watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

having slept on it

Started by 70sPimlico, February 16, 2020, 06:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70sPimlico

On a warm afternoon in August last year, me and about 2000 other whites watched us start the season. I did a 6 hour round journey and saw a lacklustre, no shape and weirdly no fight performance at a really dour football match where Barnsley deserved to win more based on effort and a plan than anything else.

Coming out the ground with the yorkshire crowd bouncing, I said to my son, just wait till we play them in the reverse fixture.

I have been so underwhelmed with us this season. In the last few games before yesterday, we've been 2nd best. Great saves, blocked shots and wayward finishing has given us a false sense of achievement but seven and a half months after walking out of Oakwell, I am in disbelief that we look as mismanaged and rudderless as we did back then.

This set up will not get in the top two, has a 50:50 shot at reaching the playoffs but will not get through them if they do. I am as sure as I can be of that. This set up is not getting us promoted.

No doubt the players will come out fighting against derby but it will just paper over the cracks of a management team that is flying by the seat of their pants as far as I can see. My gut feeling is that the players are close to losing faith.
We've had Hector playing well recently but pretty much everyone else is underperforming.

Something aint right. I'm sure it won't happen and I am not one for regular change but I would be pleased if we changed the manager this week.

filham

" Flying by the seat of our pants" would be far more exciting than the failed plans we have had to watch this season.

One Martin Thomas

I think this is correct and put very well ....

Arthur

Very reasonably put, Pimlico. Measured criticism without exaggeration (which would merely detract from the impact).

Personally, I wouldn't be pleased were Parker to be shown the door this week. (If a new manager came in, I think it would become clearer that a number of the players are not as good as their transfer values suggests they ought to be.) But nor would I be upset.

keithh

So sad & frustrating to watch; I didn't enter the MoM because I didn't want to flatter anyone. Folk see what they want to see sometimes but all I saw was a disjointed effort with the occasional flash of inspiration. Once the players start arguing with each other reveals to me that there may be an underlying sense of impotence.

Keefy

Scott Parker is not, never has been and in my opinion is unlikely ever to be a manager. He is a coach, a poor one I think on the evidence of the current season, but not a manager.

FFCFOREVER

Great OP. And spot on at that.

Keefy

And while I'm at it I believe TC is not a natural leader and as such a poor captain. He's a talented player but not a captain.

ffcthereligion

Agreed. We all know we're going to lose in the play offs and that Parker isnt the man. His saving grace is that the league is so poor this year that he isnt quite doing badly enought to be sacked. We are in a false position

clarkey

What about bringing Arter on for McDonald ? What a terrible sub.

Parker's subs are often really odd. But that gamre on Saturday was designed for Stefan. Why is he not playing him ?And why take Mac off, seems so weird.

Maidstone Lee

Quote from: clarkey on February 18, 2020, 09:55:38 AM
What about bringing Arter on for McDonald ? What a terrible sub.

Parker's subs are often really odd. But that gamre on Saturday was designed for Stefan. Why is he not playing him ?And why take Mac off, seems so weird.

Game was crying out for StefJo and taking McDonald off was very strange. There is also clear favouritism with Onomah from Parker.
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

Sting of the North

Quote from: ffcthereligion on February 18, 2020, 09:28:40 AM
Agreed. We all know we're going to lose in the play offs and that Parker isnt the man. His saving grace is that the league is so poor this year that he isnt quite doing badly enought to be sacked. We are in a false position

So is the league poor (however you imagine that you determine that) or are we in a false position (again, whatever that is supposed to mean)?

Steven Ageroad

"Underwhelmed" is a good way of putting it, I've felt like that for a while but could not find the right word. Well said Pimlico.

toshes mate

It is indeed the little things that speak loudest.  Bryan waving his index finger in front of his team mates on multiple occasions at throw-ins.  Onomah passing straight at Mitro on at least three occasions and not following up his pass so his team mate at least had a chance with two defenders around him and defenders between Mitro and Onomah. 

It isn't joined up thinking and it makes you doubt Parker's credentials as a team and partnership builder because he has achieved basically nothing over the course of the season.  I expected better and I have been sorely disappointed.