watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Newcastle flop in Champs' League good news for Fulham

Started by Nick Bateman, December 14, 2023, 02:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Bateman

Whether or not you wanted Newcastle, a British team, to beat the foreign opposition, Milan, which is an understandable national disposition, the result I would say was good news for our upcoming away fixture against the Geordies.

Having watched many British teams I liked in Europe, I have felt huge disappointment when that team went out of the competition, and I know the passion of Newcastle will cause the same feeling for them.

The players must be shattered, having started the tournament so well with unlimited billions behind them they must have felt this is the moment to state their credentials and become a powerhouse in European football. But to finish bottom of the group, no Europa League consolation, must be gut-wrenching.

But one must be selfish when it comes to Fulham whom I want to win more than any other team and if Newcastle's demise is good for Fulham at this moment in time, then so be it.

I know some will say, it might make tham more determined to return to winning ways after such a defeat. This is not any ordinary defeat and a win over Fulham, whom they have not particular contention with, will not be good enough motivation.

There is another factor in play; Fulham are better than Newcastle in a fair contest. Silva has finally got the right personnel and system working by including Tom Cairney in the build while there is already talk of Eddie Howe's position in charge of a mega-rich club.

Howe has kept faith with many players who played under Steve Bruce and that may be detrimental to their progress as a so-called big team.

Fulham have also had fair refereeing in the last two matches and one hopes similar in the raucous St.James' Park cauldron.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

perry geyton

They have a great manager but IMO they have over achieved and it's gone right to those Geordie Maggots heads, what I wouldn't give to see Fulham humble them at theirs this coming Saturday

Can we beat them ? Yes we can

Deeping_white

They have a lot of injuries for this weekend, and those that are fit are knackered from playing 2 games a week for a few months now. This is a good chance to avenge the last minute loss there from last season, and realistically one of the best chances we'll have in a while to win 3 in a row in the PL. We need to play with high intensity and make the extra 2 days rest count from the first minute and there's a really good chance we beat them if we carry on our good run of form.

Wingnut

Great chance for us to get something up there. They looked out on their feet for the last 20 minutes of the game last night. Their XI is going to be pretty similar to last night given the number of players they have out injured.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

WindyCity

I think sometimes fans read way too much into these sorts of things.  Regardless of NEW injuries or their European flop, they will be tough competition at home.  They are still a good team, and you see it happen all the time, where a team is having a bad run, but eventually bounce back.  All I'm saying is that FFC had better come prepared and focused for a tough match.  Yes, I think FFC can get a result this Sat, but will need to be at the top of their game.  COYW!

RaySmith

With their fanatical fans  behind them, I think they will undoubtedly be tough opposition, but their players will have a lot of pressure on them too to get a result.

Great if we can get another early lead - should be some game, anyway, love to be there.

filham

My best ever match was way back when they knocked us out of the FA Cup in although we went into the lead with a Tosh hat trick.
Ever since then I have made a special note of our Newcastle fixtures and treated them with great respect . To go to St.James's Park and avoid defeat is not easy and in spite of our two recent 5-0 wins I am not going to be caught counting chickens this week end.

btffc

demeant0r

Quote from: WindyCity on December 14, 2023, 04:02:36 PMI think sometimes fans read way too much into these sorts of things.  Regardless of NEW injuries or their European flop, they will be tough competition at home.  They are still a good team, and you see it happen all the time, where a team is having a bad run, but eventually bounce back.  All I'm saying is that FFC had better come prepared and focused for a tough match.  Yes, I think FFC can get a result this Sat, but will need to be at the top of their game.  COYW!

I agree. The team will be thinking Newcastle will still be a tough match. The fans however, can dream.

RAY Rock ????

We have our own injuries. I wish Traoré was fit he would cause havoc

Benny

This is exactly the game where we think we might have a change then get bashed 5-0.....

Regardless of our recent results and Newcastles injuries they will still be very strong

I noticed Burn was back from injury last night plus Wilson always does well against us, Isak and Joelinton both class also

We'd be lucky to get a draw IMO

Jem

"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Nick Bateman on December 14, 2023, 02:08:55 PMWhether or not you wanted Newcastle, a British team, to beat the foreign opposition, Milan, which is an understandable national disposition, the result I would say was good news for our upcoming away fixture against the Geordies.

Having watched many British teams I liked in Europe, I have felt huge disappointment when that team went out of the competition, and I know the passion of Newcastle will cause the same feeling for them.

