watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Where have You Stood/Sat at the Cottage

Started by filham, September 23, 2021, 06:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

I have over many years been a creature of habit at the Cottage not moving my view point for long periods.

1. My first regular standing place for a few years was behind the goal at the Putney End . That was in the days when.it was earth terracing and you were free to change ends at half time which a lot of us did if Fulham were attacking the Hammersmith end in the second half.

2. After a few seasons I moved to the Hammy End, now with the luxury of concrete terracing and in later years cover. I really enjoyed a position just to one side of the goal about three crush barriers from the front. I stayed in this position for many years where I met friends and saw other regulars at each match. Only moved when we had to play at Loftus Road.

3. On return from Loftus road it became all seating and we were unable to book a particular seat and I thought there was a possibility of being pushed into a nasty corner in the Hammy end and decided that the JH stand was a better bet. I have been a season ticket holder in the same seat  in block C ever since.

4. There have been odd occasions when I have had complimentary seats in the Cottage Balcony and in the Riverside stand but did not find it so enjoyable as the Hammy End terracing.

5. Against Leeds on Wednesday however I missed out on my regular seat and was put in Block E , Row B, seat 15. It was almost on the half way line and right alongside the press box, a great viewpoint and plenty of atmosphere. I really enjoyed it.

Have you a favourite spot at the Cottage or do you regularly change your seat.

Lighthouse

Had a season ticket for years back in the day in Stevenage road stand now Johnny Haynes stand. Have stood in the long departed Enclosure on many occasions. Stood and then sat in the Hammersmith End. Have stood at the Putney End and sat in the Riverside stand.

But not for some time sadly. Still a great ground wherever you end up.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

SP

Like many, I've been all over the place. Whilst I think the view from the centre-mid of the old Riverside is the best view in the ground I have a couple of favourites from the Hammersmith End that are sadly no longer an option. Standing directly behind the goal with the little group of lads that congregated there. The other, and slightly odd by modern H&S standards was on the horizontal bar of the flood light stanchion.  Not that comfortable but a cracking view. Both so so many years ago.

Fulham 442

When I went with my Dad as a child we always stood in what is now the Johnny Haynes stand. Even when I went with my husband years later we always went there. He was always fascinated by the fact we all changed end as at half time! When I bought season tickets later I opted for the Hammy End.  Definitely the best place to be imo!

bobbo

As a kid on the metal bars about ten steps up behind the Hammersmith end goal, also far side of Hammersmith end half way up when standing.then on the river side half way into the Hammersmith end. Then sat in the riverside stand in W block till they chucked me out now in P block Putney end and I hate it can't wait to get back near the halfway line in the new stand.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

cookieg

Started off in the Putney End, moved to the Enclosure, had a couple of years in the Riverside and now the JH in the family section. Never really interested in the Hammy End odd game here and there but that's it.

love4ffc

I have sat in the Johnny Haynes DL & EL areas.  I did once sit with my son and his mates in the Hammersmith H1 hospitality area.  That was a nice treat  :wine: 

If I ever come back over, I wouldn't mind checking out the new Riverside stand.  But that will depend on pricing.   
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

ffcwickford

I had always stood to the right of the green pole in the Hammersmith End from 1977 until the move to Loftus Road and when we came back I have had a seat in H5 sightly to the right of the green pole.

Jim©

Started off in Hammersmith end when a young kid, crush barriers were handy to sit on. Then into enclosure for about 10 years from early 90s, with odd games in Hammersmith end. Off to Loftus Road to get my knees reshaped for 2 seasons then back to a seat in jh stand, firstly just behind press box (great view and often got replays of incidents) then j block.
Watched from every conceivable place at the ground, enclosure was my favourite, some of the witty abuse opposing players got was amusing.
Watched most europa games from Hammersmith end about 20 rows up behind goal. Became a superstition that we'd have to get the same seats to progress and it worked!

Fulham33

OK if we are starting a survey, I started right at the front slightly river side of the goal at the Putney End. Then as I grew I sat on the concrete support to the floodlight river side Putney end. Then I walked to behind the goal we were attacking. In the 70's at the Hammy End by the riverside floodlight. 80's and 90's largely sitting on the empty terracing at the Hammy End. When we were on the up in the JH/enclosure. Family section in early 2000's as had two sons. Cup games is reduced price top seats inc Riverside. Loftus Road wherever. On return largely behind goal Hammy end. This season first year season ticket with sons in H4. So basically everywhere but hospitality and Cottage Balcony but would willingly sit there if ever invited. (Will give new stand a whirl at earliest opportunity). At 66 done my apprenticeship standing and happy to remain vociferously seated until excitement gets the better of me. I guess that covers it.

F(f)CUK

When seating was introduced I got a season ticket at the location where I used to stand. This is about half way up in H6. I had quite a long period when I used to stand in the Enclosure where I used to transfer to the Hammersmith End at half-time. I did this until the club stopped this.

Andy S

I've stood and sat all over the ground. I used to stand at whatever end we were kicking and with many other people I used to do the walk at half time. The half way line on both sides of the ground. The Hammy End and the Putney End were good but I never really liked the Putney End

RaySmith

From the early 60's stood on the Riverside terracing, right on the half way line.

Then graduated to stand in The Enclosure.

Have since sat in every stand, except the Johnny Haynes.

The Riverside was definitely best,  down the front , near the half way line, when i got a cheap ticket for the semi-final v Derby.
It was like coming full circle.

Cambridge Pete

As with many others I have stood or sat in all four stands. In the early days when I lived in Putney and then Teddington I stood at the Putney end. Boatrace day would be in the Riverside early and watch them go by. When I moved to Brighton/Liverpool/Berlin/Steyning I would be in either the JH or Riverside. After moving to Cambridge I became a season ticket holder in the Hammy end firstly standing then seated. Since retirement have let the season ticket go and try to get to a few matches a season.

filham

Remember before the Riverside stand was built there used to be huge advertising boards by the river. These were often scaled by young men to gain good view points. Anyone know of a person prepared to admit to doing that.

Holders

Used to enter by Putney end, walk down the Thamesbank to the Hammersmith end, watch the game from there and often change ends at half time. Been in the enclosure for reserve games, the Stevenage Road seats just once and Riverside seats a couple of time. I can't see the attraction of sitting that side of the ground as it's in the shade and can get very cold.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

CorkCity

As a child a group of us always used to sit on the sloping wall between the Hammersmith & Stevenage Rd stands, right by the corner flag. As an adult had a ST for a few years in the Hammersmith End, used to sneak into the riverside which is the best view in the ground.
"don't dwell on reality ,it will only keep you from greatness"

Terry Towling

Been everywhere expect the hospitality  :wine:

Terry Towling

Quote from: CorkCity on September 24, 2021, 11:03:46 AM
As a child a group of us always used to sit on the sloping wall between the Hammersmith & Stevenage Rd stands, right by the corner flag. As an adult had a ST for a few years in the Hammersmith End, used to sneak into the riverside which is the best view in the ground.

But as quiet as a morgue  094.gif

filham

Quote from: Holders on September 24, 2021, 10:42:09 AM
Used to enter by Putney end, walk down the Thamesbank to the Hammersmith end, watch the game from there and often change ends at half time. Been in the enclosure for reserve games, the Stevenage Road seats just once and Riverside seats a couple of time. I can't see the attraction of sitting that side of the ground as it's in the shade and can get very cold.
In the JH stand you have to face a strong low sun shining in your eyes at times, I thought the new stand may block that but it doesn't. I think that perhaps the Hammy end is the place to be, I spent most of my years at the same spot in that area.