more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The most pointless chant.

Started by Andy S, September 22, 2021, 12:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruislip White

Quote from: MartyFFC on September 22, 2021, 11:07:13 PM
First it was expressing outrage at fans booing, then fans swearing; and now the legitimacy of chants is being questioned. Essentially a portion of our fan base doesn't like booing, swearing, standing or singing. Literally should get themselves down Shaftesbury Avenue and take in a show instead

I think you've conflated lots of different things there.
Booing and singing doesn't impact other fans.  Standing and swearing does.  Therefore it's not unreasonable to expect fans to be considerate to others around them  with their behaviour regarding standing and constant swearing.
To use your analogy, anyone that couldn't care less about other fans literally should get themselves down to Millwall or West Ham and take in a game there instead.

Fulham 442

First it was expressing outrage at fans booing, then fans swearing; and now the legitimacy of chants is being questioned. Essentially a portion of our fan base doesn't like booing, swearing, standing or singing. Literally should get themselves down Shaftesbury Avenue and take in a show instead

:005:

Fulham 442

My favourite is "Oh when the whites go marching in".  My eldest son, as a youngster, was convinced the one line went "I want to be in that rumba" instead of "number".  We still tease him about it and sing that line at a game if we are there!

Andy S

I love misheard lyrics but I'm a bit deaf anyway. I could never work out the papa bouba Diop song so I made up my own words. Sometimes the made up lyrics are better than the actual ones

RaySmith

Quote from: Ruislip White on September 23, 2021, 07:27:38 AM

Booing and singing doesn't impact other fans.  Standing and swearing does.  Therefore it's not unreasonable to expect fans to be considerate to others around them  with their behaviour regarding standing and constant swearing.
To use your analogy, anyone that couldn't care less about other fans literally should get themselves down to Millwall or West Ham and take in a game there instead.

But all these things - booing, singing, swearing and standing, are things people have complained about on here, and this does maybe say something about our support, and it's lack of passion- whether you think that's good or bad.

Though, i think it's a bit of a sweeping statement, and rather snobbish, to say that fans of Millwall and West Ham don't have the same arguments about standing, if not about swearing, singing and booing.

Statto

Quote from: Fulham 442 on September 22, 2021, 02:33:49 PM
Quote from: Statto on September 22, 2021, 02:22:24 PM
Quote from: sarnian on September 22, 2021, 02:01:44 PM
Is this a library is the most pointless chant.  You hear it every game at every ground in the country including all premiership clubs. Pointless

*This is* a library

It's a statement not a question
I think you will find they are both sung...

Yeah you and sarnian singing "is this a library?" and everyone else in the world singing "this is a library"

Statto

Agreed. Why the f*** do these people bother going. If you don't go for the atmosphere stay at home and watch it on TV. No one will stand in front of you there or offend your ears with booing or swearing and other nasty behaviour. You even get replays.

Jim©

Quote from: Statto on September 23, 2021, 11:03:44 AM
Is this a library is the most pointless chant.  You hear it every game at every ground in the country including all premiership clubs. Pointless

*This is* a library

Yeah you and sarnian singing "is this a library?" and everyone else in the world singing "this is a library"

Think you'll find it's 99.9% "is this a library".
Even the vid from Old Trafford with Saints fans singing "is this a library" is titled This is a Library so you're not the only one getting it wrong.

ALG01

Quote from: Jim© on September 23, 2021, 11:47:20 AM

*This is* a library

Even the vid from Old Trafford with Saints fans singing "is this a library" is titled This is a Library so you're not the only one getting it wrong.

TBH I think whgen thoe leeds fans sing is this a library it is actually a question because based on their other chants i actually do not think they know what a library is.
To just amplify. they said in their chants they were europeon champions, of what? They never were and remain not so I have reason to believe they are not completely at the races.
We should have responded with, no this is not a library because a library is where you can read and borrow books and other reading matter, this is in fact craven cottage the home of Fulham football club the best club in the entire world.

