watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Have we ever introduced ourselves?

Started by Airfix, November 05, 2010, 04:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carborundum

Started watching football at the age of six, supporting my home town team, outside London.  Loved the excitement, the crowd, the uncertainty of the game and became hooked on live matches.  Adored their old ground.  No two stands were alike and we were right on top of the pitch.  Enjoyed various ups and downs with kind and friendly people.  Night matches were the best – nothing beats floodlights.  When they demolished the ground to move out of town it was very sad.

Dial forward and by the time our son was six, he was showing similar excitement about football and was ready for a live game.  But the long drive was out of the question and he deserved what I had enjoyed – a local team to follow.   Four nearby clubs, all of which I had visited, but which to choose?  Well, you know the answer to that one – the ground I most enjoyed visiting as an away supporter, even when stood amongst the dandelions of the Putney End.  A place my son could experience the highs and lows, without any sense of entitlement.  

After a season sitting in various places as members, the two of us have been season ticket holders in the JH stand for the past four seasons and it's been terrific.  The Cottage remains a special place and long may that continue.  

My favourite moment at the Cottage came as we arrived for a game and my son said:  "Dad, when you get to the top of the stairs and see the pitch, do you get a tingling feeling in your tummy?"  I suspect he may become as hooked as I am. On the pitch the 6-0 QPR massacre, LVC's breakaway goal, Berba's ball control and Bryan Ruiz's scoop against Bolton have been particular highlights.  Say what you like about Bryan, there wouldn't be too many players that have sparked a backyard challenge in the way that goal did.  I liked him.  Games get won and lost, but magical moments endure.

But my favourite recent player is Dickson Etuhu.  The best standing tackler I have seen and so many of our defensive woes seem to stem from failing to keep / replace him.  I don't care that he couldn't pass like some other players – the work he did in covering breaks and defending corners was just outstanding.  His presence gave the confidence to other players that enabled them to play freely and he caused some of the opposition to shrink away.  

I'm excited about this season.  Strengthening the midfield and defence is the right thing to do.  But I'm excited at the start of every season. If you can't be glass-half-full about something you love, when can you be?

Anyhow, that's me and I'm glad to be aboard.

love4ffc

Carborundum,

Welcome.  Great story about how you became a FFC Fan.  We are glad to have you and your son.  You know a club is doing something right when your son has feeling like that just from seeing the pitch. 

Look forward to seeing you on the board. 

Love4ffc
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Freddie Fulham

Hi Guys, beengoing down the Cottage since we drew 3-3 v Birmingham April 1963, and hooked. That just happeded to be Eddie Howes last game. But when my uncle grandfather and dad use to come back from a game and the wat they went on about a game I knew nothing about except I just wanted to be there hearing so much about it. Due to my business commitments over the past 6-7 years where I missed all the best our club had to offer, ie Hamburg, Juventus match and Danny's header v Pompey. BUT I have been up to Southports and Mansfields in the 70's and got back only to have to walk from Hammersmith to Hounslow at 3-4am in the morning. Also been around when Fulham Park Rangers was a real threat. This season having sold my business last November means I see every other game haome and away and as I live on the Southcoast now. and with only a pension and a part time job come when I can afford it. My busines which kept me away so long?..a Sports Photographer. Did I cover FFC yes only on a 3-4 occassions in pre season friendlies against the like of Hampton, Kingstonian, and Walton Casuals. But I got to cover Cowes and Goodwood events which went someway to missing out on Hamburg. I have a dilemar in that I might have the chance to start up again...what to do?

toshes mate

I really love this thread.

I am Fulham born and bred (actually I was born in Hammersmith Hospital but lived in North End Road) and have supported Fulham since I cannot remember when - circa 1951/2 is the closest I can get.  My hero was Tosh Chamberlain (there is a distant family connection) although Johnny Haynes figured large as life.  I loved Craven Cottage when it was open on three sides, but I also loved what the Club have done to it since, and I think the Riverside development is a really brilliant idea.  Apart from attending every Fulham match for about thirty odd years (it has slowly dropped off because of other commitments) and being a debenture when Jimmy Hill stewarded the recovery of our lovely football club, Fulham is in my blood and is like first love - it is never bettered and never forgotten.  I've lost count of all the wonderful players who have worn black and white colours at the Cottage and given me such terrific value for my admission money.

Just lately things haven't gone too well (I hope there really isn't a Michael Jackson curse) coincident with Roy Hodges (an under estimated and terrific manager) leaving for pastures new, although Martin Jol did well until the sale of Dempsey and Dembele to Spurs, from which we didn't recover.  This season is a big one for Kit Symons and I really hope he can turn that awkward corner of consistency and confidence so that repeats of the failure to win when in full control against Charlton cannot be repeated.

