more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Landon Donovan Could Choose Fulham

Started by White Noise, December 13, 2010, 04:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Landon Donovan 'could opt for Fulham loan transfer over Everton return'

Los Angeles Galaxy striker Landon Donovan looks set for a return to the Premier League next month through a short-term loan deal - but he could be persuaded to join Fulham instead of Everton, it has emerged.

LA Galaxy forward Landon Donovan could be back in the Premier League next month (Getty)

The American international spent two-and-a-half months at Goodison Park last season, scoring twice in an impressive 13-game spell between January and early March.

Speculation has been rife that Donovan, 28, will return to England again for a loan spell that coincides with the close season in the MLS.

However, recent rumours that Everton will take him back have been replaced by talk that goal-shy Fulham - who have drawn ten of their 17 league games so far in the current campaign - will also make a bid.

Cottagers manager Mark Hughes said after Saturday's goalless home draw with Sunderland that he would be targetting a forward in January.

He said: 'We are missing a Bobby Zamora type and he will not be back until the end of January or start of February if everything goes to plan.

'So if there's someone we can bring in to help us, we will look at it.

'But more often than not strikers cost a lot of money at Premier League level, so we will have to see.'

While Donovan does not represent a traditional target man, he showed at the World Cup with crucial strikes against Slovenia, Algeria and Ghana that he is capable of providing a cutting edge - something Fulham have lacked this season.

The presence of American international team-mate Clint Dempsey at Craven Cottage may also provide a draw for Donovan.

However, Moyes has hinted he won't give up on the forward without a fight.

'We know we need a striker,' he said.

'But the sort of money it will cost... it is probably a reality that we will have to look at bringing in a loan player, that it will be the loan market we will need to look at to provide some sort of solution.'

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/850309-landon-donovan-could-opt-for-fulham-loan-transfer-over-everton-return#ixzz180eCF4yp

AlFayedsChequebook

Would love to see Donovan come in on loan for a few months, he would provide some much needed pace and in all probability some goals, perhaps like Duff of last year.

That said, I would be surprised if he did come, seeing that Everton are an option again.

SmithyFFC

FTID

BalDrick

Thought we'd moved on from his calibre, though perhaps not. If all we limp out of January with is him, plus a few players signing extensions (which we always seem to do in a window) and the promise that Zamora's recovery is 'going to plan', then, well put it like this, good chance we won't be playing QPR next season after all.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

HatterDon

Donovan is a better footballer than anyone we've got who can play on Saturday. He'd be a great upgrade to our squad. Having said that, he likes and respects Moyes and Moyes will need him as Cahill will be off to Qatar for the Asian Cup. I expect he'll go to Goodison and play brilliantly again.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

duffbeer

He needs a rest if you ask me,  has anyone on earth played more over the last year and a half than him?

Plus he spoke very highly of the Everton fans and how well everyne treated him; he'll either rest or go to Everton.

Jimbobob

Quote from: HatterDon on December 13, 2010, 05:05:33 PM
Donovan is a better footballer than anyone we've got who can play on Saturday. He'd be a great upgrade to our squad. Having said that, he likes and respects Moyes and Moyes will need him as Cahill will be off to Qatar for the Asian Cup. I expect he'll go to Goodison and play brilliantly again.

:dft008:
He is not better than Deuce though they play different psoitions. I am still not sold he is tough even though he was togher in the World Cup than he has been. Not a big fan being that he plays 90% of the time in the garbage MLS.
And yes the MLS is grabage......... go to the school of science.
"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?

Burt

A return rate of 2 goals in 13 appearances for Everton pans out at roughly 6 a season.

Is he really the answer?

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Burt on December 13, 2010, 07:23:09 PM
A return rate of 2 goals in 13 appearances for Everton pans out at roughly 6 a season.

Is he really the answer?

Those two goals came from midfield and the thirteen appearances don't take into account the fact that he came from "garbage MLS" and had little time to acclimate to the league. There have been many "better" players from better leagues who've failed in the same situation.

To me, he wouldn't be more than a part of the answer to our problems. Donovan would be a wonderful addition if we had a healthy team. Right now we need to be looking for a "primary" source of goals. If we had that and Donovan still wanted to come, I'd say def. yes.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

White Noise

Toodles old chap - your avatar is not showing up - other than as a red x. Any chance of updating/changing it? Cheers.

os5889

He's just another Dempsey/Gera type isnt he? :hook:

mccscratch

Quote from: os5889 on December 13, 2010, 08:45:46 PM
He's just another Dempsey/Gera type isnt he? :hook:

Yup just like those 2 above he would make Fulham much much better...  :038:
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

Tom

I would love to have Landon play for Fulham!  :54:
Fulham for life!

Steve_orino

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on December 13, 2010, 07:46:31 PM
To me, he wouldn't be more than a part of the answer to our problems. Donovan would be a wonderful addition if we had a healthy team. Right now we need to be looking for a "primary" source of goals. If we had that and Donovan still wanted to come, I'd say def. yes.

Couldn't agree more Mr. Toodles.  Dempsey, Dembele, Donovan...they'd all do a lot better with a primary option
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

Peyton

I think we need an out and out goal scorer rather than yet another "attacking midfielder" type although he does have more pace than those we have. Beckham is available and would probably provide more ammo than Donovan and still takes a sweet free kick.
I am therefore I must be.....I think?

TonyGilroy

We absolutely must have a striker who can hold the ball up and cause a physical threat.

It would be nice to have more than that though and Donovan would be a real asset.

mjgeduardo

Donovan on loan would be an asset with or without a 'primary source' of goals. He would brin us a bit of flair and a good source of quality balls into the box, both which we seem to to be lacking in the final third this year.

AlFayedsChequebook

I doubt that Hughes is looking at Donovan as a 'primary option' but more of a supplemental option to go along with a target man (which we HAVE to buy) as it would be only a loan.

At the end of the day, I think adding Donovan would guarantee us at least 3 points between when he joins and when he leaves. Again, I do not think he will come though.

LordNelson

I don't think we need another Donovan type midfielder--we have our fair share-- and we sure don't need another short but pacey forward.
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"