Statto

*This is* a library

is it me or did this post completely change in the 14 minutes between you posting it and editing it?

Jim©

Quote from: Statto on September 23, 2021, 02:31:45 PM

*This is* a library

is it me or did this post completely change in the 14 minutes between you posting it and editing it?

Nope, didn't change its meaning at all, just made the wording clearer.

Your trying to deflect from getting something wrong is admirable/amusing.

Statto

Quote from: Jim© on September 23, 2021, 03:03:20 PM
Quote from: Statto on September 23, 2021, 02:31:45 PM

*This is* a library

Nope, didn't change its meaning at all, just made the wording clearer.

Your trying to deflect from getting something wrong is admirable/amusing.

It said if you google it, you get more answers for "is this a library"
Now it says there's a video called "this is a library"
To be honest i don't attach much weight to either argument (the google claim was wrong and the video claim doesn't even make sense) but find it "admirable/amusing" that you're on your arse (as per)
I go to games, i hear the song, i don't need to engage in a debate about it

Jim©

Quote from: Statto on September 23, 2021, 03:14:49 PM

To be honest i don't attach much weight to either argument (the google claim was wrong and the video claim doesn't even make sense) but find it "admirable/amusing" that you're on your arse (as per)
I go to games, i hear the song, i don't need to engage in a debate about it

Ah bless, backing out when wrong again.
Do google the phrase you believe it to be, and guess what all the answers come up as? The "this is" version. Weird eh?
I'd get your ears syringed perhaps.

Statto

Quote from: Jim© on September 23, 2021, 04:11:30 PM
Do google the phrase you believe it to be, and guess what all the answers come up as? The "this is" version.

"This is"? Exactly.
Have you forgotten which side of this argument you're on?
Maybe this another post you'll need to edit when you realise your silly error. 

Woolly Mammoth

Statto,
Why have you put your War Paint on again, you must relax otherwise you will never live to be 100 and see Fulham win the FA Cup.
By the way the definition of Library as defined in the English, Oxford, Colin's Dictionary is.... 
A Building or room that contains a collection of books, periodicals and sometimes films and recorded music for use or borrowing by the public or the members of an institution.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Jim©

Quote from: Statto on September 23, 2021, 04:26:50 PM
Quote from: Jim© on September 23, 2021, 04:11:30 PM
Do google the phrase you believe it to be, and guess what all the answers come up as? The "this is" version.

"This is"? Exactly.
Have you forgotten which side of this argument you're on?
Maybe this another post you'll need to edit when you realise your silly error. 

Is this of course! Typo, but didn't want you to get angry again that I'd modified the post.

Ruislip White

Quote from: RaySmith on September 23, 2021, 10:03:43 AM
Quote from: Ruislip White on September 23, 2021, 07:27:38 AM

But all these things - booing, singing, swearing and standing, are things people have complained about on here, and this does maybe say something about our support, and it's lack of passion- whether you think that's good or bad.

Though, i think it's a bit of a sweeping statement, and rather snobbish, to say that fans of Millwall and West Ham don't have the same arguments about standing, if not about swearing, singing and booing.
A fair point.  I personally value decent and considerate behaviour over passion.  The reason I ended up supporting Fulham in my adult life is that I could actually bring my young children without our fans standing and calling the ref a wan### or opposition players c#### every 2 seconds.  Honestly, I couldn't do that at West Ham or Millwall (and have friends that support those clubs and won't take their  wives or kids).  Call it ''snobbish' but I genuinely feel our fan base is generally better behaved and more decent that most others - passion doesn't always equate to standing and swearing.

Twig

I've no problem with chants and I don't really think the term "pointless" applies. Surely all chants could be argued to be pointless but they're still an important part of the atmosphere. As long as they aren't racist or homophobic I'm fine with most of them.   Not sure what that's got to do with booing, swearing and standing? But if you're a complete numpty you probably think it's all fine and fcuk to anyone around you.