watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR-VAR

Started by YankeeJim, September 20, 2020, 08:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YankeeJim

I just watched the highlights from the Palace-Manure match and if we lose a game with that sort of VAR call, I'll have a hissy fit. The game continues and some eye in the sky calls the ref and goes whoopsie.

Really, the way to make VAR work is to do like the NFL does. A manager has to ask for a review and if he is wrong then his team loses a time out. The Prem could cost a sub, given the differences in the game. That, and the decision must be clear. How they judged that DeGea's right foot was raised is beyond me. The current process is a detriment to the game.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

alfie

Quote from: YankeeJim on September 20, 2020, 08:35:25 PM
I just watched the highlights from the Palace-Manure match and if we lose a game with that sort of VAR call, I'll have a hissy fit. The game continues and some eye in the sky calls the ref and goes whoopsie.

Really, the way to make VAR work is to do like the NFL does. A manager has to ask for a review and if he is wrong then his team loses a time out. The Prem could cost a sub, given the differences in the game. That, and the decision must be clear. How they judged that DeGea's right foot was raised is beyond me. The current process is a detriment to the game.
At the time the ball was struck, no part of DeGea's feet were on the line, doesn't matter if it's 1 ft or 1 inch.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

The Cravenette

What i think is unfair is when a penalty has to be retaken the team are allowed to change the penalty taker. I think the same player should take it. Seems wrong to allow them to pick a different player as they missed the first attempt.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Cravenette on September 21, 2020, 07:49:20 AM
What i think is unfair is when a penalty has to be retaken the team are allowed to change the penalty taker. I think the same player should take it. Seems wrong to allow them to pick a different player as they missed the first attempt.

I agree with you there, Football needs to get its act together.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

toshes mate

Quote from: YankeeJim on September 20, 2020, 08:35:25 PM
The current [VAR] process is a detriment to the game.
Agree 100% and the problem is it is making officials less effective than a bunch of observers watching a two dimensional image of the game i.e. not the real thing no matter how many images you may be shown.

bog

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 21, 2020, 09:01:57 AM

I don't think it ever will Woolly. FIFA was exposed as being filthily corrupt with Blusstter and it aint far off that now.  Last season with the sad demise of Bury, Greg Clarke, the head of the FA didn't even know of the club's plight until their fixtures were dropped. Where there is massive money focus on the fabric of the game is lost.   

092.gif

Montague

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 21, 2020, 09:01:57 AM

Same here - didn't know you could change penalty takers if it had to be retaken. Seems unfair - Just out of interest would you be allowed to change the GK for an outfield player for just a penalty?

gang

Funny how we survived before VAR, some decisions went for you and some against, the game flowed and we accepted decisions. Now I'm not so sure it's good for the game or supporters.

rebel

I agree. If the penalty taker can be changed, then Man Utd should be allowed to change the keeper, just for the spot kick.

toshes mate

Quote from: rebel on September 21, 2020, 11:33:21 AM

I agree. If the penalty taker can be changed, then Man Utd should be allowed to change the keeper, just for the spot kick.
My initial reaction would have been the same but I can see an argument that the goalkeeper was at fault and has arguably gained an slight psychological advantage over the kick taker through his misdemeanour.  The option to change the kick taker (or not as the case may be) may be seen to nullify that slight advantage the keeper may have gained and restore parity.  I am not saying I agree with this version but I think that may be why it is there.     

Beamer

Watched a penalty shoot out last week where one of the goalies was constantly breaking the rule and was well off his line and the other one stayed on his. Result goalie 1 saved 2 and they won. It's all well and good having these rules but if VAR isn't used every time then it will just gradually slip back to where we were before. If the rule regarding interference from set pieces were applied as they were when first introduced Mitro would get 4 or 5 penalties every game.

bobbo

Yes I agree keepers feet were not on the line but many penalties happen with the players encroaching , and also other keepers moving off the line , what pees me off is the inconsistacies of it.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

YankeeJim

Quote from: bobbo on September 21, 2020, 11:00:32 PM
Yes I agree keepers feet were not on the line but many penalties happen with the players encroaching , and also other keepers moving off the line , what pees me off is the inconsistacies of it.

In there is the crux of the matter.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.