watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Replacing Cav - a discussion about tactics

Started by Bassey the warrior, October 19, 2020, 09:41:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassey the warrior

I think we're all in agreement that Cav needs dropping. Heard a few suggestions about who to bring in, either as a like for like winger replacement (Kebano?) or bringing in Lemina and playing a lob sided formation.

Personally I favour Kebano but he's not really a right winger. We have a wealth of left sided wingers (Kebano, Lookman, Bryan, Cav - who is most effective there), but no one with real pace who can beat a player on the right. For me if we play the same formation it's between Kebano and Reid. Kamara is another option but I'm yet to see that he has the quality to play at this level.

I don't favour playing a lob sided formation as Aina doesn't get forward.

Really interested to hear your thoughts.

Statto

IMO we should keep the same formation and just player whomever is in form on RW. So rotate Cavaleiro, Kebano and AK47 with constant pressure on all of them to bring their A-game or be rotated.

Also make it the first position we freshen up with a substitution.

So next week, start Kebano, and unless he's playing a blinder, bring on AK47 on 60 mins.

Given our weakness is going to be having limited players on the wings (or at least on RW) let's simplify their role too. Stop expecting them to come inside like a creative midfielder. They just need to be getting their heads down, running in a straight line to the touchline and crossing it. Get the FBs on the overlap so we're not relying on the wingers to skin anyone. We managed to make an incredibly limited player, Fredericks, look PL quality by giving him that very simple task (albeit he was an FB rather than winger) and IMO we should do the same now.

JimmyConway

I have to disagree where Kebano is concerned apart from the odd free kick i think his way out of his league in this division along with Kamara. I give you yesterdays goal as an example neither of these two could score that type of skillful goal.
BDR will give you 100% but is not suited as wide outlet. There is a possibility Aina might be able to play that position at some point when Tete returns?
I agree that at full strength we will have to be slightly lop sided though unless LFC plays in a three with Lemina & Anguissa.

Bronaldinho

I'd love to see the diamond, but we can only do that with the return of a decent RB (Tete).

Areola
Tete   Andersen   Adarabioyo  Robinson
                    Anguissa
             Lemina        Cairney
                      RLC
              Mitro  Lookman
@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

The Cravenette

Kamara has the pace and has a wicked cross on him at times.  I would be tempted tp play him out wide.

If we decide to forego out and out wingers and have the FB's adding width I would have BDR on that side.

Jim©

I think that people are perhaps forgetting about an important side of the game that Cav brings- defensive cover (possibly better than AK and Neeskens).
Lookman was excellent on the ball, really drove us on all game. However, it's no coincidence that many of Sheff Utds attacks came down our left side as Lookman was usually nowhere to be seen in a defensive position. It was certainly better in the 2nd half as i'm sure Scott had had a word.

filham

Agree Cav.needs to be replaced but we performed well in the second half yesterday so no need to tinker with tactics, we need continuity where possible.
Plenty of options to Cav.:- Bryan, Kebano, Reid, Kamara, any of those four would be an improvement.

The Cravenette

Interesting that you mention Bryan.  As we tend to play inverted wingers perhaps Bryan on the RW could be the answer?

Lookman is supposed to be right footed but he scored with his left yesterday. I think I would rather see Lookman on the right and Bryan on the left.  Bryan had the most assists last season didn't he?   

toshes mate

Quote from: Jim© on October 19, 2020, 10:19:46 AM
I think that people are perhaps forgetting about an important side of the game that Cav brings- defensive cover (possibly better than AK and Neeskens).
I agree with this as was witnessed by Cavaleiro's yellow card and we can all reason why SP desires defensive cover at least until our defence and midfield can be relied upon not to give the ball away too cheaply at times.

Flank play is about partnerships that are defensively solid and stretch defenders on the attack to open up either the centre or the opposite flank and one would hope these tactics are worked on during training.  It often takes time to find working flank partnerships and injuries do not help the process.   This team is still a work in progress and may be so until SP has a full squad fit to play.   I'd also consider Lookman playing centrally behind Mitro since he presents a totally different problem for defenders to deal with, but that would also depend upon how the team is set up. 

I thought yesterday was encouraging for our coaching team with two important games coming up.   

We Are Premier League

Drop him for a CB and play three at the back, that will allow Aina to go forward more on his side.

Areola
      Hector  Adarabioyo Ream   
Aina              Lemina        Robinson
            Anguissa    RLC
              Mitro  Lookman

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Statto on October 19, 2020, 10:00:43 AM
IMO we should keep the same formation and just player whomever is in form on RW. So rotate Cavaleiro, Kebano and AK47 with constant pressure on all of them to bring their A-game or be rotated.

So next week, start Kebano, and unless he's playing a blinder, bring on AK47 on 60 mins.

Given our weakness is going to be having limited players on the wings (or at least on RW) let's simplify their role too. Stop expecting them to come inside like a creative midfielder. They just need to be getting their heads down, running in a straight line to the touchline and crossing it. Get the FBs on the overlap so we're not relying on the wingers to skin anyone. We managed to make an incredibly limited player, Fredericks, look PL quality by giving him that very simple task (albeit he was an FB rather than winger) and IMO we should do the same now.

