watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Retroactive VAR is a farce

Started by ChesterTheTabby, October 18, 2020, 01:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterTheTabby

Moment of, like the handball pen we got, makes sense. Three minutes later because some rando can spend all the time in the world for every inch of a possibility. Disgusting.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Bassey the warrior

It's a penalty, imagine it went the other way.

Pluto

Absolutely ridiculous and ruins the flow of the game. Needs to go!

FFCFOREVER

Quote from: Pluto on October 18, 2020, 02:01:23 PM
This exactly.

Nero

Quote from: FFCFOREVER on October 18, 2020, 02:13:30 PM
Quote from: Pluto on October 18, 2020, 02:01:23 PM
This exactly.

The fact no Urd player appealed for it gives you a clue it wasnt a pen

FFCFOREVER

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on October 18, 2020, 02:01:01 PM
It's a penalty, imagine it went the other way.
The fact it was a pen is not in dispute. It's the manner in which it's given and VAR is crap.

andyk

Looked to me like there was a nudge on Ariola and the Sheff U player had his boot under Mitro's chin, which is dangerous play. How come VAR doesn't look at those incidents?   Should only ever be used for clear and obvious mistakes.

Lyle from Hangeland

I like VAR. It will benefit us one day. It was a penalty.

Mokes

I imagine Sheffield fans disagree and we would if it was the other way around.

Mitro kicked is leg instead of the ball, in the box. It's a stupid penalty but a penalty just the same.

It's hard to fault Ariola and he was one of our best again, but a better punch out would have been nice. Cav not losing control and rugby tackling the opposition to give away the free kick in the first place would have been even better

Sgt Fulham

Technically it was a penalty, but it doesn't fit the crime. Penalties are designed to prevent deliberate illegal obstruction of a clear goalscoring opportunity (anywhere within the area of the box). If Mitro hadn't lifted his foot, where was that ball going? Exactly where it landed anyway. So were Sheffield United denied a goalscoring opportunity? Apparently, and they earn a free goal for it. I have no complaints about the penalty given that it was awarded according to the rules. It's just that the rules and use of VAR are strangling the game. I am really losing interest in it.

Imagine we had scored from that chance too. That would have been a goal disallowed and a penalty given due to unfortunate off the ball contact.

Radiowhite

FFCFOREVER

Quote from: Mokes on October 18, 2020, 02:21:42 PM
I imagine Sheffield fans disagree and we would if it was the other way around.

Mitro kicked is leg instead of the ball, in the box. It's a stupid penalty but a penalty just the same.

It's hard to fault Ariola and he was one of our best again, but a better punch out would have been nice. Cav not losing control and rugby tackling the opposition to give away the free kick in the first place would have been even better
Agree, especially about Cav. Such a disappointment again but thats for another thread.

Fulham Joe

QuoteNever a penalty for me

I agree, that was never a penalty.

Denver Fulham

I look forward to these rules being interpreted in our favor every time a defender slightly tugs back or climbs on Mitrovic on a cross. Retroactive VAR will be our best assist man this season.

(Of course, that won't happen, which is exactly why today's penalty to Sheff Utd was ridiculous. The incident created absolutely zero disadvantage for them. He blindly skied a ball in the box, which is exactly what would have happened had Mitrovic not nicked his leg afterward.)

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: Denver Fulham on October 18, 2020, 02:37:20 PM
I look forward to these rules being interpreted in our favor every time a defender slightly tugs back or climbs on Mitrovic on a cross. Retroactive VAR will be our best assist man this season.

(Of course, that won't happen, which is exactly why today's penalty to Sheff Utd was ridiculous. The incident created absolutely zero disadvantage for them. He blindly skied a ball in the box, which is exactly what would have happened had Mitrovic not nicked his leg afterward.)

I'm still seething.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Lighthouse

Along with the handball rule, VAR has made the game a bizarre spectacle. I used to have a dream as a kid that I would get home from a match and the result would have changed because of some referee mistake. Now it is becoming more than likely.

VAR has spoilt the spirit of the game where clear mistakes by the referee were to be corrected. We are back now to opinion and 'well I suppose if we take things into account it may have been a penalty' type of farce. I am not enjoying this new game I used to love. I no longer will watch matches on tv because it isn't the game I enjoy anymore.

I am used to referee mistakes and controversy. We always had them. But now we just have a bizarre wait when frankly a decision could go either way depending on the mood of those watching.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Nick Bateman

It was NOT a penalty! If a player is about to kick a ball and an opponent who cannot play the ball sticks his boot in the other's path, it is obstruction and a bookable foul by the opponent, not the other way around. Take also into account it was also a high boot therefore dangerous play. But Fulham are at the bottom of the Premier league influence table and will always receive the worse decisions in EVERY match.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Lighthouse

''I am not going to complain about the (penalty) decision because we have talked about some that have gone against us this season, so we have had a touch of luck today. We will take that and I think it is due."

Chris Wilder Sheff Utd Manager.

As a side  note I thought VAR was supposed to get rid of the 'bit of luck'.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: Lighthouse on October 18, 2020, 03:06:15 PM
''I am not going to complain about the (penalty) decision because we have talked about some that have gone against us this season, so we have had a touch of luck today. We will take that and I think it is due."

Chris Wilder Sheff Utd Manager.

As a side  note I thought VAR was supposed to get rid of the 'bit of luck'.

It got rid of Fulham's "bit of luck" in that the ref was mistaken in Mitro having got to that ball in the box first. A good day from VAR's perspective.

bill taylors apprentice

Not a penalty in my book and I'm a qualified ref!