News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I really don't mind not getting promotion this year, ideally will get inext year

Started by Steeeeeeeeeed, September 14, 2019, 02:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steeeeeeeeeed

I would not mind a year of playing well, as we have been, and building for next season.

I honestly will be quite happy if we end the season in a play off place, but not going up. I think if we did go up this year, we would probably come straight back down. But if we continue to develop and get a core of structure,  I think it will be good to go up next year instead, especially with the new stand etc.

Just feels like a good year to think longer term, let Parker develop his skills, support him and enjoy some of the great football we are generally playing.

FFC1987

Sgt Fulham

Knockaert will be gone, Cav will be gone, and someone may poach some of our better players. If we don't go up this year, it may be a while. That's why I'm so frustrated at a draw against WBA. For automatic, draws may as well be losses.

WindyCity

Quote from: Steeeeeeeeeed on September 14, 2019, 02:55:02 PM
I would not mind a year of playing well, as we have been, and building for next season.

I honestly will be quite happy if we end the season in a play off place, but not going up. I think if we did go up this year, we would probably come straight back down. But if we continue to develop and get a core of structure,  I think it will be good to go up next year instead, especially with the new stand etc.

Just feels like a good year to think longer term, let Parker develop his skills, support him and enjoy some of the great football we are generally playing.

I mind.

:)

The Enclosurite

Got to be this season. There is no way this squad will be stronger next season, will be the opposite if anything.
¡COYW!

Statto

Agree with the last four posts. Questionable whether any of Cavaleiro, Knockaert, Reed, Reid and Arter will stay on, bigger clubs will be sniffing around Mitrovic, Cairney, Mawson and Sessegnon and the residual players like Odoi, Johansen and Ream will all be a year older.

love4ffc

I can understand what the OP is saying and I would agree if this was the last time we came down.  However as others have pointed out I do think we would get hit hard with players leaving if we do not get promoted this season. 

Better to get promoted and keep the majority of the players we have and improve the squad over the summer.  Hopefully get mid table and stay up next season.  049:gif
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

ffc73

Have to disagree with OP. Got to be this season and with this squad it should be achievable.

So  :031: with today and this season so far.  Too many points dropped & no tempo to our game. We are actually quite boring to watch with an apparent lack of understanding that the objective of the game is to score goals to win games. You get nothing at the end of the season for 'pretty possession football'.

Really annoyed. Atmosphere today was like a mortuary & you are just waiting for our mistake for the opposition to score. Collective pulling of finger our from our lot is required if this season is not the first of a gradual decline.

Woolly Mammoth

You cannot pick and choose when and how you are going up, you grab your chance when you can at the first opportunity, otherwise you will miss the boat altogether, these players will just move on, and your stock is further reduced.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Spirit of 2000

This team will be ripped apart if we dont go up this year... and if we arent promoted its a massive underachievement

fulhamben

I wouldnt mind a string of games where we played well, let alone a year. I find us boring and ineffective for the majority of the time. We look like a solid mid table team, who as others have pointed out, will be exceptionally weaker in all areas next season
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

WindyCity

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 14, 2019, 03:53:22 PM
You cannot pick and choose when and how you are going up, you grab your chance when you can at the first opportunity, otherwise you will miss the boat altogether, these players will just move on, and your stock is further reduced.

Couldn't agree more.  NOW is the time for this club.  On paper at least, this is as strong a championship side as can be put together, leaky defense and all.  I am becoming concerned about the lack of offensive productivity.  This offense should be doing much better.  But promotion this year should be a realistic goal AND expectation.  Grab your chances now, while you have a very good squad.  Sadly, this very good squad has left at least 7 points on the table, very disappointing.  Hopeful for a turn around and some more positive results.

filham

Can't think of next season yet .
Right now I wan't us to be in a promotion race but after today it looks as if we could well be cast adrift to midtable mediocrity at the best.

SP

Definately want success this season.  The ticket touts will have a field day if we're in the top flight next season.

The Old Count

We're going to end up around 13th to 7th. I can accept some teams doing better than us but Rangers, Charlton, Preston and Bristol City? FFS.  The players and management deserve a kick up the backside.

west kowloon white

Bored the whatever off me today- can't see us going up and if it happens would need a total rebuild again....not bothered.

Jem

Quote from: The Old Count on September 14, 2019, 08:48:37 PM
We're going to end up around 13th to 7th. I can accept some teams doing better than us but Rangers, Charlton, Preston and Bristol City? FFS.  The players and management deserve a kick up the backside.
A kick up the backside is exactly what they need., and for goodness sake, work on corners and set pieces. As much as I really hate to say this we need an upgrade on the keeper too.
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

JEEVES

I agree in some ways if we thought we could retain all of these players but I personally think there is absolute zero chance of improving this squad next season if we fail to go up. I think our squad or certainly our starting line up consists of players who have either been sold a dream of guaranteed promotion or player loyal players (mitro, TC) who could easily get a prem move but have also bought into the plan for automatics this season.

Can you really see mitro staying AGAIN if we don't go up and there's top tier clubs enquiring? There's loyalty and then there's just wasting your career by playing a level below where you should be. Mitro for example is a proper international starter for his country. TK has done a great job to retain his services this season but I just can't see it happening again.

The Old Count

Quote from: JEEVES on September 14, 2019, 10:05:53 PM
I agree in some ways if we thought we could retain all of these players but I personally think there is absolute zero chance of improving this squad next season if we fail to go up. I think our squad or certainly our starting line up consists of players who have either been sold a dream of guaranteed promotion or player loyal players (mitro, TC) who could easily get a prem move but have also bought into the plan for automatics this season.

Can you really see mitro staying AGAIN if we don't go up and there's top tier clubs enquiring? There's loyalty and then there's just wasting your career by playing a level below where you should be. Mitro for example is a proper international starter for his country. TK has done a great job to retain his services this season but I just can't see it happening again.

If the players leave next year because we don't get promoted then fine, they are the ones who have failed. We are  currently 10th in the table. If they were that good we would be doing better.

JEEVES

Quote from: The Old Count on September 14, 2019, 10:16:16 PM
Quote from: JEEVES on September 14, 2019, 10:05:53 PM

If the players leave next year because we don't get promoted then fine, they are the ones who have failed. We are  currently 10th in the table. If they were that good we would be doing better.

I totally agree with what you have said here.. but I still think we are yet to click and we will, and we will go up.

I'm just saying if we don't, I cannot see us starting the next season with a better squad than what we have now.