Deserves his own thread. What an incredible debut and looks like he's strengthening us immediately.
Looks a definite upgrade on Andersen. Tidy signing for β¬10m, for whatever reason - we tend to do pretty well with signings at a lower price point than big money buys.
I thought that today while watching Wirtz, Isak & Barcola. Are they contributing 10x more to match their crazy price tags? They are not.
I understand more money leads to more expectation, but so many of these big money buys are awful.
Even our big signings in ESR, Kevin & Bobb haven't been great.
I think these big players, get big wages, the maybe become less hungry and motivated? W
superb debut
we may well have a new Hangaland on our hands
Solid performance at a tough ground to make your PL debut. With that being said some of the praise I'm seeing for him is WAY over the top. He wasn't the MOTM (that was Charles), heck he wasn't even our best CB today. Obviously, benefitted from the tactical changes AA made to tighten our defending up. His distribution left a lot to be desired. A couple of really poor passes that put us under pressure (and his overall pass completion rate was not great). But still, a promising performance and I hope to see him build/improve on it.
He was excellent. Even though we knew it, he is surprisingly small. It's hard to tell the difference between him and Castagne at times.
Also he has unusually short strides for a CB but it seems to make him more maneuverable.
Quote from: Chi_FFC on September 13, 2026, 01:40:23 AMSolid performance at a tough ground to make your PL debut. With that being said some of the praise I'm seeing for him is WAY over the top. He wasn't the MOTM (that was Charles), heck he wasn't even our best CB today. Obviously, benefitted from the tactical changes AA made to tighten our defending up. His distribution left a lot to be desired. A couple of really poor passes that put us under pressure (and his overall pass completion rate was not great). But still, a promising performance and I hope to see him build/improve on it.
One nervy passing moment and defensive lapse that we got away with. But a fantastic release ball from him as well for one of our best chances. Can only get better.
Quote from: Porthogs FC on September 13, 2026, 02:37:24 AMQuote from: Chi_FFC on September 13, 2026, 01:40:23 AMSolid performance at a tough ground to make your PL debut. With that being said some of the praise I'm seeing for him is WAY over the top. He wasn't the MOTM (that was Charles), heck he wasn't even our best CB today. Obviously, benefitted from the tactical changes AA made to tighten our defending up. His distribution left a lot to be desired. A couple of really poor passes that put us under pressure (and his overall pass completion rate was not great). But still, a promising performance and I hope to see him build/improve on it.
One nervy passing moment.
There were two really poor passing moments (9th and 69th minute).
Quote from: Chi_FFC on September 13, 2026, 01:40:23 AMSolid performance at a tough ground to make your PL debut. With that being said some of the praise I'm seeing for him is WAY over the top. He wasn't the MOTM (that was Charles), heck he wasn't even our best CB today. Obviously, benefitted from the tactical changes AA made to tighten our defending up. His distribution left a lot to be desired. A couple of really poor passes that put us under pressure (and his overall pass completion rate was not great). But still, a promising performance and I hope to see him build/improve on it.
i'm with you on this, there's a lot of really over the top reactions. He played very well yes and it was a great performance for a debut in a system he's not used to and at Anfield, however he also would have been at fault if Isak scored early on and I forget who had the chance in the 2nd after his error.
Getting the midfield right and seemingly a more reserved Castagne also helped us look more solid today.
Did enjoy him attempting to fire balls through the lines though and long may that continue
Every game at that level he will be a great signing. And I will be happy.
Quote from: McBrideOfFrankenstein on September 13, 2026, 02:08:28 AMHe was excellent. Even though we knew it, he is surprisingly small. It's hard to tell the difference between him and Castagne at times.
Also he has unusually short strides for a CB but it seems to make him more maneuverable.
He is called 'the Horse' in Austria because of his quaint stride. He has a strong background in gymnastics.
Thought his interview on Motd was interesting. Kept referring to the team. Not taking his moment in the spotlight but sharing it.
Quote from: McBrideOfFrankenstein on September 13, 2026, 02:08:28 AM... he is surprisingly small. It's hard to tell the difference between him and Castagne at times.
