watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

LVBPT, cheer us all up please

Started by Riversider, January 23, 2020, 09:42:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

I think it's become abundantly clear after that dismal showing last night, that it would be a massive mistake by all those running Fulham Football Club , to think that we can go another 3 weeks without a striker until Mitro returns,
As much as I would love us to sign a decent right back , right now a decent striker must take priority, so then LVBPT, with your ear close to the Motspur Park ground, is another striking option on the radar ? Is it something that you can see happening ?
Thankfully for Fulham Football Club (and also for Leeds and WBA) this is the weakest most abysmal collection of teams in The Championship for many a long year, one decent striking option signed now would make all the difference.

The Rational Fan

I heard Bobby Reid got 17 goals as "centre forward" one season, but I didn't realise 4 were from set-pieces and 3 from penalties, meaning he got 10 from open play as a centre-forward. I looked closer and realised he has played 50 games as CF, playing 86 mins per game and scoring 10 open play goals (i.e every 433 minutes). In comparison, Rui Fonte scored at a rate of 298 minutes for Fulham as CF, which is significantly better than Bobby Reid's 433 minutes. Bobby Reid is not good enough as a centre forward to even be the third choice CF (if Mitro and Kamara are injured). Jay Stansfield, by comparison, is averaging a goal every 54 minutes at under 18s, but it's impossible to guess if he can score every 180 minutes in the Championship.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 23, 2020, 10:05:16 AM
I heard Bobby Reid got 17 goals as "centre forward" one season, but I didn't realise 4 were from set-pieces and 3 from penalties, meaning he got 10 from open play as a centre-forward. I looked closer and realised he has played 50 games as CF, playing 86 mins per game and scoring 10 open play goals (i.e every 433 minutes). In comparison, Rui Fonte scored at a rate of 298 minutes for Fulham as CF, which is significantly better than Bobby Reid's 433 minutes. Bobby Reid is not good enough as a centre forward to even be the third choice CF (if Mitro and Kamara are injured). Jay Stansfield, by comparison, is averaging a goal every 54 minutes at under 18s, but it's impossible to guess if he can score every 180 minutes in the Championship.

Blimey. I hadn't looked in that depth either, good info.

Someone get an email for Tony Khan: Striker, goal scoring ACM, and dedicated, pacey, LW ASAP please.

filham

Bobby Reid has had chances this season and has clearly demonstrated that he is no goalscorer at Championship level.

We have a problem though as hopefully in two or three matches time Kamara and Mitro will be fit and then any new signing will spend the remainder of the season without a game and the club will have wasted a few million.

filham

Right, we have an opportunity to experiment in Sunday's no win match.
The first name on the team sheet has to be Stansfield.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: filham on January 23, 2020, 10:22:12 AM
Bobby Reid has had chances this season and has clearly demonstrated that he is no goalscorer at Championship level.

We have a problem though as hopefully in two or three matches time Kamara and Mitro will be fit and then any new signing will spend the remainder of the season without a game and the club will have wasted a few million.

Well, yeah, there is that too. Massively unfortunate timing for Kamara. He looked good against QPR earlier in the season when Mitro was suspended. He'd have been begging for a chance like these last couple of weeks and I reckon he could have pulled it off (no Mitro, but still...). Sods law that both are out at the same time.

Given that its the cup and the cup is the least of our worries, I'd be tempted to chuck Jay Stansfield or Taylor-Crossdale straight in from the start on Sunday.

If they perform well (let's be honest, we are almost certainly going out! Especially as City will now take the cup very seriously given the league is all but gone), perhaps they could do a job for the next couple of weeks... Not ideal given the importance of every single Championship game at this point, but not sure we have too many options. 

Statto

I wasn't aware of this rule change that goals are no longer allowed to be scored from set pieces. Thanks for the info.

...Back in the real world, Jokanovic had us playing like a top 2 team for a full half season with Floyd Ayite up front. If we can't now survive for a few weeks with one of Kamara, Reid, Cavaleiro or Knockaert in that position then something is very wrong.   

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Statto on January 23, 2020, 10:31:49 AM
I wasn't aware of this rule change that goals are no longer allowed to be scored from set pieces. Thanks for the info.

...Back in the real world, Jokanovic had us playing like a top 2 team for a full half season with Floyd Ayite up front. If we can't now survive for a few weeks with one of Kamara, Reid, Cavaleiro or Knockaert in that position then something is very wrong.   

Indeed, but this has been the problem all season - Parker is not Slav. A good manager and a good system can make average players seem good (Malone, Aluko, etc) and good players seem average (take your pick from any of our current squad).

