watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

40 minutes between us and the ashes

Started by bobbo, September 15, 2019, 11:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbo

If we could have hung on for that last period in the last test - and of course if we win this one which looks likely - the ashes would be ours. Oh well 2020-2021 might just have to go down for the Sydney test.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

gang

Went to the Sydney game last series, excellent time and found the Australians very friendly.

bobbo

Yes gang , they are in the main.

It's just some and only some of their cricketers have a bad attitude.

Typical example starc takes a middle order Bangladeshi wicket in the world cup this year and laughs with hand ove his mouth at the batsman.

I can't help but get infuriated by this kind of behaviour --- and I , with a daughter in Sydney --- go down there a lot.

It's getting better by the moment just need smith out now.

gang

He's out now, we are thinking about going back to Sydney next series.

SP

Haven't been able to watch a great deal this series but from what I've seen we didn't deserve to win.  Some of the choices of shot have been school boy standard.  The Aussies (in particular) seem to appeal for everything, even something that is obviously high, wide or pitching leg side. Which is even more tedious when they don't use a review. Hopefully we'll put up a better showing next time.

bobbo

Gang I'll see you there. I'll be going 3rd and4th day.

gang

filham

Well not a bad summer, a draw in the test series and we won the one day World Cup.

All very tight but I think at the end of the summer the aussies would be pleased to have our overall results.

Plodder

I think it has been a superb summer for cricket, and I hope it will reignite more sustained public interest in the game. In the Test series, Cummins and Hazlewood were consistently top quality, Labuschagne showed he can be a fixture in the Australian team for the next few years, Broad took Warner's technique apart, and Archer showed he has X factor quality in first class cricket too. The three things above all from the summer  which will live in my memory are Smith's relentless, insatiable run scoring, Stokes's extraordinary match winning innings at Headingley, and the finish to the World Cup final. Stokes's innings was a rare gem, and although I shall see some brilliant innings, I don't expect to see a last wicket Test match winning innings of that quality in my lifetime again; and I don't think there will ever again in anyone's lifetime be another World Cup Final last hour more exciting or gripping or closer than the one we saw. Still gives me a frisson of excitement to think about it.

If England plan properly, we have a very good shot at winning in 2021-22 in Australia.  Archer, Stone, Wood, Mahmood - we shall have some serious pace suitable for Australian surfaces.  We need a couple of middle order batsmen, too. and opener to go with Burns.  Australia with strengths and weaknesses similar to ours - could be another nip and tuck series.  The more I think about it, the more tempting a trip to visit the British/Australian relatives in December 2021.

The Rock

I hate cricket. BUT - I was in Oz for Ashes '06, and also Oktoberfest in Germany stranded with the only English speaking peoples I could find, the Aussies. Great party and they are a great bunch.