watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

2 games in ...

Started by colinwhite, September 20, 2020, 09:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinwhite

So, we are are back in the Premier League and it all seems too familiar or does it? Last time around we were gung-ho confident and sure we could impose our football on the premiership. We all know how that ended.

A three-manager season with precious little to be happy about and "gaping wounds" in the club. Our defense simply wasnt good enough, either individually or collectively.We had made quality signings which actually turned out to be signings with some qualities, but definitely not players who contributed much to collective defending.

The likes of Schurlle and company were luxury players that left us wide open. Other players from the team that had taken us up just weren`t goood enough or were they?

This time around I believe we have a more solid platform to compete in the PL, with manager very aware of the difficulties staying in place entails. He is still learning his trade, and needs to put his stamp on things quickly.

The clubs stance on this is hopefully reflected on the new contract that he has been given. That he will be given time, presumably the whole season. I cant help thinking that anything else would be a huge mistake if we are trying to build something it will take time and patience.

The exclusion of Ream and an Cairney suggests to me that Parker is trying to address the soft underbelly issue. Four goals conceded yesterday suggests that there is along way to go in this regards, and it is more complex than the obvious that TC needs to be far more creative to hold down a place in the team and that Ream is not really up to this league physically.

Other player issues could be seen yesterday in my opinion. Hector could go in front of his man in the Championship and nick balls, or get drawn out wide without catastrophic consequences. He has to work on when to go with his man and when to stay in this league, opposition players that are just as big and strong as him can turn him easily.

Onomah can no longer bully opposite numbers with his strength as he is now matched in that department by opposing players. Harrison Read looks too small to play in the defensive midfield roll, getting brushed away too easily in physical duels.

We can no longer afford the luxury of 3 or 4 touches of the ball by players like Cavallero every time they recieve the ball. Kamaras pace alone is not going to take him past players as it did last year. Im sure SP sees these issues a lot more clearly than the rest of us.

To become more solid at the back we will need to tweak some of these problems and look to be far more direct when we counter attack.

The positives for me are that the group showed that they are fighting for each other. Anguissa has also developed into a player who is going to be our main man this season, winning the ball on numerous occasions and being a positive direct outlet going forward. Mitro will score goals if we give him the right service.

Tete is looking good and will find the balance between getting forward and defending I believe. Robinson and Aina will also benefit the team moving forward in my view.

We are going to sign a few more players this week. We are all agreed that we need a quality centre-back and maybe more defnsive cover. Another forward is also a must for me. I also believe we need a strong, physical defensive midfielder who can dominate that role.

One good thing that has come out of these first 2 games is that it has illustrated exactly where we stand and what we need. Parker's decision to play Odoi against Leeds yesterday was avery clear indication that more defensive reinforcements are on their way in.

We all would have liked these to be already in place. The difficulties involved in getting these players in is not something I fully understand and it is clearly not just aquestion of laying out the money asked for, or penny pinching on our part.

It is going to be an interesting week or so ahead.

Statto

Agree with all that.

My only concern is next week may not be an "interesting week" because the window is open for another 16 days, and I've no confidence in TK learning that shrewd business in soccer isn't about last-minute bargains. So I'm expecting us to announce a CB signing on 5 October and release one of those TK interviews where he sits there like a young Trump telling us what a hard bargain he drove to get the player.

Lighthouse

I don't think TK is unaware of the problems in the team. I just don't think he has managed to bring in anybody of real quality and nobody in the positions we needed most. 7 goals conceded in two games. BRRRRRRR

But we once lasted 13 seasons in the Prem. Has the Prem improved in quality or the Championship got worse?

What is clear is that with the short turn around Parker still doesn't know his best players in each position for particular games. I am pretty sure that non of the players brought in are great improvements in what we already had.

