Main Menu

Retroactive VAR is a farce

Started by ChesterTheTabby, October 18, 2020, 01:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winterline

Quote from: Fulham Joe on October 18, 2020, 02:33:42 PM
QuoteNever a penalty for me

I agree, that was never a penalty.

Not kicking the ball but instead kicking the calf/ heel of the opponent in the box is NOT a penalty?!? I must not have been watching the same match...

Whitestone

100% not a penalty. Unless I'm mistaken football is still a contact sport. Two players going for the same ball. Not surprisingly there was contact but no way did that warrant a pen.

Radiowhite

Quote from: winterline on October 18, 2020, 03:36:48 PM

Not kicking the ball but instead kicking the calf/ heel of the opponent in the box is NOT a penalty?!? I must not have been watching the same match...
The contact was so minimal and when it happened there was not even any thought that it was a pen, can players not challenge for balls anymore

andyk

Quote from: winterline on October 18, 2020, 03:36:48 PM

So, every time Mitro wins a header but is then clattered by the defender, that is a penalty?
We should be getting 5 or 6 per game.
The Sheff U boss was honest enough . It was a joke of a decision.

bahay18

looked very harsh didn't it . ref was right in front of it and he said no . mitro had eyes on the ball , looked like they came together at the same moment . but thats what var does , it will spot everything . lets hope it evens up

grandad

What would have happened if we had scored in the 3 minutes between the incident & the VAR award of the pen?
Where there's a will there's a wife

Statto

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on October 18, 2020, 03:34:21 PM
Not a penalty in my book and I'm a qualified ref!

I don't know the wording of whatever rule or guidance is relevant here but yeah, to anyone who's played football or knows the game, two players' legs clashing harmlessly when they swing them at the ball should not be a penalty.

andyk

Sheff U player is off balance, because his foot is high, he's falling over anyway, because of his own actions. Collisions like this happen all the time. If the attacking player is already falling and has lost control of the ball when collision comes, it's never a penalty. When Lookman got his shot away after the Sheff U keeper fumbled it, he was clattered by a defender as he lost balance. No one even thought of suggesting penalty.

Big T

Never a penalty, both players were trying to clear the ball and made contact with each other, wasnt a goal scoring chance either
ALSO the big question for me is what if Cairney would of gone on to score that goal, would they of cancelled that too as it came from the same play ???

Sting of the North

Quote from: Big T on October 18, 2020, 05:07:50 PM
Never a penalty, both players were trying to clear the ball and made contact with each other, wasnt a goal scoring chance either
ALSO the big question for me is what if Cairney would of gone on to score that goal, would they of cancelled that too as it came from the same play ???

Yes, they would cancel it.

andyk

Quote from: Big T on October 18, 2020, 05:07:50 PM

I think the goal would have been disallowed. When the remote ref is analysing an incident, we enter a kind of virtual reality.  The events that happen may not actually happen. They can cease to exist, if the ref goes back to a previous passage of play.  Could be even more interesting if we had broken and red card offence was committed.  Does the ref ignore all events that take place in the virtual space between decisions?

ALG01

personally i think the rules have become a farce. two players going honestly for the same ball..one has to get it first that cannot be a foul.
however with today's rules it is classed as foul play..ridiculous.
the var thing is good, if it is a foul and the ref misses it then that is good, it's just that really shouldn't be a foul.

cmg

Player A and Player B attempt to kick the ball.
Player A is slightly earlier and player B kicks Player A's leg which is where the ball was a fraction of a second ago.
Has happened a billion times in the history of football. Even someone with the non-violent attitude of a Ghandi coud not play a game of football without making accidental contact with an opponent's limbs.
Some jester in a TV studio, whose job depends on making some intereference during matches, on frame-by-frame analysis, decides there was some hostile intention.
Utterly ridiculous.

This is where the game has sold out to TV. The idea, obviously promoted and supported by TV itself, that slo-mo, freeze frame somehow gives a more valid version of the truth than real life.

The Enclosurite

Quote from: cmg on October 18, 2020, 05:38:58 PM

Player A is slightly earlier and player B kicks Player A's leg which is where the ball was a fraction of a second ago.
Has happened a billion times in the history of football. Even someone with the non-violent attitude of a Ghandi coud not play a game of football without making accidental contact with an opponent's limbs.
Some jester in a TV studio, whose job depends on making some intereference during matches, on frame-by-frame analysis, decides there was some hostile intention.
Utterly ridiculous.

This is where the game has sold out to TV. The idea, obviously promoted and supported by TV itself, that slo-mo, freeze frame somehow gives a more valid version of the truth than real life.

Exactly.  And you can guarantee if Player A had kicked Player B it would've just played on as a Free Kick is not as exciting as a Penalty.   They are inventing 'incidents' now that would've been the norm before VAR.
¡COYW!

Gezza

Mitro should watch Harry Kane's performance against West Ham to see how he needs to perform in the Premiership.

Woolly Mammoth

Never a penalty an absolute farce.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

JoelH5

Quote from: The Enclosurite on October 18, 2020, 08:48:25 PM
Quote from: cmg on October 18, 2020, 05:38:58 PM

Utterly ridiculous.

Exactly.  And you can guarantee if Player A had kicked Player B it would've just played on as a Free Kick is not as exciting as a Penalty.   They are inventing 'incidents' now that would've been the norm before VAR.

FWIW I think it was super soft but what you're describing is a misstimed tackle which is often a foul.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Andy S

No penalty for me Mitro did not deliberately foul their player. It was very soft

jayffc

If their player gets there first and takes a touch to put it into a shooting position or chance to play it to someone....ok, fine, I can just about understand it...but he literally just hoofs it in the air and gets a faint touch brushing his foot. If that's what footballs becoming, count me out. Who wants penalties given for that kind sh**...just like the penalty given against Bryan for having a hand lightly on someone's back...so dull...bore off VAR....and yes its annoyed me seeing it happen in all games not just against us.... I say keep it at goal line technology and call it a day

Beamer

Surely relevance of the 'foul' must be a factor. Technically Mitro has kicked their player (albeit clearly accidently after the forward has made contact with the ball) and that has not affected the game in any way. If fouls and penalties are to be given for every contact during a goalmouth scramble then penalties (or free kicks to the defenders,let's not forget it works both ways) will be every few minutes. Mitro had a header which he put wide but was knocked in the back immediately afterwards by a player trying to defend the cross, so will that now be deemed a penalty even though he missed.
Surely there must be some thought into was it deliberate, was it dangerous, did it impact the outcome of that situation because if not I just can't see where we are going with the game.