News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bobby Zamora is a better striker than Brian McBride ever was...

Started by mattiesafer, February 17, 2010, 04:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crita

McBride without a doubt.

Not just because he is a better finisher than Zamora, but also his work ethic, attitude and leadership sets him in a class apart.

But as someone mentioned earlier, that just shows how good McBride was, because Zamora is a very good player in his own right.

TheDaddy

Brian McBride 110% given on and off the pitch.

Cant see Zamora sitting in the Hammersmith end whilst injured signing autographers and chatting to the fans during a match more like at home with hes feet up watch his mini cinema screen.Sorry guys but Zamora has no class.
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

BarneyTravers

Never saw Brian at his best...shame that his early years were not shared by more.

Zamora has been a monster player this season for us and his goals in Basle provoked me into celebrating so bad I nearly knocked my pal over the upper tier to his death...funny now but not then.

But Brian shook my hand at Fratton Park in May 2008...I waited a long time to shake it as there was quite a queue...but then again he was then and is still now quite a bloke.

Brian for me.

Fulham for the cups.

KCat

You cannot compare   

Brian played 153 games 
Bobby played 56  games 

Brian was a replacement for  Saha 
Bobby was recruited to be AJ bitch

Brian, a nice little catholic boy from a good part of town
Bobby dragged up in Barking, Wanstead Flats was his playground and his BF was/is JT

Brian had a fragrant wife and three beautiful children
Bobby had Nichola T .......the page three girl.

Comparisons are odious, Bobby can never be the man Brian is but as for the football,
ask again when Bobby has played 153 games for us.

Lighthouse

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

mattiesafer

Quote from: KCat on February 18, 2010, 12:27:26 AM
You cannot compare   

Brian played 153 games 
Bobby played 56  games 

Brian was a replacement for  Saha 
Bobby was recruited to be AJ bitch

Brian, a nice little catholic boy from a good part of town
Bobby dragged up in Barking, Wanstead Flats was his playground and his BF was/is JT

Brian had a fragrant wife and three beautiful children
Bobby had Nichola T .......the page three girl.

Comparisons are odious, Bobby can never be the man Brian is but as for the football,
ask again when Bobby has played 153 games for us.

Yeah, but the question wasn't really meant to be "who is more of a Fulham legend."  More like "Which striker would you rather have in the team right now?"

But I see your point.

Still, where I come from the fact that one player is from a rich suburb and one ain't wouldn't be held against the one who ain't.  But maybe that's an English thing?  You guys invented the class system, right?  ;D ::)

finnster01

Mr Matt,

We didn't invent the class system, and Bobby Zamora and class does not belong in the same sentence.

And if you are bent out of shape over class, come visit New York City and you will find a place where nobody gives a crap about which suburb you came from or what you did in the past. The only thing they care about is what you DO, and that my friend is entirely up to you.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

TonyGilroy

I'd pick McBride over Elm so the two could play together.

If I had to choose though I have to say that the Zamora we're seeing now, I think, is a better player than McBride. We remember great goals from McBride but the truth is that actually he wasn't a prolific scorer - certainly not for us.

Now as a role model or ambassador McBride had no betters but that shouldn't get you picked.

finnster01

Quote from: TonyGilroy on February 18, 2010, 02:27:54 PM
I'd pick McBride over Elm so the two could play together.

If I had to choose though I have to say that the Zamora we're seeing now, I think, is a better player than McBride. We remember great goals from McBride but the truth is that actually he wasn't a prolific scorer - certainly not for us.

Now as a role model or ambassador McBride had no betters but that shouldn't get you picked.
And Mr Tony, are you now calling Bobby Zamaora a prolific scorer?

The Equalizer

I'd pick Zamora over McBride. I've seen so many singing his praises, but I thought he was an average striker at best who got to the hearts of the players because he was our only decent striker in a troubled period of our history.

Zamora is a better striker, and I'd probably rate Frank Large over him too... ;)
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

finnster01

Zamora and striker in the same sentence?
I'm getting my banjo out as well

mattiesafer

Quote from: finnster01 on February 18, 2010, 02:26:53 PM
Mr Matt,

We didn't invent the class system, and Bobby Zamora and class does not belong in the same sentence.

And if you are bent out of shape over class, come visit New York City and you will find a place where nobody gives a crap about which suburb you came from or what you did in the past. The only thing they care about is what you DO, and that my friend is entirely up to you.

