News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

In General is This The Worst Championship Season in Memory ?

Started by Steeeeeeeeeed, February 18, 2020, 01:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steeeeeeeeeed

Just been really a bit drab, hasn't it ?

We are a bit rubbish and we are third.

Normally even if Fulham arnt in it I keep my eye on the battle for the top of the Championship, and look out for any incidents and cracking matches, etc...

But if Fulham weren't in it this year I don't think I would have an interest at all (apart from Leeds Wobbling)

The Rational Fan

Well, these days if a club owns a player doesn't want to play in championship they put him out on loan. So, every team is filled with players happy to play in the championship rather than the premier league. The players i want are those that hate playing in the championship and want to get promoted.

Whitesideup

We have discussed this before in the guise of whether the standard of Championship is getting stronger. The general concensus was that the standard overall is higher. Players are stronger, faster, technically more able. Teams are also better organized, and all work extremely hard. One of the consequences is that teams are more aware of how to fill the spaces, remain more compact and hard to break down, more competitive in the tackle, quicker to close down players and cover for them, and able to sustain higher levels of defensive effort for more of the game. Now take those points ... how many of them make the game more attractive or stimulate more open play? Quite the reverse in fact. They tend to reduce individuality (and that does not mean it takes it out altogether.. just makes it ever harder) and place ever greater focus on the team performance.

Drab? Fulham "a bit rubbish" but still third? Well, some people say "the table never lies" - as a generalization it may work; personally I think luck can make some distortion, but I don't think we've been that "lucky", in fact we have had crucial decisions go against us notably the penalty against West Brom.

But on the other hand, particularly with Saturday's game in mind, I would now be surprised if we were promoted, either automatically or through the play-offs.

Denver Fulham

Depends how you judge "worst."

There's no great team or even a really good one, unlike some recent seasons. That said, there's better and better quality depth in the table, and no really bad teams at the bottom, unlike past season. We're fortunate about the first part and the second part has bitten us more than most. We have 10 points from 21 against the current bottom four. That's terrible.

filham

All of the teams in the Champonship know how to contain us, either home or away, that alone makes it boring.

Sgt Fulham

There are 3 sides that are okay: WBA, Leeds, and Brentford. The rest are pretty poor. I dont see anyone who goes up this season staying up unless they are tactical and lucky in their investment.

filham

Slowly getting over the disappointment of last Saturday.

Imagine that the players have now had a good dressing down from Parker and that we will see a better performance on Friday.
It is of course still possible that we could get promoted, that would make it a good season, so lets not make our final judgements just yet.

MJG

If a team runs away with it its seen as boring or poor, no teams runs away with it and its deemed boring or lacking quality.

the truth is somehwere in the middle as usual. Its not a great season of games to watch maybe, but then again i long ago becaome bored with watching other teams games. I stuggle to sit down and watch a game where we are not playing. I dive in from time to time to catch a game, but beyond that not much else.

Just the views of a long term fan

Dr Quinzel

It does feel like no one team wants to actually put their best foot forward and win the thing.

It feels to me like the best teams in the league wouldn't come close to some of the better teams of recent years, but also that some of the teams who in previous years would be the whipping boys possibly have a bit more about them.

The 'race' itself, feels like more of a trundle to the finish in terms of quality, but that fact that anyone could still win is in itself exciting.

MJG

Just the views of a long term fan

70sPimlico

Its a weird one isn't it?

Seasons where you under achieve are far more frustrating than seasons where you just aren't very good. Two seasons that stick out to me are the "Persil" (his name has just gone. I could google but I'm keeping it real) and the 2nd Jol season. I had a season ticket for that Jol season and went to 4 games, such was my frustration with the type of football being served up and the fact that he was ruining the good work and the potential built by Roy.

We've been relegated twice since then and whilst not enjoying those seasons, found them more palatable than these two mentioned.

And yes, this season does have a similar whiff to those

SuffolkWhite

Quote from: Dr Quinzel on February 19, 2020, 11:48:51 AM
It does feel like no one team wants to actually put their best foot forward and win the thing.

It feels to me like the best teams in the league wouldn't come close to some of the better teams of recent years, but also that some of the teams who in previous years would be the whipping boys possibly have a bit more about them.

The 'race' itself, feels like more of a trundle to the finish in terms of quality, but that fact that anyone could still win is in itself exciting.

0001.jpeg
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"