News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Anyone lived in the channel islands or Gibraltar?

Started by Sammyffc, April 26, 2024, 01:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sammyffc

Looking to move somewhere and had my eyes on Guernsey or Gibraltar. Just wondering if anyone has spent time in either place and what there thoughts are?  ::wine::

alfie

Quote from: Sammyffc on April 26, 2024, 01:15:54 PMLooking to move somewhere and had my eyes on Guernsey or Gibraltar. Just wondering if anyone has spent time in either place and what there thoughts are?  ::wine::
Blingo lives in Gib.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

HV71

Quote from: alfie on April 26, 2024, 01:26:41 PM
Quote from: Sammyffc on April 26, 2024, 01:15:54 PMLooking to move somewhere and had my eyes on Guernsey or Gibraltar. Just wondering if anyone has spent time in either place and what there thoughts are?  ::wine::
Blingo lives in Gib.

Presumably between a rock and a hard place ....

john dempsey

Jock White

As a former member of the RN a friend and I revisited Gib last year.
Huge amount of development ongoing and we were surprised at the price of property there with quite a few folk seemingly living in Spain and crossing the border to work.
Had a nice long  ::wine:: weekend though.

sarnian

Born and bred in Guernsey and lived here all my life. Supported Fulham since early 50's and wife and I have been season ticket holders for last 20 odd years since the return to the Cottage.

Beats Jersey hands down.

filham

Met my wife in Jersey honeymoon was 2 weeks in Guernsey have spent many holidays there since, a magnificent island but become familiar with different rules for locally born people and incomers, particularly regarding house prices and jobs.

blingo

I spread my time between gib and spain. I love gib but it can get claustrophobic at times. The Spanish are making life difficult at the border stamping people in and out. It will get better when they respective governments sort themselves out. As for property prices...much the same as London.

Kemosabe

Key issue with moving to the Channel Islands is that there is a two-tier property market.  Some properties can be sold to anybody; others (the one that are affordable) can only be sold to people from the island or who otherwise qualify for the local market (e.g. teachers recruited for the local schools etc.).  Open market property is very pricey, I understand.

mrmicawbers

Quote from: Jock White on April 26, 2024, 04:29:50 PMAs a former member of the RN a friend and I revisited Gib last year.
Huge amount of development ongoing and we were surprised at the price of property there with quite a few folk seemingly living in Spain and crossing the border to work.
Had a nice long  ::wine:: weekend though.
My pal has just bought a place by the airport reclaimed from the sea.Not cheap though.

blingo

Gib is not cheap at all, however, as a resident gibbo there's no capital gains or inheritance tax. No VAT. It really depends on whether you are looking to move permenantly or for a year or two

Rentals go from roughly £1k for a studio up to £5 or £6k per month for a house.