watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The end of cup replays

Started by Grassy Noel, April 18, 2024, 03:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cambridge Away

Quote from: Fulham1959 on April 18, 2024, 05:31:56 PMAn absolute disgrace.  It doesn't get better than a replay under floodlights, especially big team v. little team.  Having drawn the first match, both teams believe they can win.

In winning the FA Cup in 1959, Nottm. Forest went to a 4th replay (5th meeting) in an earlier round.  That is of course taking it too far but I feel a big part of what made the FA Cup special will have been lost under this new rule.
How would that even work; What if they kept drawing? Would they end up doing a replay between the two teams every couple of days to make sure there was a result before the next round started? Or would the team in the next round have to just keep waiting?

St Eve

Quote from: Cambridge Away on April 18, 2024, 11:26:14 PM
Quote from: Fulham1959 on April 18, 2024, 05:31:56 PMAn absolute disgrace.  It doesn't get better than a replay under floodlights, especially big team v. little team.  Having drawn the first match, both teams believe they can win.

In winning the FA Cup in 1959, Nottm. Forest went to a 4th replay (5th meeting) in an earlier round.  That is of course taking it too far but I feel a big part of what made the FA Cup special will have been lost under this new rule.
How would that even work; What if they kept drawing? Would they end up doing a replay between the two teams every couple of days to make sure there was a result before the next round started? Or would the team in the next round have to just keep waiting?
Exactly that. It worked for the last 150 years just fine

Somerset Fulham

Hmmm.

It seems that the clubs and supporters are totally united in opposition to this move and as many of you are.

If that's the case then I will happily change my stance too. Not that it makes any difference, but solidarity, right?

bog

I think the decision by the FA stinks and stinks of the corporates pushing and pulling to get their way. They are not interested in the lower leagues one tiny jot.

As for the FA, a while back, when Bury were floundering before folding, the main man at the FA at time, whose name escapes me, said he didn't even know they were struggling.  ::angry::   

The Enclosurite

The next time the big 6 propose a breakaway I don't think there will be as much objection as last time.

Bye!  👋
¡COYW!

Thailand Mick

Not only do the fans suffer what about the players especially non-league players who dreamt of playing at places like Old Trafford their club gets drawn at home and manage to draw the game and don't get the opportunity to play there. There are many fans of all clubs on twitter encouraging the clubs to boycott the Fa cup.   

filham

I thnk our 12matches to reach the final in 1975 is a record, it is unlikely to be broken now.

Colton F.C.

The controversy seems to be gathering up a storm!

It appears that the FA have taken the decision after only conferring with the Premier League leaving the EFL and all other interested parties in the dark.  The fact that replays are to be stopped for the first and second rounds are of little interest to the Premier League, makes the pronouncement bizarre.

The FA have a long history of getting things wrong and resignations may be in order (sadly without consultation with Faria Alam).

Roll on the Official Regulator and allow the politicians to put some competence into the beautiful game.  ::cry::  ::cry::  ::cry::

alfie

I'm in 2 minds about this.

In the event of a draw then extra time, then penalties, a lot of the lesser teams might stand a better chance of progressing with a shootout, rather than a replay.

Also we are complaining about the cost of going to football, ticket prices, food/drink, fares, but would be happy to pay out more for another game.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Yorkie_FFC

I wonder if they consulted Emirates at all in the discussions to potentially reduce the number of games that they are title sponsor for and if they did it would be interesting to see if they had any opinion on it or just went with the status quo. I can on one hand see why they have, the fixtures need reducing and with the FA Cup break weekend in January for the 4th round and if you are looking behind your shoulders at potential for relegation, I could see the appeal to putting out a weakened side knowing there will only be one fixture and have a break to regroup.