watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Harry Gregg.

Started by bog, February 17, 2020, 08:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Just seen that Harry Gregg has passed away. If ever there was a hero it was Harry. He who pulled Bobby Charlton out of the plane crash at Munich plus many other passengers including a mother and baby. Saw his play for Doncaster before he signed for United. RIP Harry. 

Dodgin

OldBrownShoe

Well said big bruvver. Harry was a top man, a hero really. And as far as I can remember a very good brave keeper, back in the days when keepers could catch the ball, dominate his area. RIP Harry. 092.gif
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

filham

Greg was footballing hero on and off the pitch, a great man.
Remember exactly where I was when the air disaster news broke, in my billet at RAF Marham, all the lads there were just stunned into silence.
I have the programme of our cup semi final from that year where the whole nation wanted Man. u. to win. and they did. Greg is the Man. U. keeper on the programme.

The price of the programme was 6d (2.5p)

Mince n Tatties

Steeeeeeeeeed

Sad News about Harry Gregg. Great Guy... Bobby Charlton is probably the last survivor of that tragedy now

HV71

What I cannot fathom is why he was never honoured- it doesn't add up. He was clearly a real hero, an international sportsman and talk accounts a very modest and genuine human being
Compared to someone like Geoffrey Boycott then this surely has to be a travesty
RIP

Fulham1959

Quote from: HV71 on February 17, 2020, 08:22:24 PM
What I cannot fathom is why he was never honoured- it doesn't add up. He was clearly a real hero, an international sportsman and talk accounts a very modest and genuine human being
Compared to someone like Geoffrey Boycott then this surely has to be a travesty
RIP

Gregg was appointed a Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in 1995, and made an Officer of the Order (OBE) for services to football in the 2019 New Year Honours.

HV71

Thanks Fulham1959 - Mybad I just hadn't seen it referred to - perhaps he should have been knighted the he would have been Sir

Thanks again

ealex40

Quote from: Steeeeeeeeeed on February 17, 2020, 07:10:37 PM
Sad News about Harry Gregg. Great Guy... Bobby Charlton is probably the last survivor of that tragedy now

Survived the crash:

Manchester United players:

Duncan Edwards (survived the crash, but died in hospital 15 days later)
Johnny Berry (never played again, died 1994)
Jackie Blanchflower (never played again, died 1998)
Bobby Charlton
Bill Foulkes (died 2013)
Harry Gregg (died 2020)
Kenny Morgans (died 2012)
Albert Scanlon (died 2009)
Dennis Viollet (died 1999)
Ray Wood (died 2002)

Manchester United staff

Matt Busby, manager (died 1994)

ealex40

Quote from: filham on February 17, 2020, 10:38:38 AM
Greg was footballing hero on and off the pitch, a great man.
Remember exactly where I was when the air disaster news broke, in my billet at RAF Marham, all the lads there were just stunned into silence.
I have the programme of our cup semi final from that year where the whole nation wanted Man. u. to win. and they did. Greg is the Man. U. keeper on the programme.

The price of the programme was 6d (2.5p)

The Semi Final replay from Highbury was actually shown on TV and I took the afternoon off from work to see us lose 3-5 thanks to an Alex Dawson ( reserve centre forward) hatrick and a couple of mistakes by Tony Macedo. I went to Villa Park for the first match (2-2), which we should have won. Bobby Charlton scored twice, before and after our two goals.. 

Steeeeeeeeeed

Quote from: ealex40 on February 17, 2020, 10:58:17 PM
Quote from: Steeeeeeeeeed on February 17, 2020, 07:10:37 PM

Survived the crash:

Manchester United players:

Duncan Edwards (survived the crash, but died in hospital 15 days later)
Johnny Berry (never played again, died 1994)
Jackie Blanchflower (never played again, died 1998)
Bobby Charlton
Bill Foulkes (died 2013)
Harry Gregg (died 2020)
Kenny Morgans (died 2012)
Albert Scanlon (died 2009)
Dennis Viollet (died 1999)
Ray Wood (died 2002)

Manchester United staff

Matt Busby, manager (died 1994)

Ahhh, that's a sad list.

I really like Bobby Charlton a tremendous amount, such a humble guy in many ways but what a footballing life he has had.

Bill2

Everyone is going on about jimmy Greaves and an honour of some sorts, now I won't go into that debate here we have a true hero in every sense of the word. If anybody deserves one it must be Harry Gregg not for what he did on the football pitch but for what he did at Munich.

gang

A day never to be forgotten, one of those times when we remember exactly where we were and what we were doing.
I was at school and we heard of the crash in München, the weather was horrendous.