watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army- Jimmy Greaves

Started by bog, February 19, 2020, 08:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Anybody see the Jimmy Greaves documentary last night? I thought it excellent. A youth team photo with he and George Cohen in the line up. Footage of Dave Underwood speaking about Jimmy signing for Barnet. A glimpse of the Maestro setting him up for goal for England as, of course, he often did.  A wonderful player.

092.gif 

FulhamStu

Greaves was my football hero as a kid.   I missed this, what channel was it on ?   Will try and get in catch up.
Thanks

JimOG

Quote from: FulhamStu on February 19, 2020, 08:19:09 AM
Greaves was my football hero as a kid.   I missed this, what channel was it on ?   Will try and get in catch up.
Thanks

I watched him coming through the Chelsea ranks. Living in Lewis Trust I could pop around the corner, of course always hoping they'd lose! I saw him in his debut season (I think he was 17) score 5 goals vs Wolves being marked by England captain Billy Wright. For sheer clinical finishing I'd struggle to think of anyone to compare - not even Gerd Muller - he was phenomenal. In the early 1960s we were 1-0 up at Spurs until Macedo had a brain fade, rolled the ball to the nearest white shirt...which happened to be Greaves - we were playing in changed blue strip. Won't bother finishing the story. We all knew where the ball would end up

bog

Quote from: FulhamStu on February 19, 2020, 08:19:09 AM
Thanks

It was on BT. He used to glide round those awful pitches taking on big heavy tackling defenders and very often just slip the ball in the net. Genius. 

filham

Remember the continual discussions with my Chelsea friends as to who was the best, Haynes or Grieves. Of course they were both magnificent and we are not going to see there likes again. How lucky we were to have one performing regularly at the Bridge and the other at the Cottage.

We were even more fortunate at Fulham that they both didn't end up at White Hart Lane.

With tongue in cheek I used to say that most of Jimmy's goals were sitters, of course the truth was that he made things look so easy, he was a genius.
I

Hatch007

It's repeated tonight at 11:30pm on BT Sport 2

I Ronic

Used to go to Spuds with a mate who was a fan when Fulham weren't at home. It would of been the early 70's Greaves and Gilzean up front. Mullery and a really tough nut Scot, whose name escapes me, Cyril Knowles and Pat Jennings in goal are the ones I remember.

JimOG

Quote from: I Ronic on February 19, 2020, 11:53:50 AM
Used to go to Spuds with a mate who was a fan when Fulham weren't at home. It would of been the early 70's Greaves and Gilzean up front. Mullery and a really tough nut Scot, whose name escapes me, Cyril Knowles and Pat Jennings in goal are the ones I remember.

Dave Mackay?

I Ronic

That's  the man. How could I forget that?

RaySmith

Mackay was real  old fashioned, midfield  hardman, who supposedly stamped his leg hard on the ground one tine to check if it was broken - he'd previously broken it before. there's an iconic photo of him lifting Billy Bremner up by the shirt front in a Spurs v Leeds Charity Shield Final.

Cloughie supposedly drove down to his house to sign him for Derby, an unfashionable club at the time, and he helped them  get promotion, and go onto  greater things.

Dr Know

Dave Mackay left spuds for Derby in 1968 !

Burt

Quote from: JimOG on February 19, 2020, 12:15:20 PM
Quote from: I Ronic on February 19, 2020, 11:53:50 AM

Dave Mackay?

Dr Know

Quote from: RaySmith on February 19, 2020, 03:04:22 PM
Mackay was real  old fashioned, midfield  hardman, who supposedly stamped his leg hard on the ground one tine to check if it was broken - he'd previously broken it before. there's an iconic photo of him lifting Billy Bremner up by the shirt front in a Spurs v Leeds Charity Shield Final.

Cloughie supposedly drove down to his house to sign him for Derby, an unfashionable club at the time, and he helped them  get promotion, and go onto  greater things.
I think it was a league game , August 1966 , at White Hart Lane !

Dr Know

Wasn't there a punch up between Kevin Keegan and Billy Bremner at the 1974 charity shield match ?

I Ronic

Quote from: Dr Know on February 19, 2020, 05:06:45 PM
Dave Mackay left spuds for Derby in 1968 !

You're right my error. I definitely went around the early 70's as I saw Martin Peter's and he arrived around that time. There was an ad on the telly about "eggs for breakfast and be your best" at or around the same time.
So Dave Mackay is a figment of my elderly brain.  092.gif

RaySmith

Quote from: Dr Know on February 19, 2020, 05:14:43 PM
Quote from: RaySmith on February 19, 2020, 03:04:22 PM

I think it was a league game , August 1966 , at White Hart Lane !

Thanks for correcting me - i thought I was wrong after posting. Obviously got mixed up with the other incident mentioned between Keegan and Bremner.