watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Where’s Tom

Started by Beamer, July 24, 2021, 12:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beamer

Looked at the latest training video, didn't see TC, have I missed something.

WestSussexWhite

He only trains 2 or 3 times a week. Has done for 3 years due to his dodgy knees

JackHamlet90

Cairney won't be a main man this year but will play his part over a 46 game season

FulhamStu

Quote from: JackHamlet90 on July 24, 2021, 07:38:58 AM
Cairney won't be a main man this year but will play his part over a 46 game season

So we will probably rotate Cairney/Seri/Onomah.

Grimes Reed and Frank will compete for the 2 x midfield behind the 10, if we sell Frank we are short in midfield.

filham

I really don't buy the idea of Cairney just being part of a rotating midfield. Cairney is unigue and previously our game plan centered around him and it worked well. For Cairney to be just another player in a rotating midfield will not be so effective.

WestSussexWhite

Quote from: filham on July 24, 2021, 10:21:54 AM
I really don't buy the idea of Cairney just being part of a rotating midfield. Cairney is unigue and previously our game plan centered around him and it worked well. For Cairney to be just another player in a rotating midfield will not be so effective.

The reason TC will need to be a rotating midfielder is because of his knees. I very much doubt he'll be able to play more than 35 games

FulhamStu

Quote from: filham on July 24, 2021, 10:21:54 AM

I say he will be rotated because his knees are breaking down.  WSW says he only trains 3 times a week so with a 46 game league season plus cups, I think Tom will benefit from only playing once a week, and he may not be able to do even that.

jarv

I am a big fan of TC, like his style and second to none in ball retention and finding a key pass. The team will miss a lot if he is coming to an end.

Whitestone

Seriously, does anyone really have first hand knowledge about Tom's knees. Sounds like conjecture to me. There were rumours floating around at the end of last season that Tom was fit for the last few games but Parker chose not to select him. Make of that what you will. What is factual is that Tom played 39 times in the 19/20 Championship season so assuming he is fit I can't see any reason why he shouldn't be an integral part of our team this coming season. I certainly hope so because he is a special player in the Championship.

filham

We really need to get a good midfield settled in and performing as a unit as soon as ever possible if we are to be a Championship promotion contender.

Seems to me that Tom's knee is critical to our success, maybe we are now considering holding on to Seri who could possibly step in to take over Tom's role from time to time.

H4usuallysitting

He's going to be our new Murphy, deeper role

Statto

Quote from: Whitestone on July 24, 2021, 12:10:17 PM
Seriously, does anyone really have first hand knowledge about Tom's knees. Sounds like conjecture to me. There were rumours floating around at the end of last season that Tom was fit for the last few games but Parker chose not to select him. Make of that what you will. What is factual is that Tom played 39 times in the 19/20 Championship season so assuming he is fit I can't see any reason why he shouldn't be an integral part of our team this coming season. I certainly hope so because he is a special player in the Championship.

Agreed. The claim he only trains 2-3 times per week was on Twitter earlier and I think is just another one of those rumours that some becomes received wisdom. Just said on another thread, his availability/injury record over the last couple of years is about the same as Reed's, another player who will never play 40-odd games, so does he also have "dodgy knees" that need to be protected through limited training?

WestSussexWhite

Quote from: Statto on July 24, 2021, 08:57:51 PM

Agreed. The claim he only trains 2-3 times per week was on Twitter earlier and I think is just another one of those rumours that some becomes received wisdom. Just said on another thread, his availability/injury record over the last couple of years is about the same as Reed's, another player who will never play 40-odd games, so does he also have "dodgy knees" that need to be protected through limited training?

The only reason TC can play that many games is because of his training schedule. He has only trained for 3 days week since our first prem season back.

Texas White

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

Tom needs to be sold. He isn't prem quality and is past it now after such a long lay off. Cash in on him and get someone more reliable.

WestSussexWhite

Quote from: RufusBrevettatemyhamster on July 25, 2021, 05:42:57 PM
Tom needs to be sold. He isn't prem quality and is past it now after such a long lay off. Cash in on him and get someone more reliable.

Who's gonna sign him on the money he's on. And I very much doubt he'll pass a medical anywhere else

blingo

Quote from: WestSussexWhite on July 25, 2021, 06:01:14 PM
Quote from: RufusBrevettatemyhamster on July 25, 2021, 05:42:57 PM

Who's gonna sign him on the money he's on. And I very much doubt he'll pass a medical anywhere else

Says it all Mr WSW

Somerset Fulham

Twig

Quote from: WestSussexWhite on July 24, 2021, 09:24:33 PM

The only reason TC can play that many games is because of his training schedule. He has only trained for 3 days week since our first prem season back.

Can I ask how you know that please?

WestSussexWhite

Quote from: Twig on July 25, 2021, 08:59:25 PM
Quote from: WestSussexWhite on July 24, 2021, 09:24:33 PM

Can I ask how you know that please?

I've got friends who work at Fulham, although this has been publicly reported too