LVBPTS

this will annoy a lot on here im sure but, as im given it, Zivkovic from benfica has been offered again as cover for TC as he has been playing injured for weeks and is likely in need of an operation and with De Le Torre off to Sweden, likely we will look into it.
if i remember correctly, we were linked with Zivkovic last summer. plays with Mitro in the Serbia national team.

all that said, dont put too much into us signing him as there is also a school of thought that BDR can play there and cover if TC is forced out

not good news at the moment but a snippet at least
Supporter since 2000

Lighthouse

I think it would be a waste now to spend money on a forward. We have the players still in the team who can score goals. The only problem is setting the team up properly. Remember that yesterday we had no forwards, one wide player was missing, several midfield players were out and those that were playing looked to be getting back to fitness and would probably preferred to have a few more weeks off. By the time a forward is brought in and gets up to speed the injury problem may have eased.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

LVBPTS

Quote from: Lighthouse on January 23, 2020, 10:47:44 AM
I think it would be a waste now to spend money on a forward. We have the players still in the team who can score goals. The only problem is setting the team up properly. Remember that yesterday we had no forwards, one wide player was missing, several midfield players were out and those that were playing looked to be getting back to fitness and would probably preferred to have a few more weeks off. By the time a forward is brought in and gets up to speed the injury problem may have eased.

i have to agree with you here. we have the players, its just availability currently.
Supporter since 2000

Bassey the warrior

I agree with lighthouse, bringing in a squad striker isn't the best way of doing it. We need to work on movement off the ball, Parker can coach players to make more runs as we were static last night.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on January 23, 2020, 10:31:49 AM

As the rest of the Slavisa team (not including CF) scored "1.45 goals per game" in 16/17, with a CF like Bobby Reid upfront you'll get 1.65 goals per game, which better than us with Mitro.

As the rest of the Parker team (not including CF) scored "0.79 goals per game" in 19/20, with a CF like Bobby Reid upfront you'll get 0.99 goals per game. If we can only score a goal a game, while Kamara and Mitro are away we will have problems.

Something is very wrong, this team is totally dependent on a centre forward that scores around half of the team's goals. And, apart from scoring from set-pieces the records of Reid, Cavaleiro and Knockaert as centre forwards are actually very poor indeed (about 66 games, 11 open play goals, 4 scoring fromset pieces and 3 penalties).

Matt10

2 of the 3 chances that Reid had, Mitro would never have even gotten to take a first touch on. They were through balls well into space and required some decent pace to get onto. Reid also got each of his chances on target. He just wasn't clinical enough, and one of them was a good save from the keeper from far out.

He is a player who has scored above 10 goals in the Championship, so there should be no talk of him not able to score at the Championship level. Unfortunately, we're not getting the goal scoring output that we signed him for. We are getting everything else from him though - and he's played that part very well. Just need to keep sending him up to get more efforts on goal.

Jamie88

According to transfermarkt, he only played as a centre forward in 7 matches in the League in 2017/18, which is the season he was in goal scoring form. Also the scored 19 league goal not 17. And 21 in total

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Jamie88 on January 23, 2020, 12:57:05 PM

According to transfermarkt, he only played as a centre forward in 7 matches in the League in 2017/18, which is the season he was in goal scoring form. Also the scored 19 league goal not 17. And 21 in total

I took the numbers from whoscored, but transfermarket says as centre-forward he played 7 games and scored in 1 game (i.e. worse than Rui Fonte form).

toshes mate

Trying to be pragmatic I believe the lack of clear opportunities to score is caused by failing to dominate when we have possession.  The team is guilty of trying to force conclusions to attacks rather than thinking about how to turn possession into the art of moving defenders out of position.  Partly to do with player selection and partly to do with mindsets, it requires patience and I am getting the message that FFC currently don't understand the meaning of the word.  It certainly has nothing to do with slow build up but everything to do with simple ploys that defenders will fall for at least some of the time.

Parker mentions squandering good chances last night but I'd rather see clear cut opportunities rather than those you know, from percentages, that are going to end up anywhere but the net.  And I am unconvinced that new signings are going to make a scrap of difference.  This current team even allowing for injuries etc should be good enough.

Steven Ageroad

What was the name of the striker who was scoring goals for fun for the juniors a few seasons ago, who many people on this board were crying out to start for the first team, he finished up at Southend and didn't set the world alight, I think he has just disappeared. I think it show's that the junior striker has to be very special for the manager to include him in the team especially if the centre half up against him is an experienced 30 year old who's been around a long time.
I'm sure that a few names will be mentioned to disprove my comment but there are very far and few.
I think the player's name who went to Southend began with a B.

love4ffc

Quote from: LVBPT on January 23, 2020, 10:45:25 AM
this will annoy a lot on here im sure but, as im given it, Zivkovic from benfica has been offered again as cover for TC as he has been playing injured for weeks and is likely in need of an operation and with De Le Torre off to Sweden, likely we will look into it.
if i remember correctly, we were linked with Zivkovic last summer. plays with Mitro in the Serbia national team.

all that said, dont put too much into us signing him as there is also a school of thought that BDR can play there and cover if TC is forced out

not good news at the moment but a snippet at least

Circling back to this statement.  Am I reading that right? 

TC as he has been playing injured for weeks and is likely in need of an operation

Surely if that was right then the club would have brought someone in to cover for him for the remainder of the season. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Deeping_white

Quote from: Steven Ageroad on January 23, 2020, 02:50:48 PM
What was the name of the striker who was scoring goals for fun for the juniors a few seasons ago, who many people on this board were crying out to start for the first team, he finished up at Southend and didn't set the world alight, I think he has just disappeared. I think it show's that the junior striker has to be very special for the manager to include him in the team especially if the centre half up against him is an experienced 30 year old who's been around a long time.
I'm sure that a few names will be mentioned to disprove my comment but there are very far and few.
I think the player's name who went to Southend began with a B.

Stevie Humphrys I think is who you're referring to?