watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Race Report #6

Started by RidgeRider, February 16, 2010, 03:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RidgeRider

Well today I drove down to Dinuba, California for a criterium in the Masters 35+ Cat 4&5 race. I was out of bed @4AM and arrived in downtown Dinuba at 8AM. It was a foggy ride and a little nervy in spots as the fog got really thick in places. Dinuba is a small town about 30 minutes southeast of Fresno, CA which is about in the very middle of the state.

Did some hard training rides over the weekend so my legs weren't fresh but it was a flat course with 5-90 degree right hand turns and 1 left hand 90 degree turn. The course worked through the streets of downtown, such as it is, and was .7 miles long. We did 26 laps today with 46 riders according to the registration.

Saw 2 guys from the Early Bird races I did in January that were in the 45+ age group and there were a couple of others guys who seemed to fit that age category as well, and the rest were in that 35-45 range. I thought this would be good race to get another point towards upgrading to CAT 4 and to see how I would do against CAT4 riders from the next age level down.

Well, right away, my race was lost.....well sort of. I could not clip-in!!!!!!   :-[ .....this has happened in two races now on my left pedal, going into turn 1 and out of turn 1 I was dead last, trying to catch up to the peloton. I have usually done well when I get out front straight away but this clip-in issue has to stop!  >:(

I immediately thought, crap, I am going to have to work my way up as the pace was a bit brisk for the first few laps. After a a couple of more laps, nobody seemed to want to break, so I sat in the back and tried to stay out of trouble but was working a bit too hard back there and finally found a wheel to stay on as a couple of guys were a little erratic, so it took me few laps to find the right wheel to sit on.

Lap after lap went by with the group pretty much staying together, I remained in the back totally uninspired and not feeling any fight in me to make any moves. I kept thinking I will do something with 5-6 laps to go. I did finally move up into 6th spot for about 3/4 lap before everybody else had the same idea and I started to get pushed back as more riders darted in in front to grab those first 10 spots.

With about 3 laps to go, a crash happened right in front of me which caused me to have to move right coming out of a right hand turn and I managed to get around it and back into the peloton but dropped a few more spots in the process. With 2 laps to go, the pace really picked up and I was already too far back to attack to the front due to the fact the peloton was on rails.

I came out of the last corner near the back and managed to pass a few guys and hold off a couple of others for a disappointing 28th place. A different day, and a totally different level of focus. I guess thats racing.

Lack of killer instinct and little desire to fight for position was evident today. The wreck didn't help but one of the things I am learning is being assertive in a race is important and I will need to manufacture that feeling, if i don't wake up with it, in my upcoming races to ensure better results and consistent forward positioning.

The good news is I walked away from another race with no injuries. I picked up yet another point towards my upgrade, 2 more to go, I was able to confirm I can run with the younger lads, and those that have more experience than I do, and that I need to do a better job of getting myself 'pysch'd up' before the race.

Next race is this Sunday in Brisbane, CA which is just south of San Francisco. I hear it is a tricky little course and full of craziness so wish me luck!

Jimpav

Another enjoyable read, thank you.

Good luck for Sunday!

TheDaddy

Just read this next time and keep it in your head during the race.

Be assertive in the race , It will  ensure better results and consistent forward positioning.

Good luck for Sunday RR
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

finnster01

Mr RR,

Next time things are looking grim and you are feeling crap, think about The Great Escape and as my long gone father used to say to me as a child "If you don't try son, it will never happen".

And fix that bloody left pedal.

Best of luck mate!

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

RidgeRider

Thanks guys! I have better results in me so they will come. I had a tough week with some personal stuff that has my mind a bit in the wind, so I am sure that had something to do with it. No excuses Sunday!

I will remember that line TheDaddy and I have decided to put Foo Fighters on my iPod for my warmup as it gets me fired up, especially that song they had on the offal when they did the McBride tribute video.

I'll post the Brisbane Crit report on Sunday afternoon (my time of course).