Friends of Fulham

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: love4ffc on July 14, 2026, 08:07:23 PM

Title: France v Spain World Cup Semifinal thread
Post by: love4ffc on July 14, 2026, 08:07:23 PM
I'm going to take a wild guess that most of England would like to see Spain win tonight. 
Title: Re: France v Spain World Cup Semifinal thread
Post by: Steeeeeeeeeed on July 14, 2026, 08:11:07 PM
Spain are terribly dull.

 I want France to win, would make an exciting final at least, and if you want to win the World Cup it is best to do so in an exciting, memeorable final.
Title: Re: France v Spain World Cup Semifinal thread
Post by: love4ffc on July 14, 2026, 08:26:47 PM
Not surprised that the penalty was given.  That is how penalties should be taken.  No stuttering and dancing up to the spot, just run up and put your boot through it. 
Title: Re: France v Spain World Cup Semifinal thread
Post by: bencher on July 14, 2026, 09:07:46 PM
Quote from: love4ffc on July 14, 2026, 08:26:47 PMNot surprised that the penalty was given.  That is how penalties should be taken.  No stuttering and dancing up to the spot, just run up and put your boot through it. 

Why did no one talk about Yamal winning the ball from Digne with his arm? Why is that ignored?
Title: Re: France v Spain World Cup Semifinal thread
Post by: Whitestone on July 14, 2026, 09:09:09 PM
Quote from: love4ffc on July 14, 2026, 08:07:23 PMI'm going to take a wild guess that most of England would like to see Spain win tonight. 

Correct.
Title: Re: France v Spain World Cup Semifinal thread
Post by: Dr Know on July 14, 2026, 09:14:32 PM
Both teams diving and cheating !
Title: Re: France v Spain World Cup Semifinal thread
Post by: Steeeeeeeeeed on July 14, 2026, 09:20:51 PM
2-0 Spain, probably game over, Spain have totally dominated the midfield, France have been so poor, Zero shots on target.after 60.minutes.
Title: Re: France v Spain World Cup Semifinal thread
Post by: bencher on July 14, 2026, 09:23:45 PM
Hard to see either Argentina or England beat this Spain team if they play like this
Title: Re: France v Spain World Cup Semifinal thread
Post by: SerbianLad on July 14, 2026, 09:34:10 PM
I hate watching this Spain team. They deserve their lead at the moment, but I don't like the type of football they play at all.
Title: Re: France v Spain World Cup Semifinal thread
Post by: bencher on July 14, 2026, 09:46:33 PM
Quote from: SerbianLad on July 14, 2026, 09:34:10 PMI hate watching this Spain team. They deserve their lead at the moment, but I don't like the type of football they play at all.

Interesting. They pass so well and have pressed brilliantly. What don't you like about the style?
Title: Re: France v Spain World Cup Semifinal thread
Post by: cmg on July 14, 2026, 09:58:44 PM

...so, as I was saying, about how wonderful this French team are and their majestic progress towards a glorious finale, what time are they kicking off this evening?
Title: Re: France v Spain World Cup Semifinal thread
Post by: love4ffc on July 14, 2026, 10:01:30 PM
France were surprising awful.  Spain controlled that game pretty much the entire game. 
Title: Re: France v Spain World Cup Semifinal thread
Post by: bencher on July 14, 2026, 10:03:13 PM
I always felt France had a weak-ish midfield and Rabiot looked overawed from the first minute. The attackers didn't work hard enough and Spain outran them, then kept the ball really well and while not creating too much (and I have reservations about the penalty after Yamal handled it), kept France at bay comfortably.
Title: Re: France v Spain World Cup Semifinal thread
Post by: cmg on July 14, 2026, 10:03:37 PM
And I've just realised the bloke that's been bugging me all through the bloody competition is Neco Williams.
Title: Re: France v Spain World Cup Semifinal thread
Post by: spikey norman on July 14, 2026, 10:03:45 PM
Spain deserved the win
France were so disappointing after their earlier matches
Title: Re: France v Spain World Cup Semifinal thread
Post by: Steeeeeeeeeed on July 14, 2026, 10:05:35 PM
Spain looking to go be European and World Champs at the same time, again like 2010-2012.
They hardly had to break sweat either.