Both 6'1" according to Wiki
Quote from: Hugh Janus on September 13, 2026, 06:46:30 AMQuote from: McBrideOfFrankenstein on September 13, 2026, 02:08:28 AMHe was excellent. Even though we knew it, he is surprisingly small. It's hard to tell the difference between him and Castagne at times.
Also he has unusually short strides for a CB but it seems to make him more maneuverable.
He is called 'the Horse' in Austria because of his quaint stride. He has a strong background in gymnastics.
That might not be why he's called "horse"......ππ
Quote from: Banstead White on September 13, 2026, 07:44:19 AMQuote from: Hugh Janus on September 13, 2026, 06:46:30 AMQuote from: McBrideOfFrankenstein on September 13, 2026, 02:08:28 AMHe was excellent. Even though we knew it, he is surprisingly small. It's hard to tell the difference between him and Castagne at times.
Also he has unusually short strides for a CB but it seems to make him more maneuverable.
He is called 'the Horse' in Austria because of his quaint stride. He has a strong background in gymnastics.
That might not be why he's called "horse"......ππ
πππππ
Quote from: Chi_FFC on September 13, 2026, 01:40:23 AMSolid performance at a tough ground to make your PL debut. With that being said some of the praise I'm seeing for him is WAY over the top. He wasn't the MOTM (that was Charles), heck he wasn't even our best CB today. Obviously, benefitted from the tactical changes AA made to tighten our defending up. His distribution left a lot to be desired. A couple of really poor passes that put us under pressure (and his overall pass completion rate was not great). But still, a promising performance and I hope to see him build/improve on it.
I agree with you! I watched the match and the best Fulham players were Leno, Charles and Bassey. Even Whoscored player ratings agreed with me!
He's the new kid on the block, so it's normal to go overboard over his performance which was good for a debutant in one of the toughest fixtures in the EPL
Quote from: Chi_FFC on September 13, 2026, 03:08:51 AMQuote from: Porthogs FC on September 13, 2026, 02:37:24 AMQuote from: Chi_FFC on September 13, 2026, 01:40:23 AMSolid performance at a tough ground to make your PL debut. With that being said some of the praise I'm seeing for him is WAY over the top. He wasn't the MOTM (that was Charles), heck he wasn't even our best CB today. Obviously, benefitted from the tactical changes AA made to tighten our defending up. His distribution left a lot to be desired. A couple of really poor passes that put us under pressure (and his overall pass completion rate was not great). But still, a promising performance and I hope to see him build/improve on it.
One nervy passing moment.
There were two really poor passing moments (9th and 69th minute).
A lot less than Anderson then
Quote from: Chi_FFC on September 13, 2026, 01:40:23 AMSolid performance at a tough ground to make your PL debut. With that being said some of the praise I'm seeing for him is WAY over the top. He wasn't the MOTM (that was Charles), heck he wasn't even our best CB today. Obviously, benefitted from the tactical changes AA made to tighten our defending up. His distribution left a lot to be desired. A couple of really poor passes that put us under pressure (and his overall pass completion rate was not great). But still, a promising performance and I hope to see him build/improve on it.
This feels more measured. I didn't watch the game, but just watching the highlights I saw a few wayward passes from him, one of which ended up with a Liverpool shot on goal, so not 100% convinced he's the new messiah for us defensively, though happy to hold judgement until I see him properly play.
I also get the impression that Arbeloa played a more defensive game tactically from what I can glean reading articles and match reports, which strikes me as similar to the Sunderland game, a game where we looked a lot better defensively and only conceded a late goal to lose.. which, if so, puts it more down to tactics then personnel, even though people are very excited about Affengruber, makes me far less keen to just jump on bandwagon to write off Andersen.
Those are the more cautious thoughts and read on him, though I'm aware a lot of people seem to be raving about him, so it's balanced with a bit more excitement if he genuinely is a Hangeland regen.
I think it's not overboard to be happy with what was a very assured performance away from home against Liverpool.
We've been so accustomed to seeing Andersen being lethargic in his game - not blocking shots, being half a yard of the pace with positioning, lapses in concentration. That someone doing all these things right genuinely made a huge difference. Let's not forget Castagne is no defensive rock next to him.
