News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Vote - which bench players need some game time?

Started by The Rational Fan, July 09, 2020, 03:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Since the restart, we have had starts from 15 players (1 GK, 5 DF, 4 CM, 5 FW). Since lockdown, we have had eight players on the bench that haven't started. Which three (or less) players would you most want to get a START before the playoffs?

Betts - 0 mins gametime since lockdown
4 (5.7%)
S.Sess - 5 mins
17 (24.3%)
Mawson - 0 mins
22 (31.4%)
MLM - 44 mins
6 (8.6%)
KMac - 5 mins
23 (32.9%)
Stefjo - 50 mins
41 (58.6%)
Jasper - 14 mins
10 (14.3%)
Kamara - not on bench
29 (41.4%)
No need to start any of these
2 (2.9%)
No one unless Kamara is fit
2 (2.9%)
Most of the eight should start
1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Voting closed: July 12, 2020, 03:48:49 AM

The Rational Fan

Since the restart, we have had starts from 15 players (1 GK, 3 FB, 2 CB, 4 CM, 4 FW and B.Reid). We have had eight players sit on the bench that hasn't started since lockdown, plus Kamara. Which three players would you most want to get a START before the finals?

15 players that have started since lockdown
1 GK: Rodak
3 FB: Christie, Odoi, Bryan
2 CB: Hector, Ream
4+1 CM: Reed, Arter, Onamah, Cairney + Reid
4+1 FW: Mitro, Knockaert, Cav, Kebano + Reid

RaySmith

I'm sure the manager will only start the players he thinks will best get a result in any game - now isn't the time to give players a game for the sake  of it.

As pro's if they are in the squad they should be ready to play if called upon, but accept if they  aren't and stay on the bench, though they obviously all want to play.
But maybe  you should have asked 'what players who aren't getting game time do you think SHOULD be in the team?'

Obviously Mawsome, for example hasn't played in ages, so needs games to get back to match fitness, but is now the time to give him this , unless the manager  thinks he's the only one  available to do the best job in his position.

Well, the fact that he's on the bench means that the manager thinks he's fit enough, and can do a job - if nedeed, but is he ready to start a game at this time, when every point is so important?

The Rational Fan

Quote from: RaySmith on July 09, 2020, 04:29:43 AM
I'm sure the manager will only start the players he thinks will best get a result in any game - now isn't the time to give players a game for the sake  of it.

As pro's if they are in the squad they should be ready to play if called upon, but accept if they  aren't and stay on the bench, though they obviously all want to play.
But maybe  you should have asked 'what players who aren't getting game time do you think SHOULD be in the team?'

Obviously Mawsome, for example hasn't played in ages, so needs games to get back to match fitness, but is now the time to give him this , unless the manager  thinks he's the only one  available to do the best job in his position.

Well, the fact that he's on the bench means that the manager thinks he's fit enough, and can do a job - if nedeed, but is he ready to start a game at this time, when every point is so important?

I am sure all the players are gym fit before going on the bench and most are practice game fit too. While points are important now, so is having a few players on the bench match ready that can form partnerships on the field.

As much as I like both Mawson and MLM, both have played badly first game back after long layoffs including "Mawson against Watford and Newcastle last season" and "MLM against Southampton this season".

It's certainly true that giving a start to these players will improve them if they are required to come on the field in the playoff final. I guess the real question is what is the best way to prepare for the playoff final and get points at the same time.

KJS

Leave it to the manager who works with the players every day🙄

Woolly Mammoth

Especially in the position Fulham are in at the moment, with play offs looming and the Manager no doubt has not given up on automatic either, but is realistic enough to know the position. As has been said already, he works every day with the players, he gets inside their heads to find out their state of mind and mental strength,
The manager will first and foremost pick the best starting 11 he sees fit, he might say to himself if I have to pick a team that will save my life, who would that 11 be.
There is no time to fanny around giving players a run out on some rota. There is the job of trying to win every match from hereon. More often than not he has to be ruthless as the players should be, take no prisoners.
He who pays the piper calls the tune, and the managers employers have instructed him and expect him to achieve promotion come what may. So I do not expect Scott Parker will give a seconds thought to giving somebody a start for old times sake, he cannot afford to, and in his position TRF would you ????
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

If Parker plays Hector and Ream for the next six games and Ream gets injuried for the final, you have a choice between two centre-backs that haven't played a full game in seven months or move Odoi there with two full back that aren't as strong as Odoi defensively against Brentfiords front three. 