It's a funny thing that when I got an invite to go to Stamford Bridge from a next door neighbour, I declined and persuaded a family friend to take me to the Cottage instead.  Never regretted it the once, despite all the ups and downs.  That is what I like about Fulham - it echoes life.

love4ffc

Welcome Toches Mate.  As you say things are crazy right now that is all apart of following Fulham.  Look forward to seeing more of you on the board. 

KingsRoadStar

Great reading through all the different stories from everyone in this thread.

I've been following Fulham for over 15 years now. Don't get to the games as much as I like, but still get to maybe 5-10 home games a season.

Looking forward to getting involved in the forum this year. All the best.

Staffs White

Hi everyone posted an introduction way back in 2010, but as I've done more lurking than posting over the last 5 years, thought I'd re-introduce myself here with some more bits added, now I'm trying to stick to my new year resolution to be more active.

I also posted this on the exiles board so apologies if you have seen this before

My name is Chris and I was born and still do live in Stoke-on-Trent.

I decided on a whim to follow Fulham in the mid 1980's, what made me do it, I don't know, Panini stickers and wanting to be different would be the most likely culprits, however as I think about it now I also feel there must have been some sort of 6th sense that attracted me to FFC. We are not your run of the mill club and are quite unique, it's almost like I always belonged even from nearly 200 miles away its always felt like my club. A club that suits my personality.

My 1st game was a 1-1 draw at Port Vale on 19th September 1987, I have the programme which is how I remembered the date, but I can't remember who scored.

The following 2 seasons were spent glued to teletext waiting for news of how we were doing on a Saturday afternoon with my yearly Fulham fix coming at either Vale Park or Gresty Road where I remember big Jim Stannard our Goalkeeper scoring direct from a goal kick once, the only places I could get to see us play live.

Freedom soon came when I passed my driving test on the day Italia 90 started and for season 91/92 I was able to get to the delights of Shrewsbury, Bolton, Bury Mansfield etc if Fulham were playing in the north I was usually there.

Amazingly (or maybe not it is Fulham after all) I did not see us win a game until the 91/92 season (nearly 5 years) when we beat Bolton at Burnden Park 3-0 and I'm sure Andy Cole might have scored or made his debut for us that day.

What on earth possessed me to keep following us during that dismal period when all my mates were watching Stoke City and Port Vale have some relative success I do not know.

My 1st visit to the Cottage was in 93/94 to witness a 0-0 draw against Wrexham.

I'm now married and have 2 young daughters who I hoped would like football thus giving me an excuse to get to more games but they are not bothered.....yet.

Whilst I've never been a regular I've attended at least one game per season since that day in September 1987 as a spotty 14 year old and would not change any of it, how many fans of other teams can say they've watched their team in all 4 divisions and a European Final.

beer

love4ffc

Staffs,

Great read and many thanks for it.  We hope to have you posting more with less lurking as we welcome all opinions and discussions.     

Glad to hear your Fulham and not Stoke.  Chin up and hopefully soon we'll have some new things for you to brag to Stoke mates. 

daib0

Please help me lads - just a small favour, I wouldn't ask if I hadn't written fairly regularly on here as a friendly 'away' fan!

Click onto this: B3 CLASSIC, A MUSICAL EXPERIENCE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXic5CigDiQ&index=1&list=PLJpshZhsn_JrAUJIWHjx9vN3Nu24SfhRI

We need to get lots of visits on this, specifically for several music agency contacts in Madrid and Barcelona who need to be impressed...

an 'I like' click even better!!

Later this year, one more coming up, and that will be quite a bit more spectacular (a mix of me playing ten cellos recoreded separately and mashed together) but that's for the short future!

Cheers guys and lasses!!

daib0/David
A friendly Reading FC fan! Job: CELLO MAN - see extensive web www.johnstone-music.com

ffcwickford

Hi I am Jonathan Baines from Wickford in Essex. I was born in Luton on the first day of 1959, my Dad was from Alperton and as was the case in those days for footie mad children he went to Fulham one week and Chelsea the next to keep up his footie fix.

I went to my first game as a six year old in 1965 and my second game was at Wembley - quarter final of the World Cup vs Argentina, although I missed the goal because everyone around me stood up!

I have been a season ticket holder since August 1977 and have seen quite a few away games, but less so these days, but see all home matches sitting very close to the beloved 'green pole' where I used to stand for so long - even when there were only 2-3000 in the whole ground and one notorious game against Notts County when it was around 1000!

Never wavered in my support for the club even when I was the only one in my schools to support Fulham!

love4ffc

Welcome aboard Jonathan.  Always glad to hear from new members especially one who has followed Fulham for so long.  Hope to see become a regular on the board in the upcoming season. 

Onward and upwards COYW!   

woodman

Greetings

An ex pat from the asylum that was TIFF.