Our RCB position has been an issue post Tosin, and I'm really happy with what I saw. Sure there were a few missed passes. That happens - most CBs have a couple of these. Bassey has far less of them now than he used to. Andersen who is a good passer will do so fairly often as well, as he's tasked with line breaking passes.
Also not sure I agree with people on this thread trying to say X and X were better, as what was successful today was how all the parts worked in tandem, as a unit and you're only as good as your weakest link. CB partnerships are important and there were great signs that Bassey and Affengruber will be a boost for us together.
Super debut,let's hope he can do it all the time.
People need to remember,especially those giving Andersen a bad time of late,were all praise for him when he started out with us.
Super debut as I've said,but I'll reserve judgement till he's played a few games.
Quote from: Chi_FFC on September 13, 2026, 01:40:23 AMSolid performance at a tough ground to make your PL debut. With that being said some of the praise I'm seeing for him is WAY over the top. He wasn't the MOTM (that was Charles), heck he wasn't even our best CB today. Obviously, benefitted from the tactical changes AA made to tighten our defending up. His distribution left a lot to be desired. A couple of really poor passes that put us under pressure (and his overall pass completion rate was not great). But still, a promising performance and I hope to see him build/improve on it.
I thought he was our best defender, so often he was in exactly the right place to sniff out the attack.
He played a few bad passes but that was because he was trying to play through the lines rather than just sideways. Credit to him for his ambition, though I might be a bit more critical if it had led to a Liverpool goal.
Interesting to note that he cost us exactly the same fee that we sold Diop for, Β£8.5m. Four years younger too.
If he keeps this up, this will be quite the bargain.
Looks like a clever signing so far. I'm excited to see how he beds in.
Quote from: SimonDaviesEnjoyer on September 13, 2026, 10:19:19 AMLooks like a clever signing so far. I'm excited to see how he beds in.
PlayedΒ well but early days Man Utd next week then 3 season make or breakers. Difficult oppositions and different challenges.
Great debut, let's hope that he can keep it up.
I thought he was progressive in his passing and looked good on the ball. Really promising start and deserved the MOTM accolade.
Not much went passed him. On that performance, he's far better than Andersen (at least for this style of play). Funny how our cheaper purchases seem do better than the more expensive ones.
Quote from: Banstead White on September 13, 2026, 07:44:19 AMQuote from: Hugh Janus on September 13, 2026, 06:46:30 AMQuote from: McBrideOfFrankenstein on September 13, 2026, 02:08:28 AMHe was excellent. Even though we knew it, he is surprisingly small. It's hard to tell the difference between him and Castagne at times.
Also he has unusually short strides for a CB but it seems to make him more maneuverable.
He is called 'the Horse' in Austria because of his quaint stride. He has a strong background in gymnastics.
That might not be why he's called "horse"......ππ
Steady......
Quote from: demeant0r on September 13, 2026, 12:12:22 PMNot much went passed him. On that performance, he's far better than Andersen (at least for this style of play). Funny how our cheaper purchases seem do better than the more expensive ones.
totally agreedΒ ::thumb::
Hope we stuff fat frank in a few weeks time.
MOTM for me because it was his debut at Anfield. Shea had a better game, but context matters.
Some overly critical comments on here about his misplaced passing?? Played a couple of iffy passes and a few went out of touch but they were borderline clearances
I don't think the plaudits for him was going OTT,Roy Keane was glowing in his praise . I was there yesterday and he was outstanding . Read the game superbly and his positional sense was spot on, looks a very intelligent player . He was admittedly ,helped by Iwobi and Bobb covering the gaping gaps of recent weeks and Charles and Berge dropping a bit deeper
All in all an extremely positive debut, hopefully he can perform at a similar level for the rest of the season, if he does he's first choice alongside Bassey all day long
Quote from: HillingdonFFC on September 13, 2026, 04:34:30 PMSome overly critical comments on here about his misplaced passing?? Played a couple of iffy passes and a few went out of touch but they were borderline clearances
I don't think the plaudits for him was going OTT,Roy Keane was glowing in his praise
Sorry, he made two really poor passes that put us under real pressure. He needs to improve his decision making in those instances (if a certain other Fulham CB had made those passes...and then gotten blown by after making one of those bad passes (thankfully Berge bailed him out in that instance) we never would have heard the end of it). As for the Roy Keane quote making the rounds on twitter, that came from a notorious account that fabricates quotes from players/coaches/commentators for engagement.
