watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Maestro - Has anyone got?

Started by Fernhurst, May 24, 2020, 10:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fernhurst

Was Jim the inventor of the long throw as a tactic?
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

res

I've got a treasured book called "Football Today" signed by the Maestro

Colton F.C.

Plenty of appetising mementos here.  Superb technique by Jim Langley for the long throw (SP please note).  A masterclass in crunching tackles by Killer Keetch. A typically confusing goal from Rodney.  A five star strike by the Maestro.  :wow: And a quiet afternoon for the mop haired future white on the wing. :clap_hands:

LittleErn

Quote from: sunburywhite on May 24, 2020, 11:26:28 AM
Here is a clip I havent seen before

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/soccer-young-england-whip-italy/query/johnny+haynes

Me neither. It certainly gives a good impression of how good the Maestro's passing was - both in conception and execution - perfectly weighted.

LittleErn

Quote from: blingo on May 25, 2020, 09:26:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUo8CpL9OjU

After watching every home match for 10 years, I think this was the last game I watched before going off to College for three years in the midlands. Met my wife, got married in 1967 and lived in Yorkshire ever since. Visits to the cottage few and far between, alas.

LittleErn

Shows how memory can mislead. I remember Haynes as being left footed, but on nearly all of the clips on here his right footed passes are the killer ones.

Dr Know

Quote from: Fernhurst on May 25, 2020, 08:02:05 PM
Jimmy Greaves once said Johnny's injury up in Blackpool was a tragedy for him.
"I was on the same wavelength as Johnny and he could spot my runs quicker than anybody".
"If he stayed fit I would have made the World Cup team".
I read somewhere that Greaves thought Johnny Haynes was a better player than Bobby Charlton !

filham

Quote from: LittleErn on May 29, 2020, 02:28:35 PM
Shows how memory can mislead. I remember Haynes as being left footed, but on nearly all of the clips on here his right footed passes are the killer ones.
He was never seen to be one footed but his right foot was the natural one that is why from the inside left position his reverse pass to the left wing looked so.so good.

OldBrownShoe

The Maestro was a quite wonderful and creative player. Apart from his long distance passing, his short passing had a certainty and crispness about it, he could completely turn the opposition defence with a drop of the shoulder, had a stunning and stinging shot with either foot, scored a lot of goals, formed a great partnership with our Graham Leggat, and with Bobby Smith and Jimmy Greaves for England. Even took the occasional penalty for us.
Particularly remember his hat-trick in our 5-0 route of USSR (bunked off school to watch midweek game on TV, and his two and overall contribution to England 9 Scotland 3.
Will never forget him. 049:gif
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

bog

Quote from: OldBrownShoe on May 30, 2020, 09:41:06 AM
The Maestro was a quite wonderful and creative player. Apart from his long distance passing, his short passing had a certainty and crispness about it, he could completely turn the opposition defence with a drop of the shoulder, had a stunning and stinging shot with either foot, scored a lot of goals, formed a great partnership with our Graham Leggat, and with Bobby Smith and Jimmy Greaves for England. Even took the occasional penalty for us.
Particularly remember his hat-trick in our 5-0 route of USSR (bunked off school to watch midweek game on TV, and his two and overall contribution to England 9 Scotland 3.
Will never forget him. 049:gif

On Sportsnight just before that game Kenneth Wolstenholme said that 'Haynes should be dropped as he is off form.' After the game and Johnny's three goals the next week's programme showed him sat with sack cloth and ashes on his head. A old form of penance for daft things said or suggested...  049:gif

092.gif

Shredhead

Thanks for the Pathe footage - great. I always wondered what Haynes was like. My dad used to rave about him.
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

OldBrownShoe

Regrettably Wolstenholme was a typical opinionated BBC fool. The Maestro was one of the best players I ever saw and rarely saw him have a poor game. He created so many goals. We have had nobody of his type since to match him. 049:gif
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

bog

You will rarely hear him mentioned because he played for Fulham. Jimmy Greaves said he was better than Bobby Charlton and Pele said he was the best passer of a ball he ever saw.

092.gif   

Fernhurst

Quote from: bog on June 02, 2020, 01:15:21 PM
You will rarely hear him mentioned because he played for Fulham. Jimmy Greaves said he was better than Bobby Charlton and Pele said he was the best passer of a ball he ever saw.

Thank you Captain, best couple of quotes ever.
We have reached the stage where life before the Premier League is pretty much forgotten.
We really have to think ourselves lucky to live through a period where we witnessed Johnny Haynes playing for Fulham FC.
Thank Gawd!

092.gif   
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

bog

Quote from: Fernhurst on June 02, 2020, 02:04:56 PM
Quote from: bog on June 02, 2020, 01:15:21 PM

Thank you Captain, best couple of quotes ever.
We have reached the stage where life before the Premier League is pretty much forgotten.
We really have to think ourselves lucky to live through a period where we witnessed Johnny Haynes playing for Fulham FC.
Thank Gawd!

092.gif   

As you say Fernhurst how privileged and blessed we were.  I wonder how he would have played alongside Ronnie Rooke? Before the 2-0 win over Everton last season I was by his statue and a very elderly man was being helped for a look up at this. In a very strong Scouse accent he told all within earshot that this player was the best he EVER saw.  He then made a point of placing  a palm of respect on the base.  :Haynes The Maestro: :54:

092.gif