https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

LVBPT, cheer us all up please

Started by Riversider, January 23, 2020, 09:42:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFC1987

Quote from: Deeping_white on January 23, 2020, 04:10:25 PM
Quote from: Steven Ageroad on January 23, 2020, 02:50:48 PM
What was the name of the striker who was scoring goals for fun for the juniors a few seasons ago, who many people on this board were crying out to start for the first team, he finished up at Southend and didn't set the world alight, I think he has just disappeared. I think it show's that the junior striker has to be very special for the manager to include him in the team especially if the centre half up against him is an experienced 30 year old who's been around a long time.
I'm sure that a few names will be mentioned to disprove my comment but there are very far and few.
I think the player's name who went to Southend began with a B.

Stevie Humphrys I think is who you're referring to?

Didn't Humphies start off really though including a few goals against decent oppo in the cup? Seem to recall but might be wrong. I think people like to see the young guys who feature on the bench at least get tested, particularly in a game where we cried out for a striker. It only takes a goal from them and suddenly, fulled with confidence, they can flourish and fill a squad place and add something we might not of had. Could also be, he comes on, has a mare, and we don't see him feature anymore so its a delicate balance I suppose.

Steven Ageroad

Quote from: FFC1987 on January 23, 2020, 04:13:52 PM
Quote from: Deeping_white on January 23, 2020, 04:10:25 PM
Quote from: Steven Ageroad on January 23, 2020, 02:50:48 PM
What was the name of the striker who was scoring goals for fun for the juniors a few seasons ago, who many people on this board were crying out to start for the first team, he finished up at Southend and didn't set the world alight, I think he has just disappeared. I think it show's that the junior striker has to be very special for the manager to include him in the team especially if the centre half up against him is an experienced 30 year old who's been around a long time.
I'm sure that a few names will be mentioned to disprove my comment but there are very far and few.
I think the player's name who went to Southend began with a B.

Stevie Humphrys I think is who you're referring to?

Didn't Humphies start off really though including a few goals against decent oppo in the cup? Seem to recall but might be wrong. I think people like to see the young guys who feature on the bench at least get tested, particularly in a game where we cried out for a striker. It only takes a goal from them and suddenly, fulled with confidence, they can flourish and fill a squad place and add something we might not of had. Could also be, he comes on, has a mare, and we don't see him feature anymore so its a delicate balance I suppose.

Yes Humphries was his name, I knew it began with B!!

That is what I was trying to get across, "It's a delicate balance" for a young striker.

Jamie88

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 23, 2020, 01:05:04 PM
Quote from: Jamie88 on January 23, 2020, 12:57:05 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 23, 2020, 10:05:16 AM
I heard Bobby Reid got 17 goals as "centre forward" one season, but I didn't realise 4 were from set-pieces and 3 from penalties, meaning he got 10 from open play as a centre-forward. I looked closer and realised he has played 50 games as CF, playing 86 mins per game and scoring 10 open play goals (i.e every 433 minutes). In comparison, Rui Fonte scored at a rate of 298 minutes for Fulham as CF, which is significantly better than Bobby Reid's 433 minutes. Bobby Reid is not good enough as a centre forward to even be the third choice CF (if Mitro and Kamara are injured). Jay Stansfield, by comparison, is averaging a goal every 54 minutes at under 18s, but it's impossible to guess if he can score every 180 minutes in the Championship.

According to transfermarkt, he only played as a centre forward in 7 matches in the League in 2017/18, which is the season he was in goal scoring form. Also the scored 19 league goal not 17. And 21 in total

I took the numbers from whoscored, but transfermarket says as centre-forward he played 7 games and scored in 1 game (i.e. worse than Rui Fonte form).

Im sure we could also pick 7 games where Mitro has scored 0 or 1 goal. What exactly is your point, that Rui Fonte is a better centre forward? Because you use 'facts' and present them in a very biased way is what I'm getting at.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Jamie88 on January 23, 2020, 06:26:13 PM
I heard Bobby Reid got 17 goals as "centre forward" one season, but I didn't realise 4 were from set-pieces and 3 from penalties, meaning he got 10 from open play as a centre-forward. I looked closer and realised he has played 50 games as CF, playing 86 mins per game and scoring 10 open play goals (i.e every 433 minutes). In comparison, Rui Fonte scored at a rate of 298 minutes for Fulham as CF, which is significantly better than Bobby Reid's 433 minutes. Bobby Reid is not good enough as a centre forward to even be the third choice CF (if Mitro and Kamara are injured). Jay Stansfield, by comparison, is averaging a goal every 54 minutes at under 18s, but it's impossible to guess if he can score every 180 minutes in the Championship.

According to transfermarkt, he only played as a centre forward in 7 matches in the League in 2017/18, which is the season he was in goal scoring form. Also the scored 19 league goal not 17. And 21 in total

I took the numbers from whoscored, but transfermarket says as centre-forward he played 7 games and scored in 1 game (i.e. worse than Rui Fonte form).

Im sure we could also pick 7 games where Mitro has scored 0 or 1 goal. What exactly is your point, that Rui Fonte is a better centre forward? Because you use 'facts' and present them in a very biased way is what I'm getting at.

My point is Bobby Reid is not a proven goalscorer at centre forward, whoscored says he failed there over 50 games and transfermarmkt says he failed there 7 games (a very small sample), either way, when he has played there he hasn't scored as much as Rui Fonte. Can he adapt to the role maybe, but past attempts haven't been great.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 23, 2020, 09:45:14 PM

My point is Bobby Reid is not a proven goalscorer at centre forward, whoscored says he failed there over 50 games and transfermarmkt says he failed there 7 games (a very small sample), either way, when he has played there he hasn't scored as much as Rui Fonte. Can he adapt to the role maybe, but past attempts haven't been great.

