PM
Cannot you experts realise that they are still learning to play together particularly as both wingers must learn when to shoot and when to pass.
A brilliant second goal but other tap ins missed by wingers not shooting and not passing.

Ouch!!

My own personal view is that this whole notion of "learning to play together" and "gelling/bedding in" is way over rated.  These players, whether in the Prem or the Champ and even some of the lower leagues, are all professional athletes, and have played this sport their entire lives, and are very good at it, to be at these upper levels.  By now, they should know when to shoot and when to pass.  A player coming into a game as a sub or as a player with a team he has never played for 'should' be able to do his job professionally regardless.  Go ahead, and knock me down for this viewpoint, but I do believe gelling is way over rated.  It sounds nice, and gives fans a reason to hope for future successes, but these guys are pros and should fit in with minimal hand holding.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

They have got to learn when other players are going to make runs and where they are going. In the best teams this becomes an instinctive thing knowing the individuals style.In the Blackburn game Reid made some intelligent runs next to Mitro but did not receive the ball simply because he was new.

Milo

So.. do we all think Parker's style is just Jokanovic Mark II with an improved front line and we just haven't clicked yet?

I posted a few "what is Parker's style?" Threads towards the end of last season and concluded we were seeing glimpses of him reintroducing Joka's style. Seems that's the plan?

In which case, why not get Joka back? Or do we think Parker offers us more man management?

Nero

Quote from: Milo on August 18, 2019, 06:54:16 PM
So.. do we all think Parker's style is just Jokanovic Mark II with an improved front line and we just haven't clicked yet?

I posted a few "what is Parker's style?" Threads towards the end of last season and concluded we were seeing glimpses of him reintroducing Joka's style. Seems that's the plan?

In which case, why not get Joka back? Or do we think Parker offers us more man management?

Its similar to Joka but Scott also thinks about defence and defending a lead

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: WindyCity on August 18, 2019, 05:21:33 PM

Ouch!!

My own personal view is that this whole notion of "learning to play together" and "gelling/bedding in" is way over rated.  These players, whether in the Prem or the Champ and even some of the lower leagues, are all professional athletes, and have played this sport their entire lives, and are very good at it, to be at these upper levels.  By now, they should know when to shoot and when to pass.  A player coming into a game as a sub or as a player with a team he has never played for 'should' be able to do his job professionally regardless.  Go ahead, and knock me down for this viewpoint, but I do believe gelling is way over rated.  It sounds nice, and gives fans a reason to hope for future successes, but these guys are pros and should fit in with minimal hand holding.

Spot on 👍⚽️
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 19, 2019, 02:20:50 AM

Ouch!!

Spot on 👍⚽️

So far Knockaert and Cavaleiro seem individually brilliant but both lack the team work of Ryan a Sessegnon and hence not as good. I am hopefully that both wingers will get better at teamwork, because if they become more cohesive their individual brilliance will be a bonus rather than their whole game.

RaySmith

I'm sure they will  fit in to the team, and  be aware of the players around them, increasingly with every game.
And the other players will get more used to them, anticipate their runs, crosses, know  what they are capable of, respect their ability and commitment, etc.

Last season we seemed to have a bit of a problem  with earning the other players  respect re commitment with some  expensive acquisitions, probably on high wages - from comments made by Tim Ream, anyway. Certainly  some fans thought this.

I think we have the potential to be a very good team.

toshes mate

Ouch!!

Even light has to utllise the forces of gravity to bend around objects that are too great for it to pass through directly.  Team sports require team players.  Even the best players played better when their skills were understood by both them and those around them and maximised.  Gelling in partnerships is what human beings try to do from the moment we are born.  When it works it can be beautiful and when it doesn't it can be plain ugly or even painful and dangerous.  Professionals at work should fit in, but, sadly, the evidence says it will not happen all by itself.

We Are Premier League

Quote from: Nero on August 18, 2019, 11:33:47 PM
Quote from: Milo on August 18, 2019, 06:54:16 PM

Its similar to Joka but Scott also thinks about defence and defending a lead

...and for a fraction of the cost.

Jimmy Hill

Quote from: toshes mate on August 18, 2019, 09:18:36 AM
Quote from: Jimmy Hill on August 18, 2019, 08:54:28 AM
Judging Parker's comments after the game he thought the exact opposite to this. First half too rushed (going too early); create from the back steadily and ruthlessly in the second half (build up and keep pressure applied). 

Yeah i saw he said that. i was there, the difference in the pace of the game was so different 1st and 2nd half. I think maybe he means we were more composed in 2nd half but the speed in which we did things was so much quicker 2nd half.