watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Rodak

Started by Andy S, February 16, 2020, 12:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevonFFC

Problem is a mistake by the GK often leads to a goal.

Anywhere else on the pitch and it's often swept up.

I mean Ream is constantly out of position but some how he still starts, how is beyond me 

ron

He shouldn't have been beaten at the near post for the third, but he was left cruelly exposed for the other two. Not anywhere near as much "a mare" as some would have, imo.

cottage expat

Quote from: RaySmith on February 16, 2020, 12:42:37 PM
Shouldn't drop him - he\s generally been very good and saved us  quite a few points, to drop him after one  game where he made bad mistakes will just undermine him.

+1

Woolly Mammoth

Apart from Rodak, For me Ream and Sessegnon were the weakest links yesterday.
Yes Rodak made at least 2 errors that led to goals. But I would not drop him after one bad game. How would that do for his confidence. A fat lot of good Thats gonna do. It's as though the manager was saying I am blaming you for the defeat so your out, not very bright is it.
So say we did that and Betts came in and dropped a clanger or two, suddenly we have gone from 0 to 2 keepers struggling.
It's about confidence when it comes to keepers especially, it would be different if over a few games he was looking dodgy, but he has some credit in the bank. Rodak will want to put that right ASAP.
He is currently the least of our worries.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ByTheRiver

Absolutely not. He has more than earned his place and should be able to two or three games like yesterday before losing his place.

Betts, seems a lovely lad and, as much as I appreciate all he has done, is not and will not, ever be good enough for Premiership football. Rodak may well be. He has several years on his side and, for me, is already a far safer pair of hands than Betts.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 16, 2020, 06:26:26 PM
Apart from Rodak, For me Ream and Sessegnon were the weakest links yesterday. Yes, Rodak made at least 2 errors that led to goals. But I would not drop him after one bad game. How would that do for his confidence. A fat lot of good Thats gonna do. It's as though the manager was saying I am blaming you for the defeat so your out, not very bright is it.  So say we did that and Betts came in and dropped a clanger or two, suddenly we have gone from 0 to 2 keepers struggling. It's about confidence when it comes to keepers especially, it would be different if over a few games he was looking dodgy, but he has some credit in the bank. Rodak will want to put that right ASAP. He is currently the least of our worries.

We shouldn't drop Rodak, but instead we should place a five-year contract in front of him at a good Championship wage. Today, maybe our last chance to resign him at a Championship rather than Premier League wage. Once, he is 6-12 months off being Premier League starter quality his price will skyrocket and that day is approaching soon. Maybe after we play Derby, Swansea, Preston, Bristol, Brentford, Leeds and QPR, premier league clubs will be looking at him to become their next #1 over 18-24 months.

I am very critical of Parker's coaching of creative play because with the players that we have we should have created the most xG chances in the league (Knockaert, Cairney, Reid, Cav and Bryan) and combined with the Best Striker on fire should have scored more goals than WBA. But, as for the defense players, injuries and an inexperienced goalkeeper, I think having the 4th least amount of goals conceded is quite a good achievement. Fulham should be where WBA are now in terms of goals scored (12 goals short) and conceded (on target so far).

What worries me most is Fulham have gone more than 345 minutes since some other than Mitrovoic scored a goal and that makes us easy to defend against, plus it means full-backs and central midfielders can attack us more knowing only the CB's are marking the next goal scorer.

Andy S

Ok let's not call it dropping him but resting him as well as offering him a new contract. Is it fair on Betts not to give him a chance after those howlers on Saturday? That is probably 6 points he has cost us this season after being sent off earlier this season. Ok he has kept us in a few games as well but his performance on Saturday was inexcusable I don't know why there is so much support for the guy

BarryP

I wouldn't sit Rodak.  He has had an excellent season and shouldn't be removed for one poor outing. In my opinion he should be one of the first names in the starting eleven.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Andy S on February 17, 2020, 01:04:29 AM
Ok let's not call it dropping him but resting him as well as offering him a new contract. Is it fair on Betts not to give him a chance after those howlers on Saturday? That is probably 6 points he has cost us this season after being sent off earlier this season. Ok he has kept us in a few games as well but his performance on Saturday was inexcusable I don't know why there is so much support for the guy

Because Bettinelli simply isn't very good and has already made as many howlers this season himself.

Facts Not Fiction

Ludicrous post. He has been superb since he's been in the side, and 1 bad game shouldn't make you forget that.

Plus, he never actually cost us any points. We could've been there all week and not scored.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on February 17, 2020, 08:15:32 AM
Ludicrous post. He has been superb since he's been in the side, and 1 bad game shouldn't make you forget that.

Plus, he never actually cost us any points. We could've been there all week and not scored.

+1.

Woolly Mammoth

Resting him ???? Why, what for, he has a rest every night when he goes to bed. What is there to gain by leaving him out. By his standards he has one poor game, and you want him replaced, can you imagine how he would feel, no matter what reasons SP would give him for leaving him out, he will think he is being blamed for the result. That will knock his confidence in himself, and confidence is massive in sport. It is not as if he deserves to be dropped either. I expect that is the last concern on the Managers mind.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

The Rational Fan has hit the nail on the head, our problem is no longer defence and is certainly not our goalkeeper but our attack.
No goals scored at home to the bottom of the table team must highlight the problem but it has been there for all to see for a while.
Mitrovic is scoring but Knock., Cavy, Reid, Onomah and Cairney look incapable.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 17, 2020, 11:46:05 AM

Resting him ???? Why, what for, he has a rest every night when he goes to bed. What is there to gain by leaving him out. By his standards he has one poor game, and you want him replaced, can you imagine how he would feel, no matter what reasons SP would give him for leaving him out, he will think he is being blamed for the result. That will knock his confidence in himself, and confidence is massive in sport. It is not as if he deserves to be dropped either. I expect that is the last concern on the Managers mind.

