watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Football Fans Books

Started by Jims Dentist, May 12, 2020, 12:28:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims Dentist

Over the lockdown I have been lent and have really enjoyed reading a good number of the above.
Most have included the element of fan hooliganism, which no doubt helped to sell the books.

Although even within these books the spirit of  shared experiences at games, particularly away from home really struck a chord and made me think of my/our own experiences, hummerous or otherwise over the years.
As far as I know we do not have a similar offering.

As fans we have so many good stories to tell.

It would be good if someone could collate a book of our fans experiences, the away trips, the extreme characters we have encountered (or been friends with). the hardships endured along the way, how things changed when success finally arrived.

Has anyone got any ideas on this prospect?

RaySmith

You don't say what books you've read.

Read the Football Factory some time ago, and thought t was pretty good, much deeper  than i expected i its portrayal of working-class culture, and I went on to read some more of John king's books - with mixed feelings about them , but I  thought he at least tries to write about working=class experiences from the perspective of someone who has actually lived them himself to an extent.

In contrast, i also read Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby. A autobiographical account of a middle-class boy from the  prosperous outer suburbs who   supported Arsenal.

The two books couldn't be more different, though Hornby's is maybe more relevant to the modern fan, with King's  focusing a lot on hooliganism.
But i think this shows the changes in football culture, and society.

I many ways I related more to King's novel, though never a hooligan myself, than Hornby's account, though i liked them both

Both are about following top teams. We need more books about the struggles of following a  smaller team, like Fulham.
I can't really relate to the Chelsea Yobs of Football Factory, or  Arsenal toffs of Hornby's book.

I suppose there are a lot more football fan books around now, though - must have a look.

As for a book of  Fulham  fans experiences - yes, sounds great. I suppose the best way is to ask on social media, and here, for people to send you stuff. These days it's easy to self publish through Amazon Kindle, though you could try to get a proper publisher interested in publishing a proper  book, which you could sell in the Fulham shop and online.
I'm sure it could be done and be a success, but you need to be motivated to do it.

Dr Know

Jim , where do I start ? I new a guy who delighted in throwing eggs out of train windows at train spotters on Fulham away trips , think his nickname was chancellor of the eggs chucker !  Also another guy who started a Fulham eccentric club amongst supporters ! Think his name might have been 70s man !

Jims Dentist

Quote from: RaySmith on May 12, 2020, 04:19:20 AM
You don't say what books you've read.

Read the Football Factory some time ago, and thought t was pretty good, much deeper  than i expected i its portrayal of working-class culture, and I went on to read some more of John king's books - with mixed feelings about them , but I  thought he at least tries to write about working=class experiences from the perspective of someone who has actually lived them himself to an extent.

In contrast, i also read Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby. A autobiographical account of a middle-class boy from the  prosperous outer suburbs who   supported Arsenal.

The two books couldn't be more different, though Hornby's is maybe more relevant to the modern fan, with King's  focusing a lot on hooliganism.
But i think this shows the changes in football culture, and society.

I many ways I related more to King's novel, though never a hooligan myself, than Hornby's account, though i liked them both

Both are about following top teams. We need more books about the struggles of following a  smaller team, like Fulham.
I can't really relate to the Chelsea Yobs of Football Factory, or  Arsenal toffs of Hornby's book.

I suppose there are a lot more football fan books around now, though - must have a look.

As for a book of  Fulham  fans experiences - yes, sounds great. I suppose the best way is to ask on social media, and here, for people to send you stuff. These days it's easy to self publish through Amazon Kindle, though you could try to get a proper publisher interested in publishing a proper  book, which you could sell in the Fulham shop and online.
I'm sure it could be done and be a success, but you need to be motivated to do it.
A big yes Ray.
I read a couple of Martin King's books and felt more involved in them than the people in Hornsby's books.
Being set a bit earlier in time made them more revelent to me.