watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

If Arter starts against Cardiff

Started by The Swan, July 08, 2020, 10:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

If he starts against Cardiff there is a good chance that he might get booked or worst still get sent off.

Hopefully Parker will warn him not to do anything stupid.

We must keep all players on the pitch for the whole game.
The Swan

ByTheRiver

To be fair, although he does seem to appear to play on the verge, how many games has he played for us and how often has he been sent off?

I've enjoyed him and Reed together. Aggression, tenacity, mobile and both good with the ball. The back four have really benefited from having them there too.

More of the same into the play offs please.

The Rational Fan

If Arter gets a yellow card and we have 4-5 subs, then we should sub him with Stefjo or other player immediately.

Jims Dentist

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 09, 2020, 12:00:19 AM
If Arter gets a yellow card and we have 4-5 subs, then we should sub him with Stefjo or other player immediately.
Sensible TRF.

bobbo

i dont mind his aggression whilst tackling what is inexcusable is his persistantant agruing with referees , its got him booked a couple of times .
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Sgt Fulham

Not a massive fan of his but he is in good form. Perhaps he can smash in another one against his old side?

Woolly Mammoth

Harry Arter is a street fighter a battler, he is a players player, he will run through a brick wall and come out fighting on the other side for his manager and his team mates.
However, there is aggression and there is controlled aggression, and more often than not he goes over the line and flirts far too much with forcing a referee to give him the second of two yellow cards. If he was a rugby player he would be sin binned.
So I feel he can be a loose cannon and if he is already on a yellow and is in one of those moods, then the manager has to be proactive not reactive and replace him with Steff or whoever he sees fit, for the sake of the team, and Arter is old enough to understand why the manager has to do that.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Stevieboy

Wasn't his sending off at Cardiff more of a show to the ref which backfired ?
Trying to point out how the ref had let similar go for Cardiff just prior ?
So not exactly reckless.

RaySmith

i think It was the ref sayng he went down too easily - simulation, though i thought his delayed going down  was due to trying to stay on his feet,  and the free kick should have been in his favour, and then he was booked for a second offence for arguing with the ref, after a soft first card,  i thought.

You don't want to take the edge out of his game, that overwhelming desire to win, but obviously he's not much use to the team if he gets sent off.

filham

Arter adds much needed bite to our midfield and has show that he can score the odd goal, he deserves a place in the starting line up.

I imagine that Parker regularly tells him not to go over the top but every time I watch him I feel that a red card is but minutes away and that risk seems to increase the longer the game runs and the more he tires.
Agree that he must be pulled off on his first yellow and probably on 60 minutes . We have alternatives in midfield and fresh legs on 60 minutes will add to our strength.

flyingfish

WindyCity

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on July 09, 2020, 08:49:42 AM
Not a massive fan of his but he is in good form. Perhaps he can smash in another one against his old side?

Agreed, still not much of a fan.  I just don't think he is very good out there and makes way too many mistakes/bad passes, etc.  Credit to him for the equalizer v QPR.  I still thought he was not good that game.  Credit to him for the game winner v Forest.  Unfortunately I did not see that game, but from what this forum is saying, I guess he played well v Forest.  Again, glad he scored those two distance beauties, he gets full kudos for those.  But, on balance, I just don't think he's a very good player and FFC could put others out there ahead of him.  And he's a red card just waiting to happen, upon which I think most here would agree.

Moltobueno

Quote from: WindyCity on July 09, 2020, 05:24:43 PM
Quote from: Sgt Fulham on July 09, 2020, 08:49:42 AM

Agreed, still not much of a fan.  I just don't think he is very good out there and makes way too many mistakes/bad passes, etc.  Credit to him for the equalizer v QPR.  I still thought he was not good that game.  Credit to him for the game winner v Forest.  Unfortunately I did not see that game, but from what this forum is saying, I guess he played well v Forest.  Again, glad he scored those two distance beauties, he gets full kudos for those.  But, on balance, I just don't think he's a very good player and FFC could put others out there ahead of him.  And he's a red card just waiting to happen, upon which I think most here would agree.

Exactly this

HV71

Massive commitment, huge effort, tries really hard , wants to win , gives his all

Is that enough ...,?

For me .... sadly not

filham

Quote from: HV71 on July 09, 2020, 09:53:09 PM
Massive commitment, huge effort, tries really hard , wants to win , gives his all

Is that enough ...,?

For me .... sadly not
You forgot to mention that he has scored two of only four goals we have scored in the five games since Lockdown. I would play him but am really nervous about the red card threat.

RaySmith

Though he's actually only been sent off once this season, two fairly soft yellows - see above - but agree there's always that chance with him - he gets up refs' noses, but would you rather have that level of commitment and  desire to win, with a, statistically slight, chance of getting sent off, or a player, who never gets a card, but  never  puts in a tackle, or gives his all?

Also, I think he's a decent player too , his goal showed  great skill and quick reflexes for a start, and  speed of thought,  the fact that he's so  involved in the game, on the ball so much, probably means  he's bound to make some errors, but i think he's well worth his place in the side.

The Old Count

Here's a player who's scored two vitally important goals for us without which we would be struggling to make the playoffs and he still gets a slagging off.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: The Old Count on July 10, 2020, 12:38:50 PM
Here's a player who's scored two vitally important goals for us without which we would be struggling to make the playoffs and he still gets a slagging off.

Agreed. All of that and his work rate is infectious. Protecting the back four and distributing well. Can't see how he's still getting dug out on here. Him and Reed are the first names on the team sheet at the moment for me.

I wonder if everyone here would have been the same if he we'd had Roy Keane playing for us? Another player who often played on the edge*

*albeit a much better player obviously! But you get what I mean...

filham

Quote from: ByTheRiver on July 10, 2020, 12:57:13 PM
Quote from: The Old Count on July 10, 2020, 12:38:50 PM

Agreed. All of that and his work rate is infectious. Protecting the back four and distributing well. Can't see how he's still getting dug out on here. Him and Reed are the first names on the team sheet at the moment for me.

I wonder if everyone here would have been the same if he we'd had Roy Keane playing for us? Another player who often played on the edge*

*albeit a much better player obviously! But you get what I mean...
Roy Kean , oh Arter is an angel in comparison. If Ferguson managed to control him all those years I guess Parker should be able to handle Arter.

Deeping_white

Let him run around like a madman for 60 minutes and do what he needs to do, if he gets a yellow then so be it you bring Stef on who is the same player but slightly more street smart in getting away with fouls. Cardiff are a physical team, you need to match that intensity and Arter isn't the sort of bloke who's going to shy away from a challenge and get stuck in.

Plus at least he actually shoots, which can't be said for the majority of the squad who try and walk the ball in