While no observers are talking about Rodak as a Champions League goalkeeper, his statistics are good enough for Champions Leagues to start watching him. Firstly, apart from the first Middlesbough game and Barnsley game, whoscored have him as the best goalkeeper in the league this season to play more than three games. Secondly, Rodak has an enormous xG goal difference of eight goals in twenty games (including the -1 xG for the Barnsley game) so when Rodak is in goal strikers get the shots in good positions, but don't score the goals that is partly due to many good saves but also due to strikers missing the target much more than expected. Rodak, Hector and Mitro should be the first three names on the team sheet.

General

I think there would've been a reasonable tactical logic to leave him out against Barnsley due to the fact that he and Cauley would've known each other so well and played together for years in our academy when they won the league etc and did well. Cauley was also older and more accomplished and had played for us in the premiership. I think playing against a striker as a GK that you respect and admire or appreciate as a friend makes you lose some of the advantage you may have, especially if you're both still emotionally new to the situation (Cauley playing against old club, Marek new first choice)...

I'd have played Betts for that game. I think Marek was caught out by being too emotional for the game and made rash mistakes he wouldn't normally as a result. Two of those goals, the penalty, and the other goal (not Cauley's 2nd) were both unnecessary goals to concede. Marek rushed out of position to take on a player who was out wide of the box and had a Fulham player near him. It was completely unnecessary for him to come that far out. I also think he sometimes simply lacks the maturity in his decision making to know when to kick it out/long etc.. but that's neglible for this part of the critique.

Betts is a good keeper though, if he's been working on the areas he's weaker on then I'd consider a switch, but to do that I'd need to see them training.. Rodak has been very good for us, and as a player for our future (provided we get him signed up to a longer contract) is worth keeping as he's got more agility and potential.. but he's in a growth stage, so managing him is essential.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: General on February 17, 2020, 12:23:31 PM
I think there would've been a reasonable tactical logic to leave him out against Barnsley due to the fact that he and Cauley would've known each other so well and played together for years in our academy when they won the league etc and did well. Cauley was also older and more accomplished and had played for us in the premiership. I think playing against a striker as a GK that you respect and admire or appreciate as a friend makes you lose some of the advantage you may have, especially if you're both still emotionally new to the situation (Cauley playing against old club, Marek new first choice)...

I'd have played Betts for that game. I think Marek was caught out by being too emotional for the game and made rash mistakes he wouldn't normally as a result. Two of those goals, the penalty, and the other goal (not Cauley's 2nd) were both unnecessary goals to concede. Marek rushed out of position to take on a player who was out wide of the box and had a Fulham player near him. It was completely unnecessary for him to come that far out. I also think he sometimes simply lacks the maturity in his decision making to know when to kick it out/long etc.. but that's neglible for this part of the critique.

Betts is a good keeper though, if he's been working on the areas he's weaker on then I'd consider a switch, but to do that I'd need to see them training.. Rodak has been very good for us, and as a player for our future (provided we get him signed up to a longer contract) is worth keeping as he's got more agility and potential.. but he's in a growth stage, so managing him is essential.

Great Point, Cauley Woodrow completely read Marek Rodak better than any other striker in the league, now I know why.

epsomraver

Have to say that if that had been Betts in goal there would be loads on here calling for his head, he had a bad game so should be dropped, it is about winning the shirt, on that performance he deserves to be dropped and Betts given a chance.

Artful Dodger

Quote from: ron on February 16, 2020, 06:22:15 PM
He shouldn't have been beaten at the near post for the third, but he was left cruelly exposed for the other two. Not anywhere near as much "a mare" as some would have, imo.
Not sure how many goals you need to be at fault for before you describe it as a 'mare' in your book then! He wasn't left exposed - he dropped the ball for the first goal and then went AWOL for the second. He shouldn't be dropped but he needs to stand up and come back stronger.
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

ByTheRiver

Quote from: epsomraver on February 17, 2020, 01:41:51 PM
Have to say that if that had been Betts in goal there would be loads on here calling for his head, he had a bad game so should be dropped, it is about winning the shirt, on that performance he deserves to be dropped and Betts given a chance.

And that happened. Several times before he was eventually dropped.

Being statistically the best keeper in the league, means he has earned a bit of backing at he first sign of an error. 

Keeping more clean sheets in half a season than Betts has evet kept in a full season, means he has earned a bit of backing at the first sign of an error.

Changing your keeper at the first hint of an error, means that both keepers will always play badly as no one is ever settled or can play with confidence. This is why having two keepers of similar level has never worked at any club.

Can't believe there are people genuinely calling for Rodak to be dropped when he has been the player of the year so far.

Honestly, this forum is a joke sometimes. We get the team we deserve. And I suppose that is why we have Parker (and people defending him but calling for Rodak to be dropped!).

MJG

Quote from: ByTheRiver on February 17, 2020, 01:57:39 PM
Quote from: epsomraver on February 17, 2020, 01:41:51 PM

And that happened. Several times before he was eventually dropped.

Being statistically the best keeper in the league, means he has earned a bit of backing at he first sign of an error. 

Keeping more clean sheets in half a season than Betts has evet kept in a full season, means he has earned a bit of backing at the first sign of an error.

Changing your keeper at the first hint of an error, means that both keepers will always play badly as no one is ever settled or can play with confidence. This is why having two keepers of similar level has never worked at any club.

Can't believe there are people genuinely calling for Rodak to be dropped when he has been the player of the year so far.

Honestly, this forum is a joke sometimes. We get the team we deserve. And I suppose that is why we have Parker (and people defending him but calling for Rodak to be dropped!).
0001.jpeg
Just the views of a long term fan