It maybe just two games in. But it already feels like a wasted opportunity again. But then there is still time for the club to bring in the right players in the positions we badly need improvement. But I have more faith in Parker finding a right way to play with the players he has than the club actually bringing in the right players or the players who want to be here.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Pieter A’dam

Obviously TK is unfit for the job ... the more succesful DoF's have decades long relationships with Clubs, owners, players and agents .... they can sell the club to potential new players. When when TK picks up the phone, the answer is "Tony who ? from the club we are not sure will stay up in the PL ?". TK is a lightweight in the world of professional football by reputation.

alfie

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 20, 2020, 10:55:41 AM
I don't think TK is unaware of the problems in the team. I just don't think he has managed to bring in anybody of real quality and nobody in the positions we needed most. 7 goals conceded in two games. BRRRRRRR

But we once lasted 13 seasons in the Prem. Has the Prem improved in quality or the Championship got worse?

What is clear is that with the short turn around Parker still doesn't know his best players in each position for particular games. I am pretty sure that non of the players brought in are great improvements in what we already had.

It maybe just two games in. But it already feels like a wasted opportunity again. But then there is still time for the club to bring in the right players in the positions we badly need improvement. But I have more faith in Parker finding a right way to play with the players he has than the club actually bringing in the right players or the players who want to be here.
Leeds have also conceded 7 goals in 2 games, and they supposedly have "the best manager in the world".
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

stokesy

And west brom 8 I would say the championship is falling behind the premiership

ByTheRiver

Really good post.

In regards to the leagues, yes - the premiership has pulled miles ahead since our last extended stay. This is down to the finances and ever increasing TV deals. Small clubs that will be bottom half can bring in players on huge money from big teams. The big clubs, as we know, may as well be playing in a different league. Their second (and possibly even third) sides will beat us.

This is why, sorry to bang the same drum, it was absolutely vital we had the right parts in place for the start. As we had a couple, our of only the handful of games, that we can legitimately expect to pick up points this year (and by doing so, prevent our rivals. So double, essentially). This hasn't happened and the results have been as predicted. If the same happens against Villa which, at the moment, I suspect it will, the added affect on confidence and morale, will mean we may as well just focus on getting a strong champion side together for next year. Defeatist? Maybe. Sad? Definitely. All too predicable? You need only read mine and a few others posts from the final whistle onwards.

I feel for Scott. He has been sold down the river, given an impossible job that will affect his reputation when he fails (the why's and whatnots are forgotten or not even picked up on by the wider footballing community - or even our own, using Slavisa as the most recent example, given the same hand and still to this day having people post 'well, he was a failure in the Prem! Good riddance!' Etc).

All so very sad and could have been different.

colinwhite

Ok we will see.Lighthouse made agood point about Parker being able to work with hes got. I hope hes right. I still believe we will get alot more solid in the weeks to come. Possession in this league is not always a good thing. Transiton to attack is vital however and that has to become much quicker and  more direct. Our second goal showed we can teams over with the players we have.If we can fix these 2 issues we will be ok in my view. I still believe we can fix it.

colinwhite

Quote from: colinwhite on September 20, 2020, 01:27:19 PM
Ok we will see.Lighthouse made agood point about Parker being able to work with what  hes got. I hope hes right. I still believe we will get alot more solid in the weeks to come. Possession in this league is not always a good thing. Transiton to attack is vital however and that has to become much quicker and  more direct. Our second goal showed we can teams over with the players we have.If we can fix these 2 issues we will be ok in my view. I still believe we can fix it.

Friendsoffulham

Robbie

There have been worse this weekend. Southampton!

Fulham1959

Good opening post.

The reactions of many on this forum after 2 games, and after 5 minutes on the matchday thread yesterday, are childish.  Hero-to-zero and zero-to-hero - it's the same week after week, season after season.

Football fans are not known for their patience.  Yet they are all experts in football coaching, tactics, player recruitment and the art of substitution.