Quick history - Dad worked in Fulham Palace (late 70s) and knew nothing about football.  When brother wanted to go to a game, he asked about and was told Fulham was a friendly place to go.  Bro hooked from then.  I followed in early eighties, seeing a few games under Malcolm MacDonald and then the decline from then on!  So was involved in many of the protests to save the Club/ground and the glory days of Alan Dicks.
Season ticket holder in Hammersmith end and have been for years - though did take a break from Loftus Road when MAF said we wouldn't return to the Cottage (afraid I am one of those who thinks Fulham = Cottage).
Travelling Europe with Fulham was obviously amongst the life highlights as was the tremendous Carlisle away (and being locked in an off licence as it all kicked off outside).

Regular writer for TOOFIF and looking forward to joining in the discussions here.

Incidentally, live in Northwood (NW London) hence the name.
We live by the river

love4ffc

Greating NW London,

Welcome to FoF where all seeking refuge from the asylum can find refuge here.  We looking forward to hearing from you on the board and joining in the discussions. 

Cheers,

Love4FFC

FFC_Andreas

Hello together,

my name is Andreas and i come from Germany. I have introduced myself earlier on this page, but i have the question, whether there are other german Fulham supporters here?

Vienna1

GordonMac

Names Gordon. I'm from Glasgow, Rangers fan but consider Fulham my adopted Club. Had an uncle who worked in London for a few years and he used to bring me home all sorts of Fulham related items from programmes to kits etc.

Im actually making my first voyage down to Craven Cottage in November for my first game, 19th Vs Sheff Wed. Can't wait.

Anyway, heres to a better season than last!
COYW.

love4ffc

Quote from: GordonMac on August 09, 2016, 07:02:21 PM
Names Gordon. I'm from Glasgow, Rangers fan but consider Fulham my adopted Club. Had an uncle who worked in London for a few years and he used to bring me home all sorts of Fulham related items from programmes to kits etc.

Im actually making my first voyage down to Craven Cottage in November for my first game, 19th Vs Sheff Wed. Can't wait.

Anyway, heres to a better season than last!

Welcome GordonMac.  Glad to have you  076.gif

vancouver

Been a Long Time Lurker of these forums but wanted to join in on the Fun!

Been a Die Hard Fulham Fan from Vancouver Since i was 13. I was a Young football crazy lad and i wanted too watch a Canadian Play on TV!! That was Tomasz Radzinski who played for fulham and CANADA!. He ended up being a bit of W@nker but I've loved and followed fulham since!! Met Kasey Keller a bunch and I've worked at clubs that have had strange FFC connections from TFC, to The Whitecaps in Vancouver!!

Happy to join the FOF family from Vancouver

dhowells21

Hey guys,

Finally on here after years of lurking!

I hope Fulham signing process is quicker than the approval timing on here  :005: :005:

Anyway, I've been a Fulham fan for around 10 years. Originally supported Man Utd because I loved Beckham (parents didn't really like football, so my glory supporting 6 year old self picked the biggest and the best - naturally), but when he left for Spain I was kinda clubless. Watched MOTD every week, and saw Fulham beat Norwich 6-0, knew they were close to me (parents live near Reading), and so started to look out for their results. Eventually made my way down to The Cottage in 2006 to watch Wigan win a miserable game 1-0 (That really should have been my first red flag!). Weird from that I was hooked. From then on I had season tickets (either side of university), and have now got up to 75 odd games watched, and Woodrow scored my 100th Fulham goal on Tuesday, which was a very nice milestone.

Will hope not too irritate too many of you on here, and if I do, I'll be H2 if you want to punch me in the face at halftime! COYW!

love4ffc

Quote from: dhowells21 on August 11, 2016, 03:49:14 PM
Hey guys,

Finally on here after years of lurking!

I hope Fulham signing process is quicker than the approval timing on here  :005: :005:

Anyway, I've been a Fulham fan for around 10 years. Originally supported Man Utd because I loved Beckham (parents didn't really like football, so my glory supporting 6 year old self picked the biggest and the best - naturally), but when he left for Spain I was kinda clubless. Watched MOTD every week, and saw Fulham beat Norwich 6-0, knew they were close to me (parents live near Reading), and so started to look out for their results. Eventually made my way down to The Cottage in 2006 to watch Wigan win a miserable game 1-0 (That really should have been my first red flag!). Weird from that I was hooked. From then on I had season tickets (either side of university), and have now got up to 75 odd games watched, and Woodrow scored my 100th Fulham goal on Tuesday, which was a very nice milestone.

Will hope not too irritate too many of you on here, and if I do, I'll be H2 if you want to punch me in the face at halftime! COYW!

Hello dhowell21,

Apologies for the amount of time it took to get you approved.  Our email system isn't working so I am having to manually approve new members. 

Ant way look forward to reading more of your post  :wine: