watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Any converts?ll

Started by Russianrob, May 26, 2020, 04:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russianrob

I am a traditionalist religious person.Have just discovered a 6th century Saint in Scotland called Mirin (see Wikipedia) from Paisley Scotland in the 6th century.The Scottish football team Saint Mirren is named after him our patron.l am not asking my fellow Fulham supporters to swop loyalty from Fulham merely that you will count them as your favourite Scottish team as the most Catholic and Orthodox team in the UK.((Mitro is Orthodox). They play in black and white also.Any takers?

Penfold

I actually went to St Mirren once at their old ground back in 2001.

Went up to Glasgow for the Fulham v Celtic pre season match which was on a Friday night. Following day was looking for a game and checking other pre season matches on. I think a few people that had stayed went to Ibrox where Rangers were playing Anderlecht. However, was not keen on that as would prefer a lower level Scottish game. Anyhow, nearest fixtures to Glasgow that seemed to be on were Motherwell v Norwich and St Mirren v St Johnstone.

Therefore, three Fulham fans headed to Paisley for the afternoon. What a game. I think the final score was 3-2 to St Mirren but it was the sheer bad blood in the game that was amazing. Four sent off - in a pre season friendly!

Dr Know

Quote from: Penfold on May 26, 2020, 05:18:27 PM
I actually went to St Mirren once at their old ground back in 2001.

Went up to Glasgow for the Fulham v Celtic pre season match which was on a Friday night. Following day was looking for a game and checking other pre season matches on. I think a few people that had stayed went to Ibrox where Rangers were playing Anderlecht. However, was not keen on that as would prefer a lower level Scottish game. Anyhow, nearest fixtures to Glasgow that seemed to be on were Motherwell v Norwich and St Mirren v St Johnstone.

Therefore, three Fulham fans headed to Paisley for the afternoon. What a game. I think the final score was 3-2 to St Mirren but it was the sheer bad blood in the game that was amazing. Four sent off - in a pre season friendly!
I also went to the Celtic game back in 2001 , horrible bunch of fans ! Anyway , in our hotel that Friday night were several Anderlect lads , trying to convince me and my mates to go to ibrox the next day . As we were booked on the mid day train back to London we had to decline , by all accounts it was a bit lively on the terraces !

Russianrob

Was at the Celtic game that day also when we lost 3-0.Stuck in the Celtic end boldly wearing my Fulham scarf but no trouble fortunately.Saint Mirren hate the sectarianism of Rangers and Celtic, another reason to give your alligence to the Saints as your favourite Scottish team!

Fernhurst

I would get lynched if I changed my alligance.
My wife of 47 years is from INVERNESS so it's the longest name in all the leagues for my Scottish team:
INVERNESS CALEDONIAN THISTLE.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Russianrob

Inverness are an excellent team😁Would have loved to see them play when l lived in Scotland.

bog

Quote from: Fernhurst on May 26, 2020, 08:32:45 PM
I would get lynched if I changed my alligance.
My wife of 47 years is from INVERNESS so it's the longest name in all the leagues for my Scottish team:
INVERNESS CALEDONIAN THISTLE.

Surely responsible for the best newspaper headline ever after beating Celtic a few years back.... :022:

092.gif

RaySmith

Fulham played St Mirren in September 1977 in the Anglo-Scottish Cup, home and  away.

I was at the home game, which was a 1-1 draw. We lost the away game 5-3 anyone go to that?

I saw us at Partick Thistle, Glasgow, in a friendly - was that when we played Celtic? I  didn't to that game anyway. it was about that period.

It was a 1-1 draw v Partick, with Collins John scoring for us.

Russianrob

Good show Ray l remember the game but didn't go to either being far too young.You have become a hero to me Ray and one of a kind-One of the few men who has witnessed a game between the two greatest teams ever to grace the world of football- Fulham and Saint Mirren!

Dodgin

Russianrob

Saint Johnston another excellent team.Named after Saint John in the Bible.l like to thank of them as cousins of Saint Mirren.

FFChris

A colleague of mine from the past was from Glasgow and he hated all the Celtic-Rangers sectarianism that goes on and he was an avid fan of St. Mirren.  Since meeting him I would say my Scottish team has been St. Mirren.  We always said that we would go to a game one day but he now lives in Dallas and doesn't get home that often!  Have been passed the ground many times but never seen a game there.

