News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I really don't mind not getting promotion this year, ideally will get inext year

Started by Steeeeeeeeeed, September 14, 2019, 02:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

Naturally we have an expectancy, even with a defence that can cause concern. However, it's easy to be sucked into a knee jerk reaction after what can only be described as a disappointing draw after having twice as much possession as Albion, and twice as many attempts i.e. shots. Of course we should have been more clinical in front of goal.
Nobody could foresee that an individual mistake by a Fulham
Player was going to happen. You cannot blame the manager for that, as if that error had not occurred, and we went on to win 1 0 which was highly likely, then we would all be praising the team for a deserved win and keeping a clean sheet, and we would all be looking at Fulham in joint 4th, 3 points behind the leaders.
So let us not beat ourselves up over it.
Let's move on and look forward to taking on Sheffield Wednesday and beating them at Hillsbrough, we should fear nobody, but we are not quite the finished article, and as I have said before, injuries, suspensions and loss of form will have a huge bearing on how our season will pan out, nothing is certain except the occasional disappointment like today. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

::off_Topic:: I think that Fabri, Anguissa and Seri may get big transfers fees at the end of the season; but if they don't and we don't go up, then we will be selling players left and right. As soon as we start selling players for budget options, then Mitrovoic will also be leaving. This season is our best chance.

toshes mate

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 14, 2019, 03:53:22 PM
You cannot pick and choose when and how you are going up, you grab your chance when you can at the first opportunity, otherwise you will miss the boat altogether, these players will just move on, and your stock is further reduced.
Spot on, Woolly.  You seize opportunity when you have opportunity, and it applies to every game and every side playing in a game.  To think otherwise is suicide.

Twig

Really enjoyed a lot of what I saw yesterday, not boring at all.  We play an ambitious, modern style and when it clicks it's great to watch.  I think our supporters have to accept this is the Fulham way now and get on board.  I hate it when I hear groans from the crowd when we knock it around at the back and recycle the ball, much better to be positive and get behind the lads.

Berserker

We really have to sort out our inabilty to score and our error prone defense before we will be good enough for promotion. On paper we have a good enough squad for promotion but we just aren't hitting the right buttons to win

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Berserker on September 15, 2019, 07:23:28 PM
We really have to sort out our inabilty to score and our error prone defense before we will be good enough for promotion. On paper we have a good enough squad for promotion but we just aren't hitting the right buttons to win

We need 2 points per game to achieve automatic promotion, if we win the next three games then we are back on track (i.e. 10 games and 20 points). Don't Panic.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 17, 2019, 05:25:18 AM
Quote from: Berserker on September 15, 2019, 07:23:28 PM

We need 2 points per game to achieve automatic promotion, if we win the next three games then we are back on track (i.e. 10 games and 20 points). Don't Panic.

There's that word again that gets used a lot on here.
"IF", little word with huge meaning.
If only Betts hadn't dropped a clanger,If only their goalie hadn't made good saves,If only Tom hadn't hit the bar...😜

Robbie

I am not sure why any middling team would want to get promoted to the PL at all, or the fans.

You get beaten a lot for much higher ticket prices.

FFC is expensive enough.

Spirit of 2000

Quote from: Robbie on September 17, 2019, 08:36:52 AM
I am not sure why any middling team would want to get promoted to the PL at all, or the fans.

FFC is expensive enough.

I agree in fact about the unattractive side of promotion, the premiership etc etc. Getting promoted is a million times more enjoyable than trying to survive in the premiership ... and no I don't love watching the superstars of City & Liverpool destroying us - BUT this isn't a middling side by this divisions standards - it's a top side carrying a large wage bill. Should we not be promoted then the side will be torn apart and we will be up against it FFP wise in terms of a rebuild. Would we want to "do a Sunderland"? I think not & you can bet that the owners will not be tolerant of failure given the backing they've given to try and get us up this year - this is why there is a massive expectation and need for Parker to deliver promotion.

Sting of the North

FFC is expensive enough.

What's the ideal season then? Aiming for 7th? Or suffer a playoff final loss is maybe the absolute best? If there is no aim to improve then what's the point of participating in a competition?

WindyCity

Quote from: Sting of the North on September 17, 2019, 04:03:27 PM

FFC is expensive enough.

What's the ideal season then? Aiming for 7th? Or suffer a playoff final loss is maybe the absolute best? If there is no aim to improve then what's the point of participating in a competition?

Yep, spot on.  I've never understood fans in this forum pining for staying put in the Champ and having "enjoyable" football and the prospect of seeing more "wins".  As opposed to the Prem struggle.  I'm sure every player, coach, team has aspirations to be the best, to improve, to get promotion from whatever league they happen to be in, and eventually land top flight.  That is what 'sport' and athletics are all about, striving to be the best.  Sure, the Prem is brutal.  But so what?  It doesn't mean you will lose every game you play.  There are small victories that can be achieved by a FFC in the Prem, such as a mid table finish and the occasional win/draw v a top 6 club. 

RaySmith

Agree Windy City - pro sport is all about competition,  and trying to win the next game, and if you win enough games, you gain promotion, win too few, and you  are relegated.

A team like Fulham can, and  has had, historic victories  in the Prem, and a chance to test themselves against the very best. Look at Norwich at the weekend, their fans will always remember that brilliant  win.

Fulham fans have seen the real down days  of football  supporting, and also experienced the highs of mid-table Prem finshes, beating teams like Man U and Liverpool, and a European final -our highs all the  sweeter after experiencing the worst lows, but even in the  bottom Division team and fans are always  aspiring to do better, to rise up to another level.

WindyCity

Quote from: RaySmith on September 17, 2019, 04:45:24 PM
Agree Windy City - pro sport is all about competition,  and trying to win the next game, and if you win enough games, you gain promotion, win too few, and you  are relegated.

A team like Fulham can, and  has had, historic victories  in the Prem, and a chance to test themselves against the very best. Look at Norwich at the weekend, their fans will always remember that brilliant  win.

Fulham fans have seen the real down days  of football  supporting, and also experienced the highs of mid-table Prem finshes, beating teams like Man U and Liverpool, and a European final -our highs all the  sweeter after experiencing the worst lows, but even in the  bottom Division team and fans are always  aspiring to do better, to rise up to another level.

Bingo that!  Great points....and as you aptly point out, Norwich fans won't soon forget that great win this past weekend.

Twig

Of course we should 1. Want to win every game 2. Be ambitious to want the outcome i.e. promotion . No brainer.

Woolly Mammoth

This is the challenge, we cannot stand still because we will get over taken. Staying in a make believe comfort zone won't win anything, or improve the club or the players, without ambition and aspirations your confined to a cul-de-sac, whereupon you will be tied to being also rans, and we have tread that path before and almost went out of business.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.