watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Charlton 10 behind the ball

Started by bobbo, January 23, 2020, 07:29:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbo

I can't believe they were satisfied with a draw almost from the start.
As title 10 behind the ball almost the whole game .two central defenders constantly physically pulling our players abouT. A poor ref, and the inability to break down a poor team.
All in all a very disappointing evening not to mention cairney performance.
Highlight in a frustrating match was the Fulham fans.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

grandad

Playing against 2 banks of 5 is never easy. This game badly needed Mitro to bully their CB´s. We had no one to do his job. Failure to sign a backup to Mitro over the last 2 windows will start to hurt us.
Where there's a will there's a wife

twang

Quote from: grandad on January 23, 2020, 08:12:33 AM
Playing against 2 banks of 5 is never easy. This game badly needed Mitro to bully their CB´s. We had no one to do his job. Failure to sign a backup to Mitro over the last 2 windows will start to hurt us.

We have a backup to Mitro in Kamara, it's just pure bad luck that they are both injured at the same time.

charlieFFC

Not sure how they came to this conclusion on their twitter at FT:

Thought they were really negative side and lacked quality, always hate playing against that Williams though, he seems to draw a foul every single time he gets the ball.

PaddyAddick

Quote from: bobbo on January 23, 2020, 07:29:25 AM
As title 10 behind the ball almost the whole game .two central defenders constantly physically pulling our players abouT. A poor ref, and the inability to break down a poor team.

We have a squad coming back to full fitness and have won once in 17 or 18 now. Our injury crisis was unprecedented, and we now have all our good players coming back at once.

A point, even at home, to a team that will be in the playoffs or autos come the end of the season is not a bad result at all. Conversely - we've beaten Leeds at the Valley, Brentford at the Valley, not lost either game to West Brom etc, so this isn't too bad a point for Fulham.

As for how we set our stall - it's out of necessity while our players get match fit. We don't have your resources (of the 37 signings under Bowyer, 18 frees, 17 loans and two others costing a combined £300k) and as such we have a lot of injury-prone players (Williams/Hemed/Oztumer/Page - I could go on) that we've had to gamble on, coupled with a huge work ethic that Bowyer demands.

With the likes of Cavaleiro, Reid and Onomah up top (all Prem quality), that's easily enough to worry us, and I was expecting a defeat - the more pessimistic of us were expecting a trouncing. But we did our job well, negative though it was - there's a skill to parking the bus.

Ref was rubbish though. He was neither protecting the players' safety, nor consistent, which are two big red flags for any official's performance imo.

PaddyAddick

Quote from: charlieFFC on January 23, 2020, 09:55:26 AM
Not sure how they came to this conclusion on their twitter at FT:

Thought they were really negative side and lacked quality, always hate playing against that Williams though, he seems to draw a foul every single time he gets the ball.

Olly loves a bit of bias! Of course we weren't the better team.

And Williams and Taylor, when fit and starting, completely change how we attack. That said, Cullen (first 90 minutes in two months) is crucial to our shape. We certainly improved when Williams and Taylor came on.

Equally, you were missing Mitrovic and Knockaert, so it's all six of one/half a dozen of the other.

The Rational Fan

I can't believe that anyone was surprised that Charlton were satisfied with a draw.

Charlton's front-line is much more hit with injuries than ours, with three most used forwards out and backup CF.
Charlton has got 8 points in their last 16 games and have 16 games to go after Fulham.
Charlton are currently on 30 points and probably need a minimum of 41 points in order to stay up.
Charlton are sixth last and two teams below them have parachute payments
Charlton are fourth favourite for relegation, with Barnsley 6 pts behind but catching them fast.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: PaddyAddick on January 23, 2020, 10:12:12 AM

We have a squad coming back to full fitness and have won once in 17 or 18 now. Our injury crisis was unprecedented, and we now have all our good players coming back at once.

A point, even at home, to a team that will be in the playoffs or autos come the end of the season is not a bad result at all. Conversely - we've beaten Leeds at the Valley, Brentford at the Valley, not lost either game to West Brom etc, so this isn't too bad a point for Fulham.

As for how we set our stall - it's out of necessity while our players get match fit. We don't have your resources (of the 37 signings under Bowyer, 18 frees, 17 loans and two others costing a combined £300k) and as such we have a lot of injury-prone players (Williams/Hemed/Oztumer/Page - I could go on) that we've had to gamble on, coupled with a huge work ethic that Bowyer demands.

With the likes of Cavaleiro, Reid and Onomah up top (all Prem quality), that's easily enough to worry us, and I was expecting a defeat - the more pessimistic of us were expecting a trouncing. But we did our job well, negative though it was - there's a skill to parking the bus.

Ref was rubbish though. He was neither protecting the players' safety, nor consistent, which are two big red flags for any official's performance imo.
Good, sensible, refreshingly honest post.  Good luck for the rest of the season.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

SP

By Championship standards, I didn't think the ref was too bad?