Southdowns White

I must have been at the St. Mirren home game and probably have the programme somewhere in the loft. I have seen Fulham only play at two Scottish grounds,  St. Johnstone and Hearts, I think Stan Collimore made his first appearance for us at St Johnstone but I may be wrong. St. Johnstone supporters were fine but one or two of the Jam Tarts supporters seemed to have lost their sense of pre season friendly fun and gave it the verbals. We did smile and say its just us from good old Fulham but I think it was lost on them. My Scottish team is Queen of the South as my wife is from Dumfries and Galloway have been there a few times over the years.
The Inverness ground is clearly visible on the road going North over the bridge as you leave Inverness, looks very nice, sadly no game on around that time.

Dr Know

I also went to Hearts and St Johnstone , Hearts was on 21st July 1999 , a Wednesday, I travelled up by train that morning going to the game that evening, decent amount of ffc fans in attendance . Stayed in Edinburgh site seeing, the following Saturday got the train up to Perth for the St Johnstone game , again plenty of ffc fans there . Agree , a few jocks were a bit gobby after the game .  On a side note , a few Fulham fans being late for the train at Edinburgh accidentally jumped on a non stop train to Newcastle and missed the game , lol .

Russianrob

Starting to digress but worth a mention that the greatest Fulham player ever Johnny Haynes adopted Hearts when he lived in Scotland.The Hearts fans never knew they had a football genius in their midst.

Penfold

Did both the Hearts and St Johnstone games. Hearts fans seemed to take the game very seriously but didn't incur any problems. Visited the Caledonian Brewery the following day. Recall that we wore the bogey green change strip at St Johnstone. Also, being a beer geek, ticked off a bar in Perth that was in the Good Beer Guide post match. It was part of a hotel and shortly after being served, a wedding party came in for pre meal drinks. Myself and brother just about the only two males in the bar not wearing kilts!

Previous season, we played at Dundee and Raith Rovers and went to both. Apart from the grand Leitch Stand at Dens Park, it was a bit of a mess. However, from the back of the terracing you had a clear view into Tannadice Park, home of Dundee United. They've built a couple of new stands since then at Dens Park. Game at Kirkaldy was 4-1 to FFC as I recall. I went up to a game there not so long ago and its basically unchanged since our visit.

Jims Dentist

Quote from: Dr Know on May 28, 2020, 10:06:18 AM
I also went to Hearts and St Johnstone , Hearts was on 21st July 1999 , a Wednesday, I travelled up by train that morning going to the game that evening, decent amount of ffc fans in attendance . Stayed in Edinburgh site seeing, the following Saturday got the train up to Perth for the St Johnstone game , again plenty of ffc fans there . Agree , a few jocks were a bit gobby after the game .  On a side note , a few Fulham fans being late for the train at Edinburgh accidentally jumped on a non stop train to Newcastle and missed the game , lol .
Hello Good Doctor.
I understand there are a number of them amongst the wildlife north of the border, but wasn't that the time you first came across The Moose?

HillingdonFFC

Regarding the Celtic friendly in Glasgow. Have to say the Celtic fans we met were very friendly, not a hint of anything political. Have to say Glasgow was one of most welcoming & hospitable cities I've ever been to. It completely threw me

Dr Know

Came across the moose !  Could you re phrase that please Jim .  As for the Celtic match , I was advised to go to a bar called Bairds , big Celtic pub and told I and my mates would be fine . Very intimidating place , very anti English, got out of there ASAP . After the game on the walk back to our hotel in the city centre we tried to gain entry to numerous pubs only to be told because we were wearing trainers we could not go in , but sweaties wearing trainers WERE allowed in , Glasgow not a nice place .

Dodgin

Apart from St. Johnstone being my favoured team, never been to the ground, I have visited Scotland three times driving up to the far Northwest to Kinlochbervie,  visiting a friend who had moved there. My only football connections, where that in a small rowing boat with a small motor my friend took me onto the North Sea. A passing fishing boat gave my friend George a shout asking to take me off the rowing boat and a young lad would take my place, George would then row and get as close to the rocky beach as possible, where a lamb was stranded. The young man scrambled onto the rocks picked up the lamb managing to reunite the lamb with it's onlooking mother. We were handed a bagful of crabs from the fishing boat. George told me that the young lad was quite a good footballer. It turned out he was Andrew Morrison, who has had quite a career playing for Man. City and is still in the game managing. We had the crabs for dinner that evening. Second trip I took my youngest son, on the way there we had photos done outside Hearts ground and the old Annfield stadium of Stirling Albion. Glorious country to visit.