watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Diomansy Kamara is Celtic's Wayne Rooney

Started by White Noise, February 14, 2010, 01:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/celtic/157406-diomansy-kamara-is-celtics-wayne-rooney/

Diomansy Kamara is Celtic's Wayne Rooney

Tony Mowbray has compared his loan signing to the Manchester United star, praising him for his all-action performances.

14 February 2010 11:49 AM

Tony Mowbray has compared January loan signing Diomansy Kamara's style of play to that to Wayne Rooney's. The Celtic forward, who is on loan from Fulham, has impressed since his move, despite initial news of his transfer being eclipsed by that of fellow loan signing Robbie Keane.

Kamara netted his second Celtic goal in four matches as he opened the scoring in Saturday's 4-4 draw with Aberdeen. Mowbray though believes that, like the Manchester United star, the player's all-action performances will create even more chances for his team-mates, including Keane and other strikers Morten Rasmussen, Georgios Samaras and Marc-Antoine Fortune.

"In many ways Kamara reminds me of Rooney," said Mowbray. "He gives his all and would run 20 yards to get the ball for a quick free-kick.

"He will also chase back 70 yards to tackle an opponent and that's the kind of thing Rooney does."

The Celtic boss previously worked with Kamara at West Brom before the London club came calling for the Senegalese's services in 2007. They were then reunited on deadline day as the Cottagers allowed the 29-year-old to move north of the border on a temporary switch.

After falling down the pecking order at Craven Cottage under Roy Hodgson, Mowbray jumped at the chance to bring his former charge in to bolster his team's title hopes and said that his utility was a key factor in bringing him to Celtic.

"I had Kamara at West Brom and we sold him to Fulham for £6.5 million in 2007," Mowbray added. "He can cause damage on either flank and can also play in the middle."

The Paris-born forward, who has 43 caps for Senegal, moved to the UK in 2004 when Portsmouth bought him from Italian club Modena.

Mowbray then inherited the player when he became the Baggies' manager in 2006, inspiring him to be named in the PFA Championship team of the year in 2007 and voted the club's player of the year.

RidgeRider

Interesting comments. Maybe some of Roy's teachings have rubbed off on Kamara and he is now defending a bit to prove himself up there. Wish he would have done that for us.

Glad to hear he is well thought off as it means he will continue to play and we will either get a nice transfer fee in the summer or an in-form forward for our next campaign.

os5889

To me this could also be read as Kamara is Celtics Ricky Lambert, or Kamara is Celtics Michael Chopra. Both are equally important and comparable in my mind.

The comparison is lost when you play pub teams week in week out and get battered on your euro tour by all comers. Scottish football is (tragically) becoming as laughable as welsh and northern irish football. Rangers manager is working for free and they are currently running a buy 1 adult ticket (£15) and bring 4 kids free (http://www.rangers.co.uk/page/Welcome). To me this isnt inspiring confidence in the gates of half full stadia and Celtics army of loanees wont last forever.

The football is dire, they only play (or should play) 12 competitive league games in a year (4x auld firm, 4x hibs, 4x hearts) and then struggle against 3 men and their illegitimate children and bulgarian workers for the rest of the year

Rant over

RidgeRider

Hazey

haha...Tony Mowbray obviously got some crack and a pipe from his Mrs for Valentines day.
At clubs with bigger memberships, their supporters only touch their colours, but at FFC we have spirit. Fulham people can touch that spirit - they are the real Cottagers, they are the club

os5889

Quote from: RidgeRider on February 14, 2010, 02:13:47 PM
jeeze OS, how do you really feel?  ;)

I used to live in Stornoway (Isle of Lewis) and had to put up with people celebrating how great the football was for 2 years. It wasn't. I may now be bitter and twisted....

Hazey

I worked at the hospital there in Stornoway for a couple of months, must be about 5 years back now.  Interesting place for a couple of months, but no did you head a little stir crazy toward the end OS?

Quote from: os5889 on February 14, 2010, 02:21:58 PM

I used to live in Stornoway (Isle of Lewis) and had to put up with people celebrating how great the football was for 2 years. It wasn't. I may now be bitter and twisted....
At clubs with bigger memberships, their supporters only touch their colours, but at FFC we have spirit. Fulham people can touch that spirit - they are the real Cottagers, they are the club

os5889

Lived in a small village called Laxdale, dad was in charge of the coastguard station. I was scared of the local savages and a lack of trees by the end. Happily I manged to retreat to the much more gentile valleys of Wales and all was good

Hazey

OK this gets weirder, my GF is from Pontypridd and it's probable I will end there this time next year for a bit before stealing her away to Oz.

Maybe we need to start a Welsh FFC drinking, oops I mean supporters club.

Quote from: os5889 on February 14, 2010, 02:29:05 PM
Lived in a small village called Laxdale, dad was in charge of the coastguard station. I was scared of the local savages and a lack of trees by the end. Happily I manged to retreat to the much more gentile valleys of Wales and all was good

finnster01

Quote from: os5889 on February 14, 2010, 02:21:58 PM

I can relate to that Mr os5889. I lived 4 years in Glasgow and watching Celtic and Rangers beat up on giants like Kilmarnock and Dunfirmline every year did make you bitter and twisted. The Old Firm on the other hand was as good a day out as you can get anywhere
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

RidgeRider

I should probably start a new thread but why do they call it "The Old Firm" and what does that really mean? I've heard that name used in posts and articles and never quite knew what it all meant other than it had to do with Celtic & Rangers, or so I thought, and never important enough to ask, but now I must.  :)

cebu

Quote from: RidgeRider on February 14, 2010, 02:40:12 PM
I should probably start a new thread but why do they call it "The Old Firm" and what does that really mean? I've heard that name used in posts and articles and never quite knew what it all meant other than it had to do with Celtic & Rangers, or so I thought, and never important enough to ask, but now I must.  :)

Yes "Old Firm" means Rangers and Celtic.

os5889

I once went to Rangers Celtic and it was as good as Wales France Grand Slam atmosphere for me, top game, if ever you find yourself in the area dont hesitate to tout a ticket

os5889

Quote from: cebu on February 14, 2010, 02:43:23 PM
Quote from: RidgeRider on February 14, 2010, 02:40:12 PM

Yes "Old Firm" means Rangers and Celtic.

The short answer is noone knows....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Firm

Tonywa

Kamara is closer to Mickey Rooney than Wayne ;-)

HatterDon

Quote from: os5889 on February 14, 2010, 02:03:57 PM
To me this could also be read as Kamara is Celtics Ricky Lambert, or Kamara is Celtics Michael Chopra. Both are equally important and comparable in my mind.

The comparison is lost when you play pub teams week in week out and get battered on your euro tour by all comers. Scottish football is (tragically) becoming as laughable as welsh and northern irish football. Rangers manager is working for free and they are currently running a buy 1 adult ticket (£15) and bring 4 kids free (http://www.rangers.co.uk/page/Welcome). To me this isnt inspiring confidence in the gates of half full stadia and Celtics army of loanees wont last forever.

The football is dire, they only play (or should play) 12 competitive league games in a year (4x auld firm, 4x hibs, 4x hearts) and then struggle against 3 men and their illegitimate children and bulgarian workers for the rest of the year

Rant over

Absolutely spot on analysis. Well said, sir.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel