Main Menu

Betts is shocking

Started by DevonFFC, September 14, 2019, 02:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevonFFC

Just cost us this game, sooner he is sitting in the bench the better

junior white

southwest6

have to wonder how many more points he can cost us before being dropped.

Always been a fan of Betts, however Rodak surely deserves his chance now.

Bassey the warrior

Cost us 2 points. Got to be dropped now. Been calling for it for a while.

Sgt Fulham

I like Betts but I Rodak must be wondering why he's not getting a chance right now.

RoyTund

I haven't really seen enough Rodak. Betts is an average keeper that is now having a rough time. If he was better than that then maybe we could give him more chances.

Spirit of 2000

FFC1987

I think he has to be dropped after seeing the goal. Thats shocking.

Fulham1959

Did any other players make one mistake today ?

bahay18

he was actually having a good game until then . On the goal he decided to get in a fight with austin rather than watch the ball . Austin definitely shoved him but no chance the ref would see that . For sure he is running out of chances . That said , i think the manager was more at fault . We lost the midfield after 60 mins after their changes and we needed another tackler in the middle. Bobby reid wasn't in it and should have been  replaced . Could have also taken off knockhaert or cav , both stopped tracking back and went missing after we scored. Interesting knockhaert said after the game they thought it was game over at 1-0 and thats exactly what it looked like. Hopefully a bit of international week hangover and we get back to it next week.

DevonFFC

Quote from: Fulham1959 on September 14, 2019, 02:59:58 PM

Yes but the problem is a goal keeper has one job, stop the ball hitting the back of the net at all costs. Flapping a cross and gifting a goal is an mistake which has massive consequence, a misplaced pass often goes unpunished.

The life of a goalie and hence why a mistake prone one costs you goals and ultimately points

Lighthouse

Keepers make mistakes. That is life. But Betts is experienced enough not to be put off by the pushing Austin inflicted on him. I wouldn't say Betts is shocking. But he has been, shall we say disappointing. His mistakes of being beaten at near posts and poor at crosses is becoming more than a nuisance. 
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

WindyCity

Quote from: DevonFFC on September 14, 2019, 03:06:32 PM

Yes but the problem is a goal keeper has one job, stop the ball hitting the back of the net at all costs. Flapping a cross and gifting a goal is an mistake which has massive consequence, a misplaced pass often goes unpunished.

The life of a goalie and hence why a mistake prone one costs you goals and ultimately points

Totally agree.  Goalkeeper mistake today, and he rightly deserves the blame.  I still think this defense is leaky and always susceptible to corners and close in free kicks.  But our goalkeeping needs some improving as well.  Tough draw today, two points just pissed away.

Statto

Betts is a legend but if he starts the next match it will be an insult to Rodak and the rest of the squad.

..FOF..

Mitro made a mistake of not scoring.

There. Give Rodak a chance and line up a good replacement for Mitro to come off around the 65th min if he fails to score next time.

Woolly Mammoth

I cannot defend Betts on this occasion which was such an avoidable goal not to concede. The thing is, if he had any doubt, why did he not shove it over the bar for a corner, and play safe. I am convinced that the presence of Austin unsettled him, but he has not helped himself today. We had enough possession and chances to win 3 0. However, the way we were dominating we have to be more ruthless when putting teams to the sword. Albion are not a bad side and will be in and around the top six.
Slavic pulled a couple of rabbits out of the hat to salvage a point, and the worrying thing is they nearly won it in the end.
That last 20 mins we lost our way, and they freshened up their team, took a few risks, and it payed off.
By then we should have built up a lead, we cannot defend 1 0 leads for half an hour, we are not good enough, and we shouldn't be doing it anyway.
Disappointing as it was 2 points unnecessarily thrown away.
Nevertheless, I was impressed with our play when we had them on the rack, some of our passing movements were sublime.
Plus we have a far better set of players than last years couldn't careless big time Charlie's and Deadwood we we're lumbered with.
So I am reasonably happy, but we need to get back to winning ways, sooner rather than later, to keep up with the leading pack. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Statto

Quote from: ..FOF.. on September 14, 2019, 03:35:34 PM

Mitro made a mistake of not scoring.

There. Give Rodak a chance and line up a good replacement for Mitro to come off around the 65th min if he fails to score next time.

A comparable analogy would be, imagine Mitrovic was a bang average Championship striker instead of the best in the league. Imagine he had not impressed all season so far, then made a mistake today which cost us the game, eg a silly sending off. Then imagine we had a young academy lad on the bench who was rated just as highly as Mitrovic, itching to make his debut. Would anyone still be saying Mitrovic should start the next match?

Twig

Quote from: bahay18 on September 14, 2019, 03:00:24 PM
he was actually having a good game until then . On the goal he decided to get in a fight with austin rather than watch the ball . Austin definitely shoved him but no chance the ref would see that . For sure he is running out of chances . That said , i think the manager was more at fault . We lost the midfield after 60 mins after their changes and we needed another tackler in the middle. Bobby reid wasn't in it and should have been  replaced . Could have also taken off knockhaert or cav , both stopped tracking back and went missing after we scored. Interesting knockhaert said after the game they thought it was game over at 1-0 and thats exactly what it looked like. Hopefully a bit of international week hangover and we get back to it next week.

I agree with this. It is balanced and sensible. I was at the game and until the goal Betts had done absolutely nothing wrong; not a single misplaced pass, not a fumble, no problems with high balls, nothing. Austin clearly fouled Betts but even as a Betts supporter I agree he should have done better.  However some of the criticism from previous games was totally unwarranted and, in the extreme, has amounted to trolling.  Should he be replaced for this? Possibly, but if he retains his place I will not be concerned. We also missed two chances to put the game beyond reach in the first half and I don't see anyone arguing we should drop our forwards!

ffc73

Knockaert made a mistake when crossing the ball for Mitro but I did not mind that

However.  Rodak was MotM v Southampton & since then we have conceded 2x league goals. Both stoppable & Betts did not keep them out.  If I was Rodak I'd be banging on Parker's door now and enquiring exactly why I was kept @ Fulham & not sent out on loan again.  Assuming it is because I'm considered good enough to start then "when boss, if not now?"

Tabby

Is there anything that Betts can do to warrant dropping him? He has to face around 3 shots per game, he can't make much more than one mistake per game by any reasonable measure.