The players must be shattered, having started the tournament so well with unlimited billions behind them they must have felt this is the moment to state their credentials and become a powerhouse in European football. But to finish bottom of the group, no Europa League consolation, must be gut-wrenching.

But one must be selfish when it comes to Fulham whom I want to win more than any other team and if Newcastle's demise is good for Fulham at this moment in time, then so be it.

I know some will say, it might make tham more determined to return to winning ways after such a defeat. This is not any ordinary defeat and a win over Fulham, whom they have not particular contention with, will not be good enough motivation.

There is another factor in play; Fulham are better than Newcastle in a fair contest. Silva has finally got the right personnel and system working by including Tom Cairney in the build while there is already talk of Eddie Howe's position in charge of a mega-rich club.

Howe has kept faith with many players who played under Steve Bruce and that may be detrimental to their progress as a so-called big team.

Fulham have also had fair refereeing in the last two matches and one hopes similar in the raucous St.James' Park cauldron.

For a start Newcastle are an English club, and for a finish,
because of their defeat last night at home which resulted in their exit from that Cup.
 Newcastle will be even tougher to beat because they will use last night's failure as a strength to beat Fulham especially on their own patch in front of their own fans.

They including Eddie Howe won't want to fail again within 3 days in front of their own supporters.

Furthermore Fulham can still be capable of beating Newcastle but it will now be even more difficult.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

hovewhite

To many of us think about there talent,me I think about how well we are playing ,tight and mobile from the back great down the flanks,inventive midfield with TC conducting the orchestra with Raul up front.
Also get the 1st goal then happy days.
I Know far to positive for most on here!

Whitesideup

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 14, 2023, 08:32:23 PM
Quote from: Nick Bateman on December 14, 2023, 02:08:55 PMWhether or not you wanted Newcastle, a British team, to beat the foreign opposition, Milan, which is an understandable national disposition, the result I would say was good news for our upcoming away fixture against the Geordies.

because of their defeat last night at home which resulted in their exit from that Cup.
 Newcastle will be even tougher to beat because they will use last night's failure as a strength to beat Fulham especially on their own patch in front of their own fans.

They including Eddie Howe won't want to fail again within 3 days in front of their own supporters.

Furthermore Fulham can still be capable of beating Newcastle but it will now be even more difficult.

Woolly - spot on. Now they have only domestic competitions, they will be very focussed. And after a disappointment, what do you really want? Success. So make no mistake, this is a toughie.

Nick Bateman

They will be hurting and determined to end this recent run of bad results and no-one is saying it will not be tough, but the converse is a euphoric Newcastle fresh after securing Champions League football being energized believing their home ground is a fortress.

Milan proved it isn't, Tottenham thrashed them, and I wouldn't have a single Newcastle player than any in Fulham's first 11. By those reasons we should be confident of getting a good result but football does not always work that way.

Silva must not change a 5-0 winning team.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Cobh Fulham Fan

The glass half full's has focused on a demoralised Newcastle having been knocked out of Europe, being ripe for the taken, while the glass half empties, use that same defeat as a reason for Newcastle coming back stronger on Saturday.

meanwhile, no one is focussing on the form of either team (Europe or no Europe). so lets just pretend for the moment that Newcastle had not been knocked out of Europe, in fact lets pretend they were never in Europe to begin with.  who are the better side - they or us?  who has had the netter form of late?

we have scored 19 goals in four straight games - have they matched that?
we have scored 3 away in Anfield. is there any good reason why we cant do the same at St James Park?

My glass is neither half empty not half full, but overflowing with optimism. the worse I can see us coming away with tomorrow is a draw, unless of course some crazy refereeing and VAR decisions go against us.

Bassey the warrior

They have a noisy bunch there, keeping them quiet by scoring first is key. If we score first we could win but if they score first they probably will.

LittleErn

Quote from: Whitesideup on December 14, 2023, 10:19:53 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 14, 2023, 08:32:23 PM

Woolly - spot on. Now they have only domestic competitions, they will be very focussed. And after a disappointment, what do you really want? Success. So make no mistake, this is a toughie.

Here here Woolly. It's not negative, just realistic. They will be tired but as professionals their pride will motivate them. If we can ride out the first half-hour we are good enough to win.

bill taylors apprentice

Like many long serving supporters, I just know a bump in the road is always just around the corner!