There are times due to injuries and circumstances beyond a managers control he is forced to improvise, hence the reason why players are played out of position. It is what it is, that's life, the challenges are thrown at you, and the test is to deal with it as best you can.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

LVBPTS

Quote from: love4ffc on January 23, 2020, 02:54:35 PM
Quote from: LVBPT on January 23, 2020, 10:45:25 AM
this will annoy a lot on here im sure but, as im given it, Zivkovic from benfica has been offered again as cover for TC as he has been playing injured for weeks and is likely in need of an operation and with De Le Torre off to Sweden, likely we will look into it.
if i remember correctly, we were linked with Zivkovic last summer. plays with Mitro in the Serbia national team.

all that said, dont put too much into us signing him as there is also a school of thought that BDR can play there and cover if TC is forced out

not good news at the moment but a snippet at least

Circling back to this statement.  Am I reading that right? 

TC as he has been playing injured for weeks and is likely in need of an operation

Surely if that was right then the club would have brought someone in to cover for him for the remainder of the season. 

as far as i am being told, hence the Zivkovic refernece
Supporter since 2000

Riversider

Quote from: LVBPT on January 24, 2020, 09:44:24 AM
this will annoy a lot on here im sure but, as im given it, Zivkovic from benfica has been offered again as cover for TC as he has been playing injured for weeks and is likely in need of an operation and with De Le Torre off to Sweden, likely we will look into it.
if i remember correctly, we were linked with Zivkovic last summer. plays with Mitro in the Serbia national team.

all that said, dont put too much into us signing him as there is also a school of thought that BDR can play there and cover if TC is forced out

TC as he has been playing injured for weeks and is likely in need of an operation

Surely if that was right then the club would have brought someone in to cover for him for the remainder of the season. 

Are you expecting much activity over the next 7 days ?

General

I've been trying to say the same thing to the trumpesque nature of the 'rational' fan too but he doesn't seem to get how his bias in influencing his statistics. What can you do?

LVBPTS

Quote from: Riversider on January 24, 2020, 11:07:59 AM

i dont know absolutely everything that is going on on the recruitment front but ive been told that there will be arrivals this week as long as there are no goalposts moved so to speak that has already happened a couple times this month already
Supporter since 2000

Jims Dentist

Quote from: ByTheRiver on January 23, 2020, 10:29:29 AM
Quote from: filham on January 23, 2020, 10:22:12 AM
Bobby Reid has had chances this season and has clearly demonstrated that he is no goalscorer at Championship level.

We have a problem though as hopefully in two or three matches time Kamara and Mitro will be fit and then any new signing will spend the remainder of the season without a game and the club will have wasted a few million.

Well, yeah, there is that too. Massively unfortunate timing for Kamara. He looked good against QPR earlier in the season when Mitro was suspended. He'd have been begging for a chance like these last couple of weeks and I reckon he could have pulled it off (no Mitro, but still...). Sods law that both are out at the same time.

Given that its the cup and the cup is the least of our worries, I'd be tempted to chuck Jay Stansfield or Taylor-Crossdale straight in from the start on Sunday.

If they perform well (let's be honest, we are almost certainly going out! Especially as City will now take the cup very seriously given the league is all but gone), perhaps they could do a job for the next couple of weeks... Not ideal given the importance of every single Championship game at this point, but not sure we have too many options. 
Really unfortunate for AK to be out not just when Mitro is injured but now Knocky also.

Jims Dentist

If Taylor-Crossdale is not up to stepping up for a few games, why have we signed him, he has barely even made the bench.
Few other teams operate without a back up to their central striker/target man.
I love AK but this is not his natural role.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Jims Dentist on January 25, 2020, 06:27:06 PM
If Taylor-Crossdale is not up to stepping up for a few games, why have we signed him, he has barely even made the bench.
Taylor-Crossdale is 20, and played only a dozen or so games for us at PL2 and scored 4 goals - not a compelling case yet.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

jayffc

Quote from: Southcoastffc on January 25, 2020, 07:06:23 PM
Taylor-Crossdale is 20, and played only a dozen or so games for us at PL2 and scored 4 goals - not a compelling case yet.

Also he was a low risk punt, if he comes good, happy days, quid in, if not then it cost us next to nothing. He wasnt signed as a replacement for Mitro straight off the bat. That said....clearly Jay with his scoring has jumped the que or he might have made the bench more due to the injury crisis

Riversider

LVBPT, just over 48 hours to go , is there anything in the Jota on loan rumours ?
Without discussing names or positions does there appear to be any activity bubbling away behind the scenes both in and out ?

LVBPTS

Quote from: Riversider on January 29, 2020, 04:50:16 PM
LVBPT, just over 48 hours to go , is there anything in the Jota on loan rumours ?
Without discussing names or positions does there appear to be any activity bubbling away behind the scenes both in and out ?

just replied to someone else on another thread mate
Supporter since 2000

filham

If it is true that Cairney is carrying an injury then Parker had best face the problem head on and get matters underway for an operation without delay, a half fit Cairney is a handicap.

We now have plenty of mid field cover with three places to be filled by McDonald, Johansen, Arter, Reed, Reid or Onomah

fulhamben

ak as in kamara? He was exceptional the last time he played as the lone striker for us
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Riversider on January 24, 2020, 11:07:59 AM

My crack intelligence unit inform me that there is a lorry load of paper clips arriving at Motspur Park before the end of the week. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.