watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Latest table sans Pompey

Started by Logicalman, February 12, 2010, 01:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

If Pompey were to fail, and be removed from the Prem, then their records for this season must be expunged. That said, then all points and goal differences would also need to be so altered.

Below is what the table would currently look like. It's interesting that the worst off of all the teams would be the cheats.  I have reproduced the current standings, and below it, the adjusted standings.  

Current

PosTeamPld    GD    Pts
1Chelse.a263958
2Man Utd264157
3Arsenal263152
4Liverpool261644
5Man City241544
6Tottenham       261943
7Aston Villa251342
8Birmingham25-237
9Everton25-135
10Fulham26234
11Blackburn26-1731
12Stoke24-430
13Sunderland25-1026
14West Ham25-824
15Wolves25-2124
16Wigan24-2324
17Hull26-2624
18Burnley25-2523
19Bolton24-1722
20Portsmouth25-2216

Adjusted

PosTeamPld    GD    Pts
1Chelse.a253855
2Man Utd243351
3Arsenal242546
4Liverpool251844
5Tottenham       251840
6Man City221238
7Aston Villa23936
8Birmingham24-334
9Everton24-232
10Fulham24028
11Blackburn25-1928
12Stoke22-127
13Sunderland23-1024
14Wigan23-1924
15Wolves24-2024
16Burnley24-2323
17Hull25-2623
18West Ham23-1020
19Bolton23-1819

The Rock

Really!? What if 3 players got injured for 3 months playing against Pompey - what about the games after that?

There's no way they would allow this to happen as it's all fixed. They'd be forecrd into administration first.

RidgeRider

wow, 5 points off the drop versus 11. They better stay in business. This can't be allowed to happen!

finnster01

Quote from: The Rock on February 12, 2010, 04:07:36 PM
Really!? What if 3 players got injured for 3 months playing against Pompey - what about the games after that?

There's no way they would allow this to happen as it's all fixed. They'd be forecrd into administration first.

That was exactly my point Mr Rock in a different thread. It will not be allowed to happen. The league will step in. Administration, sure, they will do but never let them go outright bust and fold as it will compromise the integrity of the competition which they can not afford if they are just about to iron out the fine print on the 1 billion pounds new media deal. They'll lend Pompey all the money they need to stay alive.

Now post season, it is game on and up for grabs but Pompey will then be a Championship side.

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Jimpav

Relegation can't be to bad for a debt laden side like Pompey.

£20 milllion parachute payment for two years would certainly go a long way to helping with debts.

Would be sad to get them stung with a ten point penalty though because they are only a couple of wins from safety.

The FA need to accept some of the responsibility as they are the ones that supposedly vet new owners in terms of being "fit and proper".

This mess could have been avoided if they hadn't let the only poor sheikh buy the club.

Logicalman

Mr Finn,

You are perfectly correct, that they cannot allow it to happen, though I would suspect it would be more to save their own faces (and jobs) than anything else. The FA and PL are a complete joke, we can't even consider them an 'old boys club' either, as they have little or no integrity left, to boot.

I put this thread up simple as an exercise to see what the overall effect would have been (apart from it being a Friday and I was a little bored). I couldn't find the other thread, as I was going to post on there instead. I just found it quite interesting as to how someone like the cheats would be so adversely affected, as would the ManUre as well. Given the latter, I have very little doubt, that should the Title be more inclined towards the blue scum should Pompey go, then Old Sir Red Nose himself might just chip in a couple of million to keep Pompey going till the end of the season.

finnster01

Agree with all of that Mr Logic.

I also find it interesting that Arsenal would take a big hit and Liverpool wouldn't. I'm sure Mr Whinger would have his cry over that as well.

Logicalman

Quote from: finnster01 on February 12, 2010, 05:19:16 PM
Agree with all of that Mr Logic.

I also find it interesting that Arsenal would take a big hit and Liverpool wouldn't. I'm sure Mr Whinger would have his cry over that as well.

Yeah, the Arse got 2 x 4-1 wins over Pompey, so apart from the 6 points, it's also -6 from the GD as well, whereby the poo actually LOST 2-0, so their GD gets better, with no points change.

TonyGilroy

If the Court winds Portsmouth up that's it. Game over. Club dead. No more football. Nothing the FA or EPL can do about it.

The owners can avoid this by choosing to go into Administration and may very well do this. If they do though they, as well as other creditors, will lose money owed to them and for them, therefore, there's no benefit in Administration so it would almost be an altruistic act to save the club.

What they want is a buyer.

My guess is that we're watching brinkmanship and that if a quick sale doesn't happen before the next Court hearing they will be placed in Administration. Unless by then the owners simply don't give a damn.

clintclintdeuce

I dont understand how this works apparently. The debts that are talked about being owed to HMS are relatively small for top flight sporting league. They should be able to come up with 20-40 million quid quite quickly.
The Dude abides.

TonyGilroy

It seems that they can't raise the money though. The winding up petition is withdrawn when HMRC get their money unless another creditor steps in to take it over.

finnster01

Quote from: TonyGilroy on February 12, 2010, 07:18:30 PM

It seems that they can't raise the money though. The winding up petition is withdrawn when HMRC get their money unless another creditor steps in to take it over.
Or if the league gives them a loan to pay the tax man, which is exactly what I think will happen

TonyGilroy

That's an inteesting idea but it sets a hell of a precedent.

Personally I don't see that happening because the club has the ability to avoid liquidation by going into administration. If they don't it's a bit like suicide.

finnster01

What's a couple of million when you have a billion dollar deal on the line and any bad PR & potential lawsuits is not necessarily what you want? Just pay the the tax man for a bit, sign the new deal properly, and let the problem go away. The Prem League has a lot more to lose than Pompey.

Logicalman

The main problem Pompey has, as I see it, is the same one that the Cheats have, and that is such a poor business model, that unless there is a drastic change, the business side will continue to fail.

The winding up order from HMRC is just the final straw for most clubs (businesses) and is often only sought after prolonged bad management and apparent insolvency. The words of the Court registrar Christine Derrett, "I am very concerned about the financial status of this company, it seems to me there's a very real risk that this company is undoubtedly trading while it is insolvent. I'm obviously conscious that, by making a winding-up order, it would have very severe consequences not only for the company as a business but for the supporters themselves, but that's not a consideration that I strictly take into account." are very appropriate here to cut through the BS.

That, to me, provides an insight into her likely action at the next hearing date (now set for March 1st) and, more importantly, the truer state of the clubs finances and business model. The one question has to be asked, "Who, in their right mind, would want to buy this club? And that in itself brings into question who would be a fit and proper person in those circumstances?  It's unlikely a Branson or such-like will step in, only the playboys we have seen in the 4 owners, and would you consider them fit and proper?

RidgeRider

Dumb question from across the pond, but is 'Administration' the same as Bankruptcy?

os5889

STorie was saying pre match before Southampton that the discussions werent for a loan from the premier league but donations from the clubs in the league which have an incentive not to lose the points gained from Portsmouth should they be liquidated

finnster01

Quote from: RidgeRider on February 13, 2010, 02:43:41 PM
Dumb question from across the pond, but is 'Administration' the same as Bankruptcy?
Yes, it is in essence the same as Chapter 11. Keeps the creditors at bay, but you may come out still running the business or it may emerge with new owners buying at a discount

finnster01

Look at the league. They even have FIFA coming out now to help Pompey. Just as I predicted.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8522283.stm

jarv

West Ham fans won't like that! Funny, Fulham did the double but no movement. That's good news.