Maybe Sweden were just really really bad, that was the game that had everybody swooning about France, they looked every poor tonight.
Title: Re: France v Spain World Cup Semifinal thread
Post by: Fulham 442 on July 14, 2026, 10:51:14 PM
Although it pains me to say it Cucarella had a really good game.  Roll on tomorrow night and hopefully an England vs Spain final!
Title: Re: France v Spain World Cup Semifinal thread
Post by: Southcoastffc on July 14, 2026, 11:01:35 PM
Quote from: love4ffc on July 14, 2026, 08:26:47 PMNot surprised that the penalty was given.  That is how penalties should be taken.  No stuttering and dancing up to the spot, just run up and put your boot through it. 
When Raul was with us I didn't care how he scored them, only that he did.
Title: Re: France v Spain World Cup Semifinal thread
Post by: SerbianLad on July 14, 2026, 11:02:57 PM
Quote from: bencher on July 14, 2026, 09:46:33 PM
Quote from: SerbianLad on July 14, 2026, 09:34:10 PMI hate watching this Spain team. They deserve their lead at the moment, but I don't like the type of football they play at all.

Interesting. They pass so well and have pressed brilliantly. What don't you like about the style?
I loved the way they played at the Euros as they were more direct and played at a slightly higher pace, imo at least. Now they're just boring. Sure they press well, but with the ball it's tiring to watch. Endless passing and not many real chances created. They also feign injuries and time waste. They're probably the best team in the tournament at that.

France wasn't good today and Spain deserved to go through. I thought Olise and Mbappe who were probably their best players in the tournament struggled in particular.

I now hope England wins. Can't stand Argentina at this particular tournament and as I've already said, I don't like the way Spain play. So England it is!
Title: Re: France v Spain World Cup Semifinal thread
Post by: demeant0r on July 14, 2026, 11:23:55 PM
Anyone think Oyarzabal looks a bit like Castagne?
Title: Re: France v Spain World Cup Semifinal thread
Post by: Fulham Tup North on July 14, 2026, 11:39:54 PM
 ::scarf:: France were just awful...
They looked shattered...
Was it one game too many for them... ???
Cannot wait for tomorrow 👍👍
Title: Re: France v Spain World Cup Semifinal thread
Post by: Woolly Mammoth on July 15, 2026, 03:59:06 PM
It's all on the day 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Title: Re: France v Spain World Cup Semifinal thread
Post by: Citizen Smith on July 15, 2026, 04:20:40 PM

I loved the way they played at the Euros as they were more direct and played at a slightly higher pace, imo at least. Now they're just boring. Sure they press well, but with the ball it's tiring to watch. Endless passing and not many real chances created. They also feign injuries and time waste. They're probably the best team in the tournament at that.

France wasn't good today and Spain deserved to go through. I thought Olise and Mbappe who were probably their best players in the tournament struggled in particular.

I now hope England wins. Can't stand Argentina at this particular tournament and as I've already said, I don't like the way Spain play. So England it is!
[/quote]
Think this is very harsh on Spain. Rodri and Dani Olmo absolutely ran the show in midfield, their full backs(including the irritating but highly effective Cucurella) never stopped running and in Lamine Yamal they have one of the most exciting prospects in world football. If England had produced that performance against Les Bleus, the country would have been in raptures!
Title: Re: France v Spain World Cup Semifinal thread
Post by: Andrew on July 15, 2026, 04:20:41 PM
I am stunned at how poor France were and conversely (is that the right word?) how good Spain were.

I didn't expect the game to play out as it did but there you go, as Greavsie said 'it's a funny old game.'

France seemed totally unable to cope with Spain's organisation and quality and they went completely to pieces, you would never know they have some of the world's best players.
Title: Re: France v Spain World Cup Semifinal thread
Post by: Bassey the warrior on July 15, 2026, 04:32:29 PM
I expected a lot more from France but Spain put in a defensive masterclass, as they have done for the whole tournament. The full backs were aggressive, stifling the pacy French wingers, the whole back four played an excellent offside trap and keeper had great positioning to sweep up anything that got through. Rodri and Ruiz absolutely dominant, both with and without the ball.

The scary thing is Yamal hasn't actually hit his best form yet, he still looks a bit rusty after his injury. Capable of brilliance but not as consistently effective as usual.

Oyarzabal is a fascinating character, a one club man that has turned down moves to top clubs because he's happy where he is.