Do you think there is a risk of being exposed on the counter if both full backs bomb forward? I assume that's why Aina stays back, so we can avoid that.

For me the wingers (Lookman aside) need to offer more at both ends of the pitch. It was notable that we defended much better on the flanks in the second half as both wingers tracked back well.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: JimmyConway on October 19, 2020, 10:06:40 AM
I have to disagree where Kebano is concerned apart from the odd free kick i think his way out of his league in this division along with Kamara. I give you yesterdays goal as an example neither of these two could score that type of skillful goal.
BDR will give you 100% but is not suited as wide outlet. There is a possibility Aina might be able to play that position at some point when Tete returns?
I agree that at full strength we will have to be slightly lop sided though unless LFC plays in a three with Lemina & Anguissa.

Who do we have that would be better than Kebano on the right? He's the most likely apart from Lookman to take a player on and beat him and he will take shots and get goals.

If we're going to be lob sided we would need to have the right back bombing forward and I'm yet to see Aina show he offers anything going forward, though that may be down to Parker's instructions.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: The Cravenette on October 19, 2020, 10:17:58 AM
Kamara has the pace and has a wicked cross on him at times.  I would be tempted tp play him out wide.

If we decide to forego out and out wingers and have the FB's adding width I would have BDR on that side.

He showed that at times last year, but nothing like it this season. If he can step it up I'm all for it, but I'm yet to be convinced.

Statto

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on October 19, 2020, 10:55:25 AM
Quote from: Statto on October 19, 2020, 10:00:43 AM

Do you think there is a risk of being exposed on the counter if both full backs bomb forward? I assume that's why Aina stays back, so we can avoid that.

For me the wingers (Lookman aside) need to offer more at both ends of the pitch. It was notable that we defended much better on the flanks in the second half as both wingers tracked back well.

Well we can only have the ball on one side of the pitch at a time so it will only ever be one of the FBs that's bombing forward, not both, at a particular moment in the game

Certainly I think fundamentally, we should be looking to use FBs on the overlap like we used to under Jokanovic

But yeah I accept your point that it will be dangerous at times at this level and suppose it will depend on the opposition and the way the game is going

Finnans Right Peg

Bryan should start on the left and lookman on the right .Bryan is one of our best crossers of a ball and would give better service to mitro .

Porthogs FC

Quote from: We Are Premier League on October 19, 2020, 10:45:36 AM
Drop him for a CB and play three at the back, that will allow Aina to go forward more on his side.

Areola
      Hector  Adarabioyo Ream   
            Anguissa    RLC
              Mitro  Lookman

This is my preference once Kongolo, Anderson and Tete are back they slot right in. Play to our strengths. It's either Lemina or Reed at the back, with 2 of Cairney/Anguissa/RLC in front of them. 

WolverineFFC

Quote from: Jim© on October 19, 2020, 10:19:46 AM
Lookman was excellent on the ball, really drove us on all game. However, it's no coincidence that many of Sheff Utds attacks came down our left side as Lookman was usually nowhere to be seen in a defensive position. It was certainly better in the 2nd half as i'm sure Scott had had a word.

To me the 2nd half improvement had more to do with the club leaving Lookman higher versus dropping him in. Seemed the adjustment was more with the CM covering wider leaving Lookman as an outlet to break the pressure better to get out.

WolverineFFC

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on October 19, 2020, 09:41:45 AM
I think we're all in agreement that Cav needs dropping. Heard a few suggestions about who to bring in, either as a like for like winger replacement (Kebano?) or bringing in Lemina and playing a lob sided formation.

Personally I favour Kebano but he's not really a right winger. We have a wealth of left sided wingers (Kebano, Lookman, Bryan, Cav - who is most effective there), but no one with real pace who can beat a player on the right. For me if we play the same formation it's between Kebano and Reid. Kamara is another option but I'm yet to see that he has the quality to play at this level.

Ultimately I think Aina kicks ahead when Tete returns.

Until then, Kamara, BDR, and Cav are the best options based on the opposition. Next week with Zaha I think it has to be BDR or Cav for defensive purposes. Having AK-47 on the same wing as Zaha scares me as there is an inevitable penalty or poorly placed foul waiting to happen.

Denver Fulham

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on October 19, 2020, 09:41:45 AM

We very well could use a formation similar to when Dempsey was at his best with us, with the LW/LM pinched inside and functioning as almost a secondary striker, with the LB providing the wing play and the RB/RW staying more at home, but that required a mobile striker who ran the channel diagonally to the right to open space to fill and I'm not sure Mitro is that guy.

Whitesideup

Quote from: We Are Premier League on October 19, 2020, 10:45:36 AM

Areola
      Hector  Adarabioyo Ream   
            Anguissa    RLC
              Mitro  Lookman
Would not drop Cairney for RLC. Thought Cairney performed better against Sheffield.