watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

2022 - The Year Football dies

Started by Lighthouse, September 22, 2021, 10:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

The Premier League are thinking of having a 7 week break so the pointless and money spinning World Cup can go ahead. The greed and the money men who wanted a World Cup in Qatar will spoil the football fixtures causing heavy fixture congestion and a 7 week mid season break. The fact that teams outside the Prem supply players to World Cup teams doesn't seem to have crossed the money mens minds.

This from the BBC

The Premier League could have a seven-week mid-season break in 2022-23 to accommodate the 2022 Qatar World Cup.

At a meeting on Wednesday, it was proposed the next campaign would stop after the weekend of November 12 before fixtures resumed again on 26 December.

The season is also set to begin a week earlier than normal on 6 August and finish a week later on 28 May.

That would therefore push both the Champions League and FA Cup finals into June.

The clubs were shown an outline calendar at a shareholders' meeting.

The World Cup runs from 21 November to 18 December and global governing body Fifa has already stipulated that players must be released on 14 November.

That would have taken out seven rounds of Premier League games and the final two Champions League group stages matches from this season's calendar.

It is understood Uefa is planning to complete the group stage of next season's competition before the World Cup, which will create heavier fixture congestion. It would be similar to that experienced last term, which started late because of the effects of the shutdown in 2019-20.

The Qatar World Cup is being staged in November and December because temperatures can reach up to 50C in the summer months.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

MartyFFC

Essentially the entire footballing calendar is being turned on its head, in order to enable FIFA to trouser millions from the Qatari government. A country with zero footballing heritage or credibility, and a country who have literally built their stadiums with slave labour, many of whom have died in the process. It's pretty reprehensible stuff really, though sadly predictable with the monetisation and greed that has infected football. I'm all for sharing the WC around the world in different locations and it was great to see tournaments held in Korea/Japan and South Africa. But Qatar 22 - no thanks

SP

The Qatar unveiling ceremony was disgusting, shameful.

Twig

The World Cup is not pointless. Many of us care passionately about the success of the England team. However the pathetic and corrupt FIFA allocations to countries like Qatar are fast devaluing what used to be a wonderful competition.  I am a huge supporter of meaningful and uncorrupted international football but not the cr4p that is currently served up

Lyle from Hangeland

Too late to do anything about it now.

MikeTheCubed

Hope we send a "pub team" to represent England.

(Yes I know)

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Twig on September 22, 2021, 10:49:32 PM
The World Cup is not pointless. Many of us care passionately about the success of the England team. However the pathetic and corrupt FIFA allocations to countries like Qatar are fast devaluing what used to be a wonderful competition.  I am a huge supporter of meaningful and uncorrupted international football but not the cr4p that is currently served up

0001.jpeg
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

For me, the biggest problem with International Football is the qualification system, friendlies, and meaningless games. Most international teams play 45 matches every four years, even though a knockout World Cup would only take eight games and a knockout European Cup would only take six games. It's fairly easy to have more cups and less games.

Andy S

I think people will soon be fed up with all kinds of football. Pockets only have a certain amount of money for football. I have already cancelled my Sky subscription because it is exorbitant. And I rarely watch any football on the terrestrial channels

Woolly Mammoth

Corruption is a word in a Dictionary owned by FIFA. You will find this word stuck between Cheat and Cozen.
The beautiful game is turning ugly due to greed and money which is a snake that cannot be charmed.
It is now played by cheats and actors and spoilt brats who are made of glass. Now that sky worships the ground that Liverpool and Man U walk over and everyone else in the football pyramid is irrelevant.
The game as it is now is built on sand and will collapse like a pack of cards when the sponsors pull out, and the big clubs will be the first to capitulate.

Never forget your Roots.

SG

I think it started dying in 1992 when the Premier League was formed- just that we didn't know it at the time

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: SG on September 23, 2021, 08:12:04 AM
I think it started dying in 1992 when the Premier League was formed- just that we didn't know it at the time

Correct.

Never forget your Roots.

blingo

They could shorten the time between rounds in the WC and that would save the queueing time outside the toilet.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 23, 2021, 08:33:24 AM

Correct.

My German friends did know it at the time, as they have always been scared of fans losing control of their Clubs.

gang

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: gang on September 23, 2021, 09:30:12 AM
Quote from: MikeTheCubed on September 23, 2021, 12:15:38 AM
Hope we send a "pub team" to represent England.

Don't we already?

I covered for that quip in the "hidden" part of my post on the 2nd line  082.gif.

filham

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 23, 2021, 08:33:24 AM

Correct.
Yes, and it is all about money and TV rather than football and football and football fans.
Just look at the replays of one of those old matches with Best and Marsh in the Fulham team and then try to convince me that football is more entertaining than it used to be.

bog

All down to blustering Blatter.  :031:

092.gif

ALG01

I think we did  064.gif

jarv

Agree, premier has killed football. It is so predictable, Norwich are down already, just like Fulham were after about 12 games last year. The top 6? Same teams every year, except for Leicester. What a breath of fresh air they were.