watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our Best Post War Striker

Started by filham, May 23, 2020, 06:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holders

Favourites: Johnny Mitch and Saha. Best: Ivor.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

filham

Quote from: bog on May 24, 2020, 10:41:45 AM
I agree with all the names here but one I wish to add...Roy Dwight. Came through our yoof set up where he was very prolific from the wing, also played at centre forward, 54 goals in 72 games. 1954-1958.  I  was very upset when he went to Notts Forest. Broke his leg in the 1959 Cup Final, after scoring, and was never really the same again.   

092.gif
Oh , dear. Why did I overlook Roy Dwight, a grand little player. Shame he didn't stay with us longer.

Peabody

Quote from: filham on May 24, 2020, 01:47:54 PM
Quote from: bog on May 24, 2020, 10:41:45 AM
I agree with all the names here but one I wish to add...Roy Dwight. Came through our yoof set up where he was very prolific from the wing, also played at centre forward, 54 goals in 72 games. 1954-1958.  I  was very upset when he went to Notts Forest. Broke his leg in the 1959 Cup Final, after scoring, and was never really the same again.   

Yes, he came in as a ready made replacement for a Beddy Jezzard. He went to Forest and we brought in the underrated Maurice Cook, you forgot him too Filham
Oh , dear. Why did I overlook Roy Dwight, a grand little player. Shame he didn't stay with us longer.

filham

I left Cooky out as he was never really a favourite of mine but looking back I wasn't really fair to him and didn't at the time appreciate his qualities. My problem was that he replaced Beddy Jezzard who was a firm favourite and I tried to compare the two and Cooky couldn't touch Beddy on pace and was not therefore able to make the best of Hayne's passing qualities.

Peabody

Quote from: filham on May 24, 2020, 02:40:16 PM
I left Cooky out as he was never really a favourite of mine but looking back I wasn't really fair to him and didn't at the time appreciate his qualities. My problem was that he replaced Beddy Jezzard who was a firm favourite and I tried to compare the two and Cooky couldn't touch Beddy on pace and was not therefore able to make the best of Hayne's passing qualities.

Agreed

Twig

Bazzer and the Horse certainly deserve mention.  I would probably choose Buddy Jezzard but it's so hard, Leggat was class, Sniffer had the eye for goal and Ivor - what can you say.

filham

Quote from: Twig on May 24, 2020, 04:27:40 PM
Bazzer and the Horse certainly deserve mention.  I would probably choose Buddy Jezzard but it's so hard, Leggat was class, Sniffer had the eye for goal and Ivor - what can you say.
I know exactly how you feel, they were all favourites.
We bought Ivor for about £40,000 I think, just has to be our best ever buy.
Can you imagine the value today of a Mitro /Ivor pairing.

bog

Three I would like to have seen play.....Danny Shea, Frank Newton and Ronnie Rooke.

092.gif

Twig

I also had a soft spot for Peschi, he chipped in with a lot of important goals and had unbounded enthusiasm.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Bearing in mind the division we were in, but what they season did for us
Micky Conroy
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

mrmicawbers

Quote from: filham on May 24, 2020, 04:58:38 PM
Quote from: Twig on May 24, 2020, 04:27:40 PM
I know exactly how you feel, they were all favourites.
We bought Ivor for about £40,000 I think, just has to be our best ever buy.
Can you imagine the value today of a Mitro /Ivor pairing.
í don't remember why but I thought it was something like 3500

jarv

Given the players I have seen, Saha and Leggat for me.

Twig

Quote from: jarv on May 25, 2020, 02:52:00 PM
Given the players I have seen, Saha and Leggat for me.

Saha was a beautiful player in his pomp. So sad that he was injury prone, it meant that his pomp was short lived.

Ordar

Saha is easily the best striker I've seen play for us.

rebel

I'm actually 'boycotting the forum', happy to explain to Admin why.

But just wanted to say, on sheer ability, underrated at times, unlucky at times, self - inflicted at times,

Bobby Zamora. When his head and heart were in the right place, he was a class above the rest; some England coaches felt the same.   

filham

Quote from: rebel on May 26, 2020, 09:31:23 AM
I'm actually 'boycotting the forum', happy to explain to Admin why.

But just wanted to say, on sheer ability, underrated at times, unlucky at times, self - inflicted at times,

Bobby Zamora. When his head and heart were in the right place, he was a class above the rest; some England coaches felt the same.   

I always liked Zamora and never quit understood the problem some fans had with him in his first season. However I think
we were all backing him after that great run Europe. A true centre forward but behind McBride in my rating.

Mullers OG

Zamora and Saha for me although I also rated Dean Coney.

keithh

Saha for sheer class & Mcbride for putting his head in where others feared to.