Previous topic - Next topic

Mawson over Ream?

Yes
38 (77.6%)
No
11 (22.4%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Classic94

Mawson was a stand out performer last night and looks to be full of confidence. Injury issues aside, he's a PL-pedigree CB.

Nothing against Ream who's not done anything especially wrong, but I personally think Tosin/Mawson is our strongest available combo. Be interesting to see what the consensus is.

JimmyConway

Not sure if his a premier league defender though. Had the good season at Swansea but they were relegated that season. Certainly think if injuries permit his a solid championship defender.

Statto

Mawson is a far better defender than Ream on every metric except passing but that's an important one for us. Ironically I'd prefer Mawson in the PL because at that level we spend more time defending and less time in possession, but at this level, factoring in the probability that Mawson probably won't last a season anyway, I'd probably just be inclined to stick with Ream for now.

bobbo

Mawson for certain, but I wouldn't want to be labelled a ream knocker . He's been a fabulous servant to the clu and still playing well , just I think mawson is better.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Ara's bacon crisps

Just very impressed with the way he has come back from loss of form, bad injuries, being loaned out etc. Will be like a bonus new signing if he keeps this up.

Woolly Mammoth

You have to pick your best players in the position they play in and if Alfie Mawson medical history is not holding him back, he should be currently chosen over Tim Ream on merit. Although I am sure Tim  Ream supporters may have something to say about that.
Providing he is injury free, Mawsons selection is a no brainer for me.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Sgt Fulham

I think Ream would be hard done by as he has generally played well this season, but I would love to give Tosin-Mawson a go.

JimOG

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on September 22, 2021, 01:15:29 PM
I think Ream would be hard done by as he has generally played well this season, but I would love to give Tosin-Mawson a go.

He looked a completely different player to his previous form. He's also clearly a leader. Ream is 34 and will be away on international duty. I'd also like to see this Tosin - Mawson central pairing.
I suppose the problem for Silva this weekend is how many changes to make. Would you start Rodak before Gazza (I think he's quicker out to block and can't be any worse in the air), Christie before Odoi, Chalobah before Josh, Muniz alongside Mitro ??

filham

Mawson is looking good, better than he has ever looked at Fulham and it re assuring to know that he can step into a center back position when needed without weakening the defense.
Ream and Tosin are however playing well and should remain in the team, Ream is so good going forward.
However there is no need to put Ream under close match pressure, when returning from a tough international tour of three matches and lots of traveling, he should be given recovery time by using Mawson.

Facts Not Fiction

I think Ream has been good, but I do think that Mawson is worth the game investment. Especially now he's fit.

Playing next to Tosin at this level will improve anyones game, and of course, Mawsons ceiling is far higher than Ream.

ALG01

i think until last night mawson has looked to be a player that was worried by his own fitness and holding back OR incapable of performing to his full potential. the short while i have seen this season and particularly last night he looked to have got over what ever was holding him back and looked a class act full of confidence....AT LAST
When tosin came on mawson and Tosin looked like the natural first choice pairing to me and I love ream. I think that may now happen or certainly in the near future.
What we will miss with ream is a better natural distribution of the ball BUT ream'e terrible error cost us on saturday so its plus and minus really.

but mawson, top class last night 10/10

H4usuallysitting

He could easily fit into a back 3

Pluto

Ream has been great this season. I don't think it's the right time yet but I would certainly rotate Mawson in for after international breaks and to give him a rest every now and then. Lots of games still to play this season.

WolverineFFC

Real tough question, but I went for Ream mostly because of the LF versus RF.

RaySmith

Quote from: Pluto on September 24, 2021, 01:16:11 AM
Ream has been great this season. I don't think it's the right time yet but I would certainly rotate Mawson in for after international breaks and to give him a rest every now and then. Lots of games still to play this season.

Yes, does Ream deserve to be dropped, a good captain too.

But Mawson should get his chance with so many games this season.

ianthailand

Quote from: RaySmith on September 24, 2021, 04:40:38 AM
Quote from: Pluto on September 24, 2021, 01:16:11 AM
Simple question but the hardest of answers. Probably keep Ream but if Mawson keeps his fitness then it will be hard to keep him out. As someone said he is younger and has a higher ceiling. Nice problem to have, especially if Kongolo regains 100% fitness as he is possibly the best of the lot. Pity competition for RB is not as strong.

Yes, does Ream deserve to be dropped, a good captain too.

But Mawson should get his chance with so many games this season.