watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Amateur Players

Started by Peabody, February 19, 2020, 12:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

As far as I remember, two amateur footballers played for Fulham since the war, can you name them?

Fernhurst

Blimey Mr P what an interesting question. Toatally unaware Fulham had amateurs on their books at anytime. Was aware it happened though as my brother was an amateur with Watford.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Peabody

Quote from: Fernhurst on February 19, 2020, 12:55:33 PM
Blimey Mr P what an interesting question. Toatally unaware Fulham had amateurs on their books at anytime. Was aware it happened though as my brother was an amateur with Watford.

I do know the answer. I am sure both of us saw them play, along with others. Answer will come tomorrow, unless some can guess.

RaySmith

Was Beddy Jezzard an amateur at the start of his Fulham career?

I remember him as manager in the 60's, and just missed seeing him as a player i think - he was in some of the team photos i swapped with longer supporting mates , which we used to get signed by the Fulham players after games.

I don't know why, but the name of Ted  Drake's son, Bobby  keeps coming into my head.
The great Ted Drake was Fulham coach and his son played for Fulham during the 60's, but only made a few first team appearances.

gang

Bobby Brown in the sixties was a red headed centre forward, played for England amateur team.

bog

Bobby Brown as has been said, came from Barnet. Scored2 v Man Utd in a 4-4. draw. Use to have a hankie in the top of his shorts. Did Mike Pinner play in goal? As has also been said I think Bedford Jezzard began as one.

gang

Also have Bernard Joy, 1934 was the last amateur to play for the professional England team, albeit before the war, played 1 game for Fulham and then moved to Arsenal. It was as a Fulham player he gained his cap.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Reg Stratton was signed from Woking in 1959 and may have started with us as an amateur. A left winger if I remember .
Bobby Brown signed for us in 1960 after scoring a spectacular goal as a centre forward in the amateur cup final for Barnet. He did not stay long.
Do these count?

Modified: Sorry others above have beaten me about Bobby Briwn.

Peabody

Bobby Brown was certainly one of them. He was prolific when playing amateur football but dried up for us, didn't last long before being transferred. The other one was not an international and played quite a few games for us and his day job was as an accountant, he has the same name as a BBC political correspondent. That's enough clues for now.

Peabody

OK, no replies so the second one is a right half(4) Norman Smith.

YankeeJim

Hmm, I'm kinda sure we had eleven out there last Saturday.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Peabody

The 4 was his shirt number Jim, back then, shirts were numbered 1 to eleven a right half always wore 4.

bog

MJG

Can think of a few players who played for us who should have stayed amateurs
Just the views of a long term fan

bog

Quote from: MJG on February 20, 2020, 08:24:35 AM
Can think of a few players who played for us who should have stayed amateurs

lol and managers...

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Joe Stapleton was a professional. My aunt cared for his baby while he trained .

ron

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on February 19, 2020, 01:45:37 PM
Reg Stratton was signed from Woking in 1959 and may have started with us as an amateur. A left winger if I remember .
Bobby Brown signed for us in 1960 after scoring a spectacular goal as a centre forward in the amateur cup final for Barnet. He did not stay long.
Do these count?

Reg Stratton definitely.

Peabody

Quote from: ron on February 20, 2020, 11:29:23 PM
Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on February 19, 2020, 01:45:37 PM
Do these count?

Reg Stratton definitely.

I think Reg signed professional whereas Bobby and Norman remained amateur for their whole career.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Maybe I am over stretching the old memory muscles but I seem to remember that Reg Stratton was actually doing his National Service in the RAF when he signed for us.
Bobby Brown played several times against us after he had moved on.