watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Large Crowds

Started by Peabody, February 16, 2010, 07:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

There is some debate taking place on TIFF of when we used to have large crowds, we would quite regularly have gates of 40,000 plus back in the sixties and fifties. Our record largest gate was in excess of 49,000 against Millwall in the late thirties. To get back to the debate, as to whether we could ever have large gates again, of course thos crowds were, in the main, standing and therefore, with the present situation of all-seater stadiums, it is very unlikely. Even if we were to fill in the corners, we would still be unable to reach 40,000 and whilst that might well improve acoustics, it would undoubtably ruin the playing surface. So, as nostalgic as it was, our days of really large attendances at The Cottage, are in my opinion, firmly in the past.

White Noise

For those who are interested here are our average attendances since the war (click on 'Fulham')

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/england.htm

TonyGilroy

The 40K crowds were very rare.

Soon after the ManU game we played Chelsea and the gates were shut with about 33K inside.

Our typical crowd in the 60s was around 20K but occasionally when Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs or ManU came we'd get far more. Even at our peak in the Haynes days I doubt we had much more than 15K diehards who went to every home game.

Much the same today.

TheDaddy

I have to agree with Peabody i cant see us having bigger crowds than the 50s ,60s Even if we no i cant say it wont say it "Ok Ok "Flack jacket secured and in place Move ! :-X

Nice stat WhiteNoise, upwardly mobile on attendances.  :)
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

ImperialWhite

Supposing we get to Wembley, how many do you think we would get then?

White Noise

Here's the pic that Peabody refers to (some other nice ones available there too) -

http://www.mirrorprintstore.co.uk/pictures_65590/fulham-v-manchester-united-fc.html

jarv

I recall a game, playing manu (best, law, charlton) around 1963 to 65 and the gate was over 40k. I could be wrong. Anyone else know what the gate was. I think it was an easter game.

Peabody

Quote from: TonyGilroy on February 16, 2010, 07:26:59 PM
The 40K crowds were very rare.

Soon after the ManU game we played the dark side and the gates were shut with about 33K inside.

Our typical crowd in the 60s was around 20K but occasionally when the dark side, Arsenal, Spurs or ManU came we'd get far more. Even at our peak in the Haynes days I doubt we had much more than 15K diehards who went to every home game.

Much the same today.

That maybe so Tony but we did get large attendances, quite often in excess of 35,000 to 40,000, something that we will never see again.

LBNo11

Quote from: jarv on February 16, 2010, 07:54:26 PM
I recall a game, playing manu (best, law, charlton) around 1963 to 65 and the gate was over 40k. I could be wrong. Anyone else know what the gate was. I think it was an easter game.

...Jarv, see my first game:-

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=790.45
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

jarv

47,000 + wow, I thought it was a bit crowded on the day. I recall, I think, Tony Macedo making a very unorthadox save in a one v one with George best. He came off his line, went to ground and rolled so the ball hit his back. It was wierd but it worked.

finnster01

Obviously due to all seating and safety the Cottage will never reach those numbers again.

However, don't forget that the new Olympic Stadium needs a permanent resident after the Olympics in 2012...Hopefully that will be West Ham, but this is not the first time we have switched grounds...I am a bit worried about that to be honest
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Jimpav

Quote from: ImperialWhite on February 16, 2010, 07:32:25 PM
Supposing we get to Wembley, how many do you think we would get then?

I think we would be able to sell over 10,000 for Wembley. Big occasions always bring more fans from the woodwork.

Numbers would also be boosted by ST holders taking friends and family.

ImperialWhite

Over 10'000 for a match at Wembley? I should hope so!

Wouldn't it be amazing if we sold our allocation? Should it happen (and I'm counting no chickens here) I hope we get a decent attendance. Went to the Cambridge v Exeter Conference, and Exeter sold so few tickets that their fans were split into three (i.e. behind goal and on each side), looked terrible. Still very noisy to be fair though.

Jimpav

We could probably sell our allocation one way or another. Any idea how many ST holders the club has?

mrska

Since we got into the premiership  our average has gone from about 19.500 to about 24,000 with a few tasty sell outs ...

I reckon with development...  we could push near 30,000 in the future..

Thats one of the  things Fulham do well..  get into the community  and encourage kids to come to games  ......

I think weve got a hard core 19,000 that will go to all games

a further 2,000 who do the occasional

and 2,000 - 4,000 away fans usually...

Its good and getting better...

mrska

Quote from: Jimpav on February 16, 2010, 10:41:03 PM
We could probably sell our allocation one way or another. Any idea how many ST holders the club has?

We would take about 22,000 to wembley  maybe 25,000