News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Two questions for MJG (if you are inclined to investigate)

Started by FulhamKC, December 10, 2019, 10:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FulhamKC

1. In what positions have teams in 3rd place after 21 games ended the season over the last several years?

2. The gap between 2nd and 3rd is 10 points as is the gap between 3rd and 16th. That seems unusual to me. Given the gap between 2nd and 3rd in previous seasons, what position is the team the same number of points behind 3rd usually in?

Sgt Fulham

To answer your question without the research, it's over.

The Rational Fan

Fulham need to beat Leeds, otherwise they have to focus on the playoffs and next season. If we lose to Leeds at home, we have a 14 point gap heading into the summer transfer window. Leeds can almost loan a premier league squad now for free and conditional if promoted they buy them all in the summer.

MJG

Quote from: FulhamKC on December 10, 2019, 10:14:16 PM
1. In what positions have teams in 3rd place after 21 games ended the season over the last several years?

2. The gap between 2nd and 3rd is 10 points as is the gap between 3rd and 16th. That seems unusual to me. Given the gap between 2nd and 3rd in previous seasons, what position is the team the same number of points behind 3rd usually in?

1) & 2) Ok well in the table below you can see how many pts 3rd place team had at 21 games in last 10 years. You should take note that we are 3rd on 35 pts, lower than the previous 10 years BUT Forest have a game in hand on us and if they win that will goto 3rd and 37 pts. Without checking I'd say 4th is a point or 2 lower on average.
You can see that the gap from 3rd to 16th does range but its not unknown to be at 10. Also 25 for 16th place is just below avearge by half a point roughly

Just the views of a long term fan

MJG

I put this on my stats thread but relevant I think.

How good do we have to be from now...very good

Just the views of a long term fan

FulhamKC

Thanks MJG.

So, 70% of the time over the last ten years the team in 3rd place after 21 games has qualified for the play-offs. I like our chances.