Quote from: Chi_FFC on September 13, 2026, 04:56:32 PMQuote from: HillingdonFFC on September 13, 2026, 04:34:30 PMSome overly critical comments on here about his misplaced passing?? Played a couple of iffy passes and a few went out of touch but they were borderline clearances
I don't think the plaudits for him was going OTT,Roy Keane was glowing in his praise
Sorry, he made two really poor passes that put us under real pressure. He needs to improve his decision making in those instances (if a certain other Fulham CB had made those passes...and then gotten blown by after making one of those bad passes (thankfully Berge bailed him out in that instance) we never would have heard the end of it). As for the Roy Keane quote making the rounds on twitter, that came from a notorious account that fabricates quotes from players/coaches/commentators for engagement.
Wow a human made a mistake in his first game, sell him quick.
Quote from: Trusty Steed on September 13, 2026, 12:35:01 AMI thought that today while watching Wirtz, Isak & Barcola. Are they contributing 10x more to match their crazy price tags? They are not.
I understand more money leads to more expectation, but so many of these big money buys are awful.
Even our big signings in ESR, Kevin & Bobb haven't been great.
I think these big players, get big wages, the maybe become less hungry and motivated? W
sooo true Brentford are a classic example of what you've said .
Quote from: demeant0r on September 13, 2026, 12:12:22 PMNot much went passed him. On that performance, he's far better than Andersen (at least for this style of play). Funny how our cheaper purchases seem do better than the more expensive ones.
This is very accurate, though hopefully Charles and Garcia break that trend. Another pricey flop, Anguissa, would've been perfect in this team.
I dont like the conga chant
It should be " David, David David, David David, David Affengrubber"
to No Limits
Quote from: HillingdonFFC on September 13, 2026, 04:34:30 PMSome overly critical comments on here about his misplaced passing?? Played a couple of iffy passes and a few went out of touch but they were borderline clearances
I don't think the plaudits for him was going OTT,Roy Keane was glowing in his praise . I was there yesterday and he was outstanding . Read the game superbly and his positional sense was spot on, looks a very intelligent player . He was admittedly ,helped by Iwobi and Bobb covering the gaping gaps of recent weeks and Charles and Berge dropping a bit deeper
All in all an extremely positive debut, hopefully he can perform at a similar level for the rest of the season, if he does he's first choice alongside Bassey all day long
I think those Keane quotes are AI slop unfortunately. But agree with everything you say otherwise!
For his first game...did well.
After watching 3 complete Elche games (where he was captain for one) I'm hopefully that he will prove a perfect partner to Bassey's athleticism.
Smart at the back, good enough pace.Β
Just as we saw in this game...he's apt to put the odd pass out there...but in the 4 games i've watched...none of his bad passes have resulted in the opposing team scoring (Barcelona/Sevilla/Liverpool).Β Β
We may have gotten a steal. (Who Arbeloa obviously saw play at Elche)
Enjoyed seeing his interaction with his wife in the latest Full Access...A Point..
A good debut. I thought he played well and was helped by the overall structure of the team which was far more solid.
I liked how at the end of the game he came over to applaud the fans and show his appreciation. There's a video of him saying he wants to keep his debut shirt after a fan asks for it. He seems really happy to be at Fulham, down to earth and not a prima donna who only cares about their Instagram. I think he'll be a good person around the squad in this regard and soon a fan favourite.
Apparently Affengruber was someone Arbeloa really wanted since he joined us in July. So why did it take the deadline day to get him?
Good to read the measured praise for Affengruber.Β I was a little concerned that it would be OTT and that he'd be seen as some kind of Messiah (remember Michael Hector anyone?)