Visit?  I'm already here!   ;D

mattiesafer

Quote from: The Equalizer on February 18, 2010, 02:46:50 PM
I'd pick Zamora over McBride. I've seen so many singing his praises, but I thought he was an average striker at best who got to the hearts of the players because he was our only decent striker in a troubled period of our history.

Zamora is a better striker, and I'd probably rate Frank Large over him too... ;)

Yeah, that's about my recollection too.  No disrespect intended, though!

finnster01

And he didn't go about shsssssing the Hammersmith End did he? And he didn't just have half a season of decent play either. BZ has a lot to prove before I even would consider or rate him.

The Equalizer

Facts:

Brian McBride - Appearances (in all comps) 153 - Goals - 40
Bobby Zamora - Appearances (in all comps) 66 - Goals - 17

I reckon BZ is on par at least according to those facts, and with a long way to go.

Stats provided from Soccerbase.com
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

finnster01

And can you ever imagine Bobby Zamora captain Fulham?

Not even if we played San Marino Select XI for charity

Jimpav

Great thread Mattiesafer - controversial but enjoyable!

McBride was an all action, goal hungry striker. He was a fearless war horse, who went to battle with God on his side. If a ball was lashed into the opposition penalty area you would bet your savings that McBride would be diving in head first in an attempt to latch onto it. He was also a proven finisher who would more often than not take his chances and take them well. Above all though he showed enthusiasm, dedication and passion. Every time he stepped on the pitch he gave 110%

But...as you pointed out this may make him a legend but does it make him the better striker? Which brings me to Bobby.

BZ is easily our most improved player this season. Since AJ has been out injured BZ has blossomed, winning over his critics (myself included) with outstanding performances. How he didn't win player of the month in December I do not know. He is more confident in front of goal and his awareness of those around him is ingenious at times. I genuinely believe he can get 20 goals this season (in all competitions).

Echoing some of the points made earlier I add that it would have been brilliant to see McBride serve his 4 years with us under Woy. Cookie could pick a team but I don't think he had the knowledge and experience to truly bring out the best in his players. Similarly I'm not sure how effective BZ would have been in a Coleman squad.

On this basis I'm going to say BM was the better striker but if BZ is still with us in 2-3 years time then I may change my mind.

mattiesafer

Quote from: Jimpav on February 18, 2010, 04:03:12 PM
Great thread Mattiesafer - controversial but enjoyable!

McBride was an all action, goal hungry striker. He was a fearless war horse, who went to battle with God on his side. If a ball was lashed into the opposition penalty area you would bet your savings that McBride would be diving in head first in an attempt to latch onto it. He was also a proven finisher who would more often than not take his chances and take them well. Above all though he showed enthusiasm, dedication and passion. Every time he stepped on the pitch he gave 110%

But...as you pointed out this may make him a legend but does it make him the better striker? Which brings me to Bobby.

BZ is easily our most improved player this season. Since AJ has been out injured BZ has blossomed, winning over his critics (myself included) with outstanding performances. How he didn't win player of the month in December I do not know. He is more confident in front of goal and his awareness of those around him is ingenious at times. I genuinely believe he can get 20 goals this season (in all competitions).

Echoing some of the points made earlier I add that it would have been brilliant to see McBride serve his 4 years with us under Woy. Cookie could pick a team but I don't think he had the knowledge and experience to truly bring out the best in his players. Similarly I'm not sure how effective BZ would have been in a Coleman squad.

On this basis I'm going to say BM was the better striker but if BZ is still with us in 2-3 years time then I may change my mind.

Good points.  I think McBride represents an era of US Football/(Soccer?) where the success of the players/team was based more on great overall conditioning, athletic ability and heart rather than necessarily great football/(soccer?) skills. 

With a great coach like Woy/Roy/(Mr. Hodgson?) though some of those things probably could have improved quite a bit in McBride the same way they have improved in Mr. Zamora!

Oakeshott

Much as I admired BM, I doubt he'd have scored the goal Bobby did this evening. There again, he'd probably have scored the header Bobby put wide. With both in the team, at their best, and we'd have an attack most of the Premiership would envy.

FatFreddysCat

Hate to say it because Mc God was quality and a true Gent. BZ couldn't lace McBrides boots as a person, but at the moment he is above what McBride was as a player. 1 season only though mr SSSSSHHH, do it 3/4 seasons and we will sshh.