It'll be a tough season but that's the way it's always been unless your team is one of the elite or happens to be in a period of ascendancy.  When I chose to follow Fulham in 1958/59, my shortlist of 2 teams included Bolton (I liked the names!).  I chose Fulham.  I didn't want to be seen as a glory-hunter, Bolton having won the cup in 1958.  I am happy with my choice, still !

Maidstone Lee

I'm just really disappointed like many others that TK hasn't brought in at least 1 starting CB by now. CB has been a major issue for us for a number of years now, the fans can see it and even the pundits who hardly watch can see it as well.
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

colinwhite

Totally agree. Maybe there is a reason we dont know about. Someone really sorted that isnt official for reasons to do with the owner club. I agree we should have been three steps ahead of the game.

colinwhite

Quote from: colinwhite on September 20, 2020, 03:35:31 PM
Totally agree. Maybe there is a reason we dont know about. Someone really good who is already  sorted that isnt official for reasons to do with the owner club. I agree we should have been three steps ahead of the game.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Maidstone Lee on September 20, 2020, 03:11:38 PM
I'm just really disappointed like many others that TK hasn't brought in at least 1 starting CB by now. CB has been a major issue for us for a number of years now, the fans can see it and even the pundits who hardly watch can see it as well.
Do you believe he hasn't attempted to sign a CB better than the ones we currently have on our squad? If so, why do you think that?

He let Kongolo go back to Huddersfield, and our CB with the most EPL experience go to a Championship side.

We've spent almost no real transfer money this window.

Do we really think TK is the reason we haven't brought in our targets (CB and attacking players)? Or just maybe the teams on the other side of each deal simply haven't allowed the players whose contract they hold to leave before those teams can close their own new player deals.

There is probably a reason we have to wait...and it's probably not because (as some here think) TK and Javier P. aren't doing their jobs.

We are a small club (comparatively) with money.  Our dealings with championship side squads, or our deals with players that aren't locks to start on their parent teams have happened. 

The positions where we need huge upgrades have not.

Not everything is going to happen when we want it to.

We've gotten in two new FBs that are defensively better than what we had...and we got a keeper that is at least as good as Rodak.

Patience.

Edit: Good post Colin

Sent from my Huawei tablet using Tapatalk

RaySmith

Haven't we made attempts to sign cb's and other players, but  have been turned down, or plarers have gone elsewhere - which isn't necessarily to do with money/wages.
IF we mange Prem survival, we should become a more attractive prospect for players.

Top cb's are in short supply.

We don't know what goes on behind the scenes with transfer dealings.
According to Gordon Davies, Ivor, we  were on the phone for players right after the play-off final last time we went into the Prem, but found it hard to get  the players we wanted, and ended up bringing in players right at the last minute, who proved unsuitable, or not fully fit - except  now Anguissa does seem good, with more experience and time to adjust, and ws maybe carrying an injury before.

filham

After two games we are in some disarray . Lots of changes yesterday including Cairney dropped but we still concede four goals. Difficult to imagine what the team will look like against Villa, Mitro and Anguissa would be automatic choices but options would seem to be open for most other positions.

AnOldBrownie

We lost 3-0 to Barnesly, at the Cottage...in February, in a game we needed to win.

I say that to say it's only two games.  We looked competitive against both Arsenal (in form) and Leeds (media darling...on their home ground...with Denis Odoi as our starting CB).

I like the players we've brought in, and we should have more additions by the time we start playing more top 6 sides.

On to Wednesday.

Tonywa

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 20, 2020, 10:55:41 AM

Well in our previous thirteen years in the Prem we certainly had better players than we have now.  Remember for our first season we had Van Der Sar, Finan, Brevett, Legwinski, Malbranque, Clark, Goma Coleman and we were still struggling against relegation. Then a few years later Roy brought in Hangeland,  Hughes, Zamora Simon Davies, Duff etc. Most of those names were way ahead of anything we have now except, of course for Mitro and Zambo both of whom are genuine Prem players.