I don't believe in playing players for the sake of it, but most players have one mistake in them after a six months without a game. Even Hector took two matches in the u23s and one in the FA cup to find his feet. While winning remain four games is important, it's most likely going to come down to the playoff games and having a strong squad for them. Getting 90 minutes on field may mean one less mistake in the playoffs.

If we face Brentford in the final are most likely chance of victory is vía keeping a clean sheet and sneaking a goal somewhere in the first 120 minutes. If Mawson or MLM play some of that match, they will need to be at their best, because both players have had awful return games. In addition, we need Stefjo is form because, if it goes to extra time Cairney would be done.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 09, 2020, 08:49:56 AM
If Parker plays Hector and Ream for the next six games and Ream gets injuried for the final, you have a choice between two centre-backs that haven't played a full game in seven months or move Odoi there. I don't believe in playing players for the sake of it, but most players have one mistake in them after a six months without a game. Even Hector took two matches in the u23s and one in the FA cup to find his feet.

I share your concerns, but there have been so many tight games recently, so it is difficult to manage to do that.
I take your point though and perhaps Scott and his men hacmce a plan B and C if that happens, and I admit Ream does look a little suspect at times and there is a case for using other defenders, but the manager has to be careful how he tinkers at this stage. There is nothing like game time but the players are training everyday playing small sided matches and are conditioned and preparation no doubt has been done.   
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Wolf

By the Sheffield Wednesday match its likely we will have no possibility of automatic promotion. In those circumstances I would like to see Johansen and Mawson get meaningful game time in the last two league fixtures (and Kamara should he be fit). Play-offs can go to extra time, suspensions, injuries, lots of variables necessitate match ready options.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

Whitestone

All of the players on the list need game time but now isn't the time for sentiment. I would like to see the manager select the best team available to him for every match. The only reason that I can foresee us mixing it up a bit is if by the time we play Sheffield Weds and Wigan we have secured the highest league position we could possibly reach. Until that target has been achieved I suspect the manager will select his strongest 11 for each match and so he should IMO.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Wolf on July 09, 2020, 09:13:47 AM
By the Sheffield Wednesday match its likely we will have no possibility of automatic promotion. In those circumstances I would like to see Johansen and Mawson get meaningful game time in the last two league fixtures (and Kamara should he be fit). Play-offs can go to extra time, suspensions, injuries, lots of variables necessitate match ready options.

Play all of them then
                 Betts
S.Sess Hector Mawson MLM
                KMac
          Stefjo    Reid
Kamara     Mitro      Jasper

filham

After tomorrow's game a play off place could be an arithmetical certainty and full focus should move to preparation for the possibility of three tough play off matches and the need to ensure we have players match fit as cover in all positions.

With this in mid we need to give game time to Kamara, Mawson and possibly Kmc., each of these three if fit could be relied upon for a performance in a tense play off match.

ByTheRiver

It's a difficult one as I do so the logic in this. However... Another side of me thinks we have just come off a break (longer than between seasons!) and should we be playing our best 11 in every match to build more understanding and cohesion ahead of the play-offs? And momentum/confidence.

Last time around (Birmingham on the last day aside...) we went into the play offs flying and maybe a little aggrieved at not going up automatically (not wanting to be so near yet so far) and maybe that helped a little with motivation. It'd be good to go into these in similar form with similar mindset.   

The Rational Fan

At 58 Votes
Stefjo   62%
Kamara   41%
Mawson   34%
Kmac   34%
S.Sess   26%
Jasper   14%
Betts   5%
MLM   5%

It seems like the top four are Mawson-CB, KMac-DM, Stefjo